OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
User-submitted news is for news that you want to appear on the first page. Thus it should be gaming/electronics-related.

Non-gaming news goes in general off-topic. Politics, natural disasters, rednecks being douchebags... that's off-topic stuff, not front-page-on-a-gaming-site stuff.

Could the forum descriptions/rules be clarified for this?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When posting on USN there's an option to mark when you want it to be considered for front page. For unrelated news, don't tick it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It still puts it in the same forum, and it's annoying to try to check the forum out for gaming news that might not be front-page worthy but still interesting and seeing a bunch of non-gaming news.

Non-gaming news would get more appreciation and views in the off-topic forum as well, since people don't exactly think "I'll check the forum for news that's supposed to go on the front page of a gaming website!" when they think of checking for a political discussion.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The idea of splitting USN into Gaming-relevant news and other news has been brought up before, and I remember that I was for the idea. I don't mind the news being there, personally, but if people don't want to see it at all and browse the forum by board rather than searching for new posts, then a separate sub-forum couldn't hurt.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I remember someone saying to just put non-gaming news in General Off Topic and gaming news in USN.

But generally people don't care, the description doesn't say anything about it being gaming-specific. And if you don't want to read non-gaming news then you just don't read the non-gaming news stuff.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I remember the last time this was suggested, it was during a period when we had a bit of a fad for posting political stuff and there was a slew of that sort of news being posted. Generally I don't mind non gaming and tech news being posted as long as its not something completely unsuitable. Currently we have only two non tech/gaming related news post on the first page of USN so I don't consider this a huge issue myself as this type of news isn't exactly prevalent.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I wanted the new MySpace logo to be on the front page!
cry.gif

/jackassery

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was kinda sick of seeing news about wars.....It clogged my view when trying to find news.

I think this is a gaming and tech forum. It should stay to that. Unless it's in the off-topic section.

Just my 2 cents

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Vulpes Abnocto said:
But I wanted the new MySpace logo to be on the front page!
cry.gif

/jackassery
It was technically still news, and it wasn't front page; I don't even think the OP ticked that box.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Rydian @ Oct 29 2010, 03:33 AM) People are misreading (or not reading).

I'm fine with this stuff, however I think it's in the wrong forum.

I'm fine with non-gaming stuff, but it doesn't belong in the gaming sections.
There's still nothing saying USN has to be gaming related.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I think it would be better if more people ticked the 'Yes, I'd like my article to be published on the front page' for threads related to Gaming and leaving everything that shouldn't be on the front-page that is just general news or likewise in the User-Submitted News area...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
When did I post something twice on one page only to have it ignored?

Oh yeah, this thread.

Rydian said:
Non-gaming news would get more appreciation and views in the off-topic forum as well
QUOTE(Rydian @ Oct 28 2010, 09:58 PM) I'd like the rules clarified so people are more likely to post it in the off-topic section where it'd get more views from more people.

Y'all are confusing this with the point of an earlier thread. Don't.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I really don't care either way. I would rather have all the news in one place. If User Submitted News isn't worthy of all news, then stop complaining until it's changed. Most of the people in the forum don't care, but to me one simple click to view ALL important news is great. There is also less movements to cause Carpal tunnel.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Rydian said:
Bladexdsl said:
just don't read it if you don't like it
tongue.gif
Like you didn't read more than the first post here?
tongue.gif

and it's annoying to try to check the forum out for gaming news that might not be front-page worthy

dude it's not that hard to do i can skip through it in seconds and find what i'm looking for

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: