User Submitted News Moderation?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by GreatZimkogway, Jan 4, 2012.

Jan 4, 2012
  1. GreatZimkogway
    OP

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    I've been seeing an absurd amount of false or misinterpreted information(Or irrelevant) spreading in the User Submitted News section recently. Could it be time for a moderation team to preview and verify the legitimacy of anything posted in there?

2. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    ^ Most of the time its Random User Speculations.

1 person likes this.
  3. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    If you find a news submission that is inaccurate or speculative just hit the 'report' button and explain why it should be moved, edited, or deleted.

I don't think that a preverification system for User News is a good idea because it would require a bunch of extra coding plus it would create a "Big Brother" feel to this forum. GBAtemp prides itself on being wild, carefree, and 'guided by its members' (that's my impression at least :P ).

4 people like this.
  4. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    @Snailface: that's mostly true, the podcasts and other media's are run separately from the moderation, by most parts.
    Since it's a homebrew community after all, trust is built more between users. Staff seem to mostly just weed out the bad eggs that appear once in a blue moon.

The real improvement lies in being critical to what you're reading, and deciding whether the post should be on USN or not with a report. That's all.

1 person likes this.
  5. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

as the title says this section is user driven / user powered.
    the staff team ensures that reliable news are posted to the homepage but other than that, threads in the USN forum have got nothing "official" about them, so yeah people make mistakes and sometimes believe absurd rumors, heck what can we do about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    Rumors are Rumors so what i say let them post them