useing a hard drive to play back ups

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by cameron26, Sep 17, 2010.

Sep 17, 2010
  1. cameron26
    OP

Newcomer cameron26 Member

United States
    [​IMG] morning. I have twilight hack with wii gqator back up channell. I also have HBC installed. Currently i used disks to play back ups. What i want to do is use a HDD cause less space. I read the sticky. But just didnt get it.

Couple things what brand hdd and what size and specs do i need? What prog do i need to install it on my wii? Is there a guide? My dfirmware is 3.4 us of a.

Thank you very much in advance

2. Loop

Member Loop GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here are a couple of links to help you out.

USB Loader Guide

Check THIS LIST for which USB devices are compatible with the Wii

Personally I have 3.4U as well and use 'USB Config Loader' - you install the loader the same way as most apps by putting their folder into the 'apps' folder on your SD card
    The guide link above should explain everything. You would then run the loader via the HBC, or optionally install a forwarder channel which will appear on your system menu screen.

I use a Toshiba 500GB drive - I would definitely recommend picking a USB drive which doesn't require a AC adapter (is powered over USB) or one which automatically turns on when you power on your Wii. I thought that 500GB was way too much but as more dual layer games come out I've been slowly filling it up. 320GB should be plenty of room though, and you can pick them up very cheap!

Good luck.

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    easiest way for u to get it up and running quickly is to use ModMii's USB-Loader Setup Feature (program in my signature)

cheers dude, and good luck

4. cameron26
    OP

United States

i never used that how does it work?ty guys for the replys . I got this HDD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CZQ4GK/ref=oss_product

hope its good. and enough space? Now they way i backed up befiore i woould put the orginal in the wii and get a link and go on pc and it would dl to my pc. How do i get that to the HDD? Anything else i need to buy besides the HDD?

5. Loop

Member Loop GBAtemp Regular

United States
    once you have USB loader set up, you should be able to back up directly from the Wii to your USB drive using the USB loader app

6. cameron26
    OP

United States
    just got my hdd in the mail wish me luck [​IMG] what if they have updates in them? The games that is.

which do i use the guide or the mod wii?

all i wanna do is put back ups on hdd and play them really no special stuff.

also how do i format the hdd to read wii stuff?

I found this but i think its old http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzPe_cP3dC8

im lost [​IMG]

7. jaynecobb

Newcomer jaynecobb Advanced Member

United States
    far and away the easiest way to hack a wii. [​IMG]

xflak did an absolutely wonderful job at dummying this down for anyone to use.

you really can't go wrong...unless you can read and are prone to body twitches causing you to hit random buttons and power cycling at inopportune times.

8. cameron26
    OP

United States
    k im on mod wii and i downloaded it ,a nd its running now. 1 thing is all i want to do is back up and load games from my usb harddrive to play on the wii. The harddrive is brand new 320g. My firmware is 3.4 i dont wanna upgrade it unless there is a good reason to.

also want to store larger games on there. Wanna put all types of games. Note this hdd is only for wii games.

ModMii v4.2.8
    by XFlak

Enter the drive letter (or Path) to save files for your USB Hard Drive

Current Setting: COPY_TO_USB

Notes: * To continue using Current Settings
    leave the selection blank and hit enter.

* You can drag and drop the Drive/folder into this
    window to save yourself having to manually type it

* If you experience errors, try removing any quotes
    before and after your text (if applicable)

* If you continue to experience errors, try using default settings

EXAMPLES

L:

%userprofile%\Desktop\COPY_TO_USB
    Note: %userprofile% shortcut doesn't work on Windows XP

ModMii\4.2U
    Note: this creates ModMii\4.2U folders where this program is Saved

C:\Users\XFlak\Desktop\New Folder

D = Default Setting: COPY_TO_USB

B = Back

M = Main Menu

Enter Selection Here:

im stuck here

9. cameron26
    OP

United States
    ifi i gpt 3.4 do i need to upgrade to 4.1 ? i believe i got the most recent cios. i just ran dop shop and had to have a certain cios for that.

10. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You should upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2.

That way you can still hack your Wii, you have much later IOS's., and can use the SD Menu.

You can use Xflaks Mod_Mii to both Upgrade to 4.x (Suggest you dont go to 4.3 - too much trouble to hack), and then install custom IOS,s, Configurable USB loader, and your away.

Fomat the HDD FAT32 in 1 large partition. Use Easus Free Partition Manager for that.

http://www.partition-tool.com/

Have fun.

11. cameron26
    OP

United States
    i never have done a partition how much do i put? This hdd is only for wii games.

i was told to make 2 partitions. 1 for fat32 and 1 for wbfs.

if anyone has aim or icq or anything to help me

12. Dust2dust

Member Dust2dust GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    For a 320GB hard disk, just one FAT32 partition, and your're all set. Forget about a wbfs partition, this is more trouble than it's worth. A fat32 partition will run all your games perfectly, and you also can run homebrews off it. I suggest CFG USB Loader for your loader.

13. cameron26
    OP

United States
    I couldnt get config usb loader to work cause it needed 222. I dont have that i guess so i used another on that was already on my wii i guess. Its called sd/usb loader v 1.4 tekno consoles.es

My hdd was fat32 formatted for modmii. When i started the sd ub loader is said there was no wfbs on it so i said to make a partition i believe i made the whole size 320 a wbfs parttion. Now im putting my back up on there is this a good idea? Or did i do wrong? Plz help.

i think i need a ios222 installer

14. elmoreas

Member elmoreas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You need to update to 4.2 and dop the shop to ver 20 and add ios 58 so you will essentially be on 4.3 while still being on 4.2 and make sure your HBC is on 1.0.8 too.

Edit: Not saying this is the silver bullet here but it should help, and yes you need ios 222 installed

15. cameron26
    OP

United States

do i have to update to 4.2 to play the new games?

im useing modmii to update do i just replace the new Insd cfolder with my old files? i went to 4.1 cause it said recommended. But i had the lu64 models. Do i take my orginal sd card and replace the new upgrade ones from goes into sd folder to that one and replace the old files? or just put these new fiels on a brand new sd card?

like i got hbc and stuff. Do i need to still install it ?

16. cameron26
    OP

United States
    K I upgraded to 4.1 u. It was very easy with mod moi. I just get scared whn I have to do big things to my system. Again Ty to the maker of mod mii. Only prob I got is when I click on the sd icon after it says loading sd card it freezes my wii.

Next thing I have to do is install USB useing modmii. Wish me luck. Hope it works for all my games. The way I did it before I loaded moh 2 it froze and did t work. Hopefully this one won't freeze games.

The only step I didn't do was install bootmii. That's the first step. Dunno if I should or not.

Is there a list of games that don't work with modmii USB loader? I want old and new games to play!