Hardware Used old 3ds ($50) vs used new 3ds XL ($100), is the $50 worth it?

DbGt

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
So im looking into buying a second 3ds for my GF, I still have and use a modified launch old 3ds.

I can get a used old 3ds for $50, a used old 3ds XL for $65 or a used new 3ds xl for $100.

I will of course modify it, and Im looking to spend as little as possible, but still im curious. Does a (used) new 3ds XL is worth $50 more than a regular old 3ds? As far as i know the only upgrades it have are increased battery life and some (very few) "exclusive" games.

Will I be missing anything?

Thanks

EDIT: I never use 3D, so i dont care too much about that

Last edited by DbGt,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im looking into buying a second 3ds for my GF,
and Im looking to spend as little as possible, ...
lol (i cant be the only one who noticed this) . . . dude really . . . i am sure thats how to win her heart
great 3d capability, smoother emulation (and more emulators in general), a second set of shoulders, an annoyingly small but built in c-stick . . . basically a stronger system with the other half of the controller nintendo cheated the "ambassadors" (yourself included) out of . . .
thats what i said until i tried it, that super stable 3d is fan-fuckin'-tastic :yay:

all in all the n3ds is far superior to the o3ds. even if there are few exclusive games (if you have never played the first xenoblade you need to its great . . . its far better on the wii but i digress) there are still games like smash and hyrule warriors that benefit greatly from the consoles hardware boost, not to mention luma will let you boot any 3ds game with n3ds processing power (including games that normally dont trigger the processing power boost)
You don't think you need the performance boost until you play Sm4sh, like honestly
*cough* hyrule warriors Hyrule Warriors Legends old 3DS VS New 3DS . . . *cough*

Last edited by wormdood,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were do ppls find these new 3ds so cheap, i was lucky to find a o3ds for 80 2 months ago. used ofcourse.
Try your local OFFERUP. Thing with OFFERUP is that those people need a smart phone to be able to sell (technically you can install Android emulator on PC to do the same, but not many do so). This means, these people may be more interested in their phone than a portable game console = more cheaper price. Craigslist sellers are more tougher negotiator and they know the pricing better.

Got a N3DS XL Pokemon SUN & Moon with IPS screen top from OFFERUP for $120. In the end, was able to sell the game the seller include to get it down to $100.

Beside performance, O3DS missed out some good games: Xenoblade, Minecraft

Last edited by tivu100,

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So im looking into buying a second 3ds for my GF, I still have and use a modified launch old 3ds.

I can get a used old 3ds for $50, a used old 3ds XL for $65 or a used new 3ds xl for $100.

I will of course modify it, and Im looking to spend as little as possible, but still im curious. Does a (used) new 3ds XL is worth $50 more than a regular old 3ds? As far as i know the only upgrades it have are increased battery life and some (very few) "exclusive" games.

Thanks

If you plan on staying with this girl for the rest of your life, buy her the n3ds, otherwise get her the o3ds. Don't wastefully spend your money.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Same as @wormdood said, shouldn't you get her a designer bag or something? Unless she's Superwoman or Gamer Girl.

Reactions: DbGt

DbGt

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
lol (i cant be the only one who noticed this) . . . dude really . . . i am sure thats how to win her heart

lol Well I already won her heart 7 years ago, also shes not with me because I give her expensive things but because she likes me :yay:. Also, its not like she will care about getting the old or new 3ds, so no need to spend. AND the truth is that if I buy the (used) new 3ds XL, I will keep it and I will give her my old 3ds....... the point is getting another 3ds, so she can have one :teach:

all in all the n3ds is far superior to the o3ds. even if there are few exclusive games (if you have never played the first xenoblade you need to its great . . . its far better on the wii but i digress) there are still games like smash and hyrule warriors that benefit greatly from the consoles hardware boost, not to mention luma will let you boot any 3ds game with n3ds processing power (including games that normally dont trigger the processing power boost)
*cough* hyrule warriors Hyrule Warriors Legends old 3DS VS New 3DS . . . *cough*

Ohh didnt knew that about Luma, seems interesting. I never played Xenoblade but I have a Wii U where I could play it, or on my PC.

Were do ppls find these new 3ds so cheap, i was lucky to find a o3ds for 80 2 months ago. used ofcourse.

I live in Japan, and thats what used 3ds cost here

DbGt

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
If you plan on staying with this girl for the rest of your life, buy her the n3ds, otherwise get her the o3ds. Don't wastefully spend your money.

Same as @wormdood said, shouldn't you get her a designer bag or something? Unless she's Superwoman or Gamer Girl.

lol, I probably will stay with her for the rest of my life, but as I said, if I get the n3ds I will be the one keeping it and I would give her my old 3ds.

whats wrong in giving her a 3ds? its not like the only thing you can give girls are designer bags or "something". She plays and likes games, so I want her to play the new pokemon with me (and all the awesome library the 3ds has)

Reactions: comput3rus3r

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
definitely get the new 3ds either way. if you have a choice try to check to see if you can find one with ips screens.
i dont know about your area but every single hyrule edition n3dsxl i have seen has been dual ips (9 out of 9)
lol Well I already won her heart 7 years ago, also shes not with me because I give her expensive things but because she likes me :yay:. Also, its not like she will care about getting the old or new 3ds, so no need to spend. AND the truth is that if I buy the (used) new 3ds XL, I will keep it and I will give her my old 3ds....... the point is getting another 3ds, so she can have one :teach:
fair enough (get the n3ds . . . unless sour sd card is tiny then you may want to consider the o3ds and two new sd cards [one for each])... also my girlfriend would not stand for that, she would take the n3ds from me because she knows (it looks upgraded/updated). . . oh and wait until you hit like 17 years (like me) look back and realize you have been with her for over half your life (not to say there is a problem with that . . . but . . . daaaaaaamn !!!!) then you wont even want to talk about longevity
Ohh didnt knew that about Luma, seems interesting.
some games may crash when the option is enabled so it may take a little tinkering to get the ideal result
I never played Xenoblade but I have a Wii U where I could play it
then you should totally ignore the n3ds version and play it on the wii u

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, I probably will stay with her for the rest of my life, but as I said, if I get the n3ds I will be the one keeping it and I would give her my old 3ds.

whats wrong in giving her a 3ds? its not like the only thing you can give girls are designer bags or "something". She plays and likes games, so I want her to play the new pokemon with me (and all the awesome library the 3ds has)
Note the 'probably'. And you said:
im looking into buying a second 3ds for my GF,
If you give her your ol' trash 3ds, she will think of it as a hand-me-down, and see you as a stingy, cheap, mean ex-boyfriend, if you know what I mean.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.