Used ModMii; USB hard drive no longer detected (by forwarder?)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Louis Cypher, May 29, 2011.

1. Louis Cypher
    OP

Newcomer Louis Cypher Newbie

United States
    Hi guys,

Today I decided to get with the program. My Wii's been hacked for several years; would you believe I only just today heard of ModMii? Great little tool - told me exactly what I needed. But now that I've updated everything, my USB hard drive (2GB FAT32 / 140-ish GB WBFS split) is no longer being recognized. A little experimentation makes it seem like the forwarder channel specifically isn't able to detect the drive, because I can launch CUSBL from the HBC, and the forwarder channel works okay if I have an SD card with the application on it. The directory structure on the USB drive and the SD Card is identical, so the apps subfolder name doesn't seem like it's at fault.

I'm running 4.1U, with all the latest stuff that ModMii installed. Here's the guide/list...
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Appreciate any help you guys can offer. For what it's worth, I have no idea what was installed prior to going through the ModMii process. I grabbed IOSes and cIOSes by word of mouth, picking and choosing what I needed as new games showed up. It was kind of pathetic :/ I was looking forward to ModMii helping me get up to date, and this seems to be the only issue I've got left.

2. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    <!--quoteo(post=3672538:date=May 29 2011, 07:18 AM:name=Louis Cypher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Louis Cypher @ May 29 2011, 07:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3672538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi guys,

Today I decided to get with the program. My Wii's been hacked for several years; would you believe I only just today heard of ModMii? Great little tool - told me exactly what I needed. But now that I've updated everything, my USB hard drive (2GB FAT32 / 140-ish GB WBFS split) is no longer being recognized. A little experimentation makes it seem like the forwarder channel specifically isn't able to detect the drive, because I can launch CUSBL from the HBC, and the forwarder channel works okay if I have an SD card with the application on it. The directory structure on the USB drive and the SD Card is identical, so the apps subfolder name doesn't seem like it's at fault.

I'm running 4.1U, with all the latest stuff that ModMii installed. Here's the guide/list...
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Appreciate any help you guys can offer. For what it's worth, I have no idea what was installed prior to going through the ModMii process. I grabbed IOSes and cIOSes by word of mouth, picking and choosing what I needed as new games showed up. It was kind of pathetic :/ I was looking forward to ModMii helping me get up to date, and this seems to be the only issue I've got left.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, you did everything right.
    Did you install the channel that comes with modmii?

3. Louis Cypher
    OP

United States
    I uninstalled most everything I had before starting to follow the guide, so the forwarder channel must have come from Modmii. I'm getting the same symptoms on a truly virgin 4.3U Wii I'm hacking for a friend, as well.

I don't mind leaving the SD card in the slot, but it'd be nice to not have to use it. Is it possible that the forwarder channel isn't detecting the FAT32 partition because it's physically the second partition on the disk?

4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    If it isn't the Primary partition, it won't detect it. You should backup your games with Wii Backup Manager (can be downloaded with ModMii) and format the whole thing as FAT32, then use Wii Backup Manager to transfer them all back as wbfs files.

5. Louis Cypher
    OP

United States
    There's a problem with that option, unfortunately; WBFS Manager and Wii Backup Manager both begin to copy, and they get as far as a few megabytes, then they lock up. Wii Backup Manager for instance has been sitting doing nothing for the past five minutes, with a total time listed as 00:00:00.

This is an old 160GB IDE drive sitting in an external USB enclosure; when I get home I'll probably try just plugging it directly into the mainboard of my home tower computer (instead of the laptop it's hooked up to right now via USB.) But if that doesn't work, I don't know...

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    You could always just format the HDD and re-rip the games to your HDD.

7. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Two things:

1. Its an external drive. The enclosure may be dying. Pick up a new one for $20 and then reformat the drive (the old enclosure has probably introduced errors which will get worse over time)

2. Its an IDE drive, it seems. Therefore, it's probably old. A bit more expensive to replace, but meh.

As for the data on it, as far as I'm concerned, its good as dead. Luckily, the internet has most of them still.