Gaming Used Jtag Xbox 360 for $200 dollars, Is it expensive?

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys, finally I decided to buy the Xbox 360 from my friend tomorrow. He will give me the Xbox 360, a controller, and a 250GB hard drive for $200 dollars, and maybe, because he is a friend of mine, he will give me some kind of warranty. I believe that it is a good price, but to be honest, I don't know. I want your opinion before making the purchase guys, because I know that you have knowledge about these things
lecture.gif

So, What do you think? Should I buy it after all or not? and if your answer is yes, please tell me where could I buy a cheap Xbox 360 controller to play with my sister and brother, thanks
happy.gif

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends if he has had any problems with it. Most of the 360s that are capable of using JTAG exploits are really old since the updates to stop it were a long time ago. This means it would have a higher chance of being one of the batches that were more prone to RRoDs.

If you know it works fine then it is an ok deal.

Extra controllers keep their value pretty well so you won't see them much cheaper used than they are new... About 30-35 for wireless, 25-30 wired.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm....I don't know. The HDD looks promising. (I bought a 60 GB one for $70's)
A JTAG XBOX 360, is nice, but can't go online. (Unless you want to get banned, but I'm sure you know.)
No cables? How are you supposed to play it without cables?
Is the controller Wireless.

Just wait for FAST, to post. He'll tell you.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
It depends if he has had any problems with it. Most of the 360s that are capable of using JTAG exploits are really old since the updates to stop it were a long time ago. This means it would have a higher chance of being one of the batches that were more prone to RRoDs.

If you know it works fine then it is an ok deal.

Extra controllers keep their value pretty well so you won't see them much cheaper used than they are new... About 30-35 for wireless, 25-30 wired.

I believe that it works well, I will try to buy a wireless controller, thanks for the answer
happy.gif

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoxasIsSora said:
Hm....I don't know. The HDD looks promising. (I bought a 60 GB one for $70's)
A JTAG XBOX 360, is nice, but can't go online. (Unless you want to get banned, but I'm sure you know.)
No cables? How are you supposed to play it without cables?
Is the controller Wireless.

Just wait for FAST, to post. He'll tell you.
Yes, the controller is wireless, and it has cables, my friend said that it supports HD. So, I believe that at least, it is not a very old version (of the first ones created, I hope). I know that I won't be able to play online, but honestly, and I don't play online very much, and I don't have too much time for that
closedeyes.gif

I will wait for FAST to answer, thank you for your answer too
happy.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it comes with a controller, big hard drive and cables that is a great price.
It will no difference for the JTAG box but is that a 250 drive that works with any 360 or just a JTAG one?

As for video I will mention that 360s have a VGA option as well which is pretty useful.

As for online we do have a system link option available now:
http://gbatemp.net/t237738-new-workaround-...link-ping-limit

As for controllers I tend to get them with 360s when I get them or get them given as a "if you can fix it you can have it" sort of thing so I can not really help you there.

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
you could get new wireless controllers from ebay or sometimes amazon dot com for $25-$30

btw, what does System Link do? it allows you to play online even if on a Jtagged????

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
System link is a feature built into some games* that allow you to play multiplayer over a local network- no need for full VPN either as you can use things like xlink kai, hamachi and other simplified services if you do not fancy setting up a VPN (nothing special- indeed messing with the firewall/port forwarding and distributing keys is probably the hardest step). The nice thing about some of the game oriented services is that you can have lobbies as well. Do bear in mind though it is more likely than not that it is a full VPN (their machine is essentially on your local network) so do disable shares or password them.

*it is far from all games that have live/splitscreen but more than a few do and it is good: http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=1&...&released=Y and wikipedia has a half decent list for once: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_...stem_Link_games although I am not sure about some of them.

This worked brilliantly for the xbox 1 era and many other consoles of the time but with the 360 MS set it so that you need a ping time below 30 milliseconds (not easy on present networks unless you are next door to someone on the same network/loop and useless for across the country play) which kicked that in the head until the other day when that ping limit removal patch got released.

We are very far from making something akin to world of warcraft private servers or a better example in the hacked versions of steam but for xbox live and I do not think anybody is working on such a thing.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
If it comes with a controller, big hard drive and cables that is a great price.
It will no difference for the JTAG box but is that a 250 drive that works with any 360 or just a JTAG one?

As for video I will mention that 360s have a VGA option as well which is pretty useful.

As for online we do have a system link option available now:
http://gbatemp.net/t237738-new-workaround-...link-ping-limit

As for controllers I tend to get them with 360s when I get them or get them given as a "if you can fix it you can have it" sort of thing so I can not really help you there.

I don't know, I believe it is just a Jtag drive, but I guess I will buy it, I believe that it will be harder to find another one in some other place, and by the way, the person who sells the xbox is my friend, so I think that there will be no much problem.

Thanks FAST
happy.gif

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last thing to note is that you will not be able to run newer games on the console due to it forcing you to upgrade if you want to run them. So anything newer that you would want to run wouldn't be possible if you wanted to keep the JTAG capability. Most people in this position will have one JTAG console and one updated console to play the newer games on so they don't miss a thing.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
One last thing to note is that you will not be able to run newer games on the console due to it forcing you to upgrade if you want to run them. So anything newer that you would want to run wouldn't be possible if you wanted to keep the JTAG capability. Most people in this position will have one JTAG console and one updated console to play the newer games on so they don't miss a thing.

What!? Are you serious? So, I won't be able to play newer games like Red Dead Redemption, True Crime, or Marvel vs Capcom 3 when they come out? I was waiting for those two games. Oh My God, I can't believe it, It won't be possible with anything out there then?
cry.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can update but not via official means (old homebrew definitely stopped new games- this newer iteration does things better on this front), this is the fun thing about the rebooters.

As far as I am aware even the last XBReboot can still run all current games (I am playing through a backlog but alpha protocol is among those) and the current freeboot is based on the latest kernel. If and when wave 7 appears xbr might lose out but freeboot will still be good.

Moral of the story- make sure you have a copy of the original NAND dump or you potentially in for some serious headaches.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, after all this time thinking about buying it or not, I finally bought and got the Xbox from my friend, he lives in another place, so I could't see the Xbox 360 until now. But guess what, it is not what I expected, I just can't believe it from my friend
closedeyes.gif

This is what I got, a huge hard drive, it even has a turn on/off switch, Oh My God
closedeyes.gif
and the Xbox is one of the 2006 models, It's really old, it will die soon just knowing how old it is, and worst of all, it doesn't have HDMI ports, only the component ones
closedeyes.gif

I can't belive this from my friend, and I guess that he won't give me my money back, at least I convince him.

Damn, I can't believe it really, I thought it was the 2008 model with HDMI ports, I haven't try it because I am just so dissapointed
closedeyes.gif

Well, thanks for all your help guys, I can't do too much now, and i don't have my CRT TV anymore.

At least could you tell me how ugly the Xbox looks on a Samsung 1080p TV compared with HDMI? I don't care too much if the console is old now that I think about it, I can be very careful with the console, but at least I wanted the HDMI port, I wanted to enjoy the 1080p experience, I can't do anything now, right?

I hope you can help me.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ashlee said:
Guys, after all this time thinking about buying it or not, I finally bought and got the Xbox from my friend, he lives in another place, so I could't see the Xbox 360 until now. But guess what, it is not what I expected, I just can't believe it from my friend
closedeyes.gif

This is what I got, a huge hard drive, it even has a turn on/off switch, Oh My God
closedeyes.gif
and the Xbox is one of the 2006 models, It's really old, it will die soon just knowing how old it is, and worst of all, it doesn't have HDMI ports, only the component ones
closedeyes.gif

I can't belive this from my friend, and I guess that he won't give me my money back, at least I convince him.

Damn, I can't believe it really, I thought it was the 2008 model with HDMI ports, I haven't try it because I am just so dissapointed
closedeyes.gif

Well, thanks for all your help guys, I can't do too much now, and i don't have my CRT TV anymore.

At least could you tell me how ugly the Xbox looks on a Samsung 1080p TV compared with HDMI? I don't care too much if the console is old now that I think about it, I can be very careful with the console, but at least I wanted the HDMI port, I wanted to enjoy the 1080p experience, I can't do anything now, right?

I hope you can help me.

Go kick his ass. But wait until your PMSing, then kick his ass, it'll make you feel better
happy.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most high end TVs (a quick scan of a few samsung models says they do) will have a VGA port and amazon have 360 VGA cables going for next to nothing- the cheaper ones usually work well if they are not buried under 50 other cables or you otherwise shield them.
Some of the older games have a bit of trouble with VGA if you are not using "standard" TV resolutions (instead using something like 1280x1024) but support for such things is built into the dash these days and devs do something resembling testing so that is not a problem.

As for quality- I usually find most arguments on such matters boil down to the "religious argument" (I believe it is better/exists.......) not to mention the PC has overtaken consoles somewhat once again and the superior graphics will be kicked out by even a mid range PC these days.

As for old search for the penny fix and floating around today I saw some people have nice BGA stencil if you want to go that route (still not easy by any stretch of the imagination but makes like a bit easier: http://www.virtualvillage.com/bga-template...007814-005.html ).

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, well I would like to know something else please, Is there a way that I can get 1080p High Definition with this old Xbox? FAST you said something about VGA, but I didn't understand so much, I can get 1080p with it? Maybe?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MS makes a cable to use the 360 over VGA as do several others (usually nothing wrong with them and they can usually be had for something other than the silly prices MS charge) or you can make one http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/14/how-to-...a-vga-cable-fo/ .
As of the last few dashboards it gained proper VGA support (16:10 and all that) but that should not trouble you if you are using a TV.
It plugs in the same port as the regular adapter and while I use mine at lower res than that (4:3 monitor and all) I just checked and 1920x 1080 is available- VGA is never interlaced so that is 1080P.

Ashlee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers, I have another question guys, please help me.
My Xbox 360, being the 2006 model, will die soon because it is old... even though if I take a lot of care it will die anyway, Right?
I can't do anything to avoid it? I don't know, maybe buy it something?
closedeyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn