OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
A friend of mine recently bought a Wii and a CycloWiz chip. After unsuccessfully trying to install his chip himself, he took the chip out and went to a shop which installed a WiiFrii(?) instead.
As I intend to buy a Wii myself, he offered me to have his "used" chip for about $20, I took it (he didn't ask me to pay for it if it wouldn't work), but it seems it has some excess solder on it. I've enclosed some pics...

It seems points A and B on the chip got soldered together... (Dunno if these points are actually A and B, just out of my memory of the now unavailable [??] CycloWiz site's guides)

Do you think that the chip is actually damaged? Can I try melting the excess solder and using the chip on another console or is that a potential waste of a console?
Thanks in advance...

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jesus H christ, I can see why the shop wanted to install a different chip. You might be able to use the chip but I wouldn't recommend it. If you do want to I think it is best for you to remove the tin, then check which pads are still connected to the chip. Those that aren't connected anymore can't be used (which means you'll have to solder to either the chip directly or the next best thing).

JohnoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Thanks for the quick responses (btw, scorpei, luv your site, especially the compatibility wiki
biggrin.gif
)
I think I'll just give up on the chip, I'm not that of a tech guy and wouldn't wanna risk ruining a wii.
Seeing as a CycloWiz isn't that expensive I'd proably oder a new one myself.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've just finished a guide on how to update it if you have done an external install like described on my website with your CycloWiz and the PC flasher app. I'll release it soon so keep your eyes peeled on the news
tongue.gif

I too think it is better if you just buy a new one, but it is still worth a go to see if you can solder to the chip directly / to the resitors and etc.. Especially if you do an external install as that way you can easily test without opening your Wii.
http://wii.scorpei.com/Guides_external-TSSP.html

JohnoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Seems highly unlikely I'll try tinkering with the chip itself since the last solder I did was when I was in first grade (that'll be more than 15 years ago...)
I'm probably off buying a new chip and letting a professional handle it.
If anyone wants to buy the faulty chip off my friends hands and cover shipping fees I'm sure he wouldn't mind sending it off where it might be of use, just let me know...
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol