"Used" 3DS Sales Surge In Japan

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SamAsh07, Aug 6, 2011.

Aug 6, 2011
  1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    We're still about a week away from Nintendo's official price cut for the 3DS, but aggressive price promotion from games stores combined with Nintendo's own free games program is creating a surge in interest now.

In Japan, used 3DS system sales have surged according to Media Create reports translated by Andriasang. In contrast to retail sales of new systems, which dipped, pre-owned sales doubled.

The spike is being attributed to price cuts by used games retailers as well as interest in taking advantage of the free games being offered prior to the official price shift. Clearly Nintendo's announcement is having an impact even prior to it taking effect. Time will tell if consumers react strongly to the lower price of new 3DS systems as well.[/p]

[​IMG] Source

Nothing too exciting for Nintendo themselves, but it's nice to see people getting eager just to get their hands on the 20 FREE Titles [​IMG] What else could be the reason of this surge.

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    The same deal is happening here in the UK.
    In the UK, Gamestation have slashed the used 3DS price to just £129.99, they're basically sold out of used units.

3. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    smarter and smarter those japanese people.. and you see here cursing over 20 crappy old games.. best of Nintento classics only that mario kart gba is awkward on such a list as of now [​IMG]

not too hot for the charts but that's some backdraft lol! if i had the time and they were going bankrupt i would pity Big N, this news makes me smile ^^

4. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Why is this news? I could have posted this some time ago but chose not to, it's just too predictable

5. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Can't believe that Japanese are actually more eager in getting 20 NES + GBA games than a 10,000 円 drop. O_O

Wait, DS Lite's discontinued.

6. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    That's... interesting. Good thing that Nintendo isn't losing any money by giving out these free games! [​IMG]

7. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Free stuff is a better incentive than cheap stuff. Also, apparently the GBA games will never be available for people who buy after the price drop.

8. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Hence it's used so they probably getting it cheaper. [​IMG]

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It's like I said in another thread around here, not everyone is a pirate and they want those 20 free games. Just because we've had the ability to play those games for years doesn't mean everyone has done so.

10. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Because everybody wants those free games.

11. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I hope they reconsider that, it's one thing to put value in the early adopters and true fans, but it's another to gilt the people who bought the system late.
    The virtual console NEEDS GBA titles.

12. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Nintendo won't limit themselves to making GBA VC titles just for Ambassadors when it's potentially a truckload of moneyz for them. Chances are, those Ambassador-only GBA VC titles will be their first try at making such VC titles. GBA VC will eventually be available to "people who can buy from eShop" (i'm tempted to say "everybody else", but with foreign credit cards being rejected... :/ well i supposed there's still those prepaid 3DS point cards), maybe as early as Q1 2012. but the titles Ambassadors receive may actually be exclusive for them.

if you think about that, then i'd be hard pressed to expect a Zelda title in the Ambassador freebies--that means exclusively free, and limited too. no way Nintendo is gonna opt out of a title that almost surely will sell as a GBA VC title. same goes for any other popular GBA titles you can think of -- Pokemon, Golden Sun, etc.