Misc Use the YouTube 3DS App to watch videos on other sites!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remy SF3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I stated earlier, anyone found a different route to accessing this without a gmail or google +.

for those wanting to use different video sites, here is a short cut.

when youtube boots up, click on the little bars on the top left, then click on the sign in blue box, don't sign in, scroll down and click on the privacy policy, new page will load, now scroll up, yes up and click on the google logo and the search page will come up.

Enjoy, you're welcome!

Reactions: Pecrow

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm. No? It works as intended on my legit 6.3 3ds. It's emunand thats going crashy on you.

it could just be my wifi ,how do you know if it didnt crash for you if it kicks you back to home screen or makes you reboot?
are you saying if yours crashes you can exit back to home menu?
the yt apps all suck anywat i have had problems on other devices too ,ios devices especially

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
it could just be my wifi ,how do you know if it didnt crash for you if it kicks you back to home screen or makes you reboot?
are you saying if yours crashes you can exit back to home menu?
the yt apps all suck anywat i have had problems on other devices too ,ios devices especially

I've used the youtube app quite a bit and it had not crashed at all. Not once. The most likely culprit is emuNand.

No, most youtube apps I use are fine. Obviously the iOS youtube app works intermittently. Youtube is owned by google, google and apple had a falling out. I know what you mean though, the youtube app on my friend's ipad crashes randomly too but on all my devices, no issue.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it would be really great if there was a way to open local .mp4 files via youtube app. built-in video player via camera app has a stupid 10 min restriction.

run a web server on you pc. encode a mp4 host it on the server and use a link to go to your pc's ip adderess.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
run a web server on you pc. encode a mp4 host it on the server and use a link to go to your pc's ip adderess.

or you could use a reverse proxy to redirect the 3DS's request for youtube.com go to your computer's IP address instead. sounds a lot easier then making a link to the IP address of the computer.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that the VidiiU Streamer application for serving up MP4's to the Wii U browser should work with the 3DS also.
crap, I got to hurry and DL the app before it gets updated on the eShop's side to prevent excaping youtube's site.

gordillo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
just saw this now and tried the "help/ policy" way and it work and i have the updated version of it
is there a list yet on what streaming websites can be used next Dailymotion?

Inuuto

Enigmatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tested the Youtube browser and the 3DS browser by going to html5test.com.

3DS Browser: 97 Points http://html5test.com/s/c8b1df1d5e3f6432.html
Youtube Browser: 176 points http://html5test.com/s/2a90301d5e279ab4.html

Here's some other interesting info:
I've enabled HTML5 on Youtube through the Youtube App browser and went to a Youtube video using the app browser. It puts me back in the app and plays the video.
The Youtube App Browser is slower than the 3DS browser. About 1/2 slower (according to speedtests).

I've tried numerous HTML5 videos but they haven't played. I haven't gotten one video to play yet.

Anyone got it to work yet?

clemull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
I wonder if i could setup an ip server that links to my PC and stream mp4 files to the 3DS.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
3GP playback is also working, in case anyone wonders.

You just have to know what to search and/or which pages offer this kind of low-res videos. According to my tests, it seems that playback will *only* occur if a direct link to the video is accessed. So far, so good.

Inuuto

Enigmatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you get the video to start playing? That's what I'm having issues with. Does the video play in the bottom screen?

Inuuto

Enigmatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this is really useful. Has anyone gotten a higher resolution (360p, 480p, 720p) video to work with this little "hack"? If the buffering isn't bad, I could try to make a mobile anime website.

Inuuto

Enigmatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gotten a 480p file to work. This browser doesn't work with every MP4 file. Same with 3GP . I'll post the media information for the MP4 file that did work later.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The format of the embedded video has very little relevance since it's played through an integrated player - it could be .mp4, it could be .3gp - it doesn't matter as long as the player itself supports the container format and the codecs.

Anything that's not Flash-based, meaning HTML5-based players or Java players should work perfectly fine, albeit with a limited success rate due to the 3DS's specs which leave a lot to be desired.

It's entirely possible that Google modified the original browser quite a bit in order to better support the HTML5 standard they use these days, which is why the app turns out to be superior in tests.

Reactions: DarkMatterCore

Inuuto

Enigmatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the media information for the MP4 file that did work.

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 2.75 MiB
Duration : 14s 981ms
Overall bit rate : 1 540 Kbps

Video
ID : 1
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : 20
Duration : 14s 981ms
Bit rate : 1 539 Kbps
Width : 848 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.126
Stream size : 2.75 MiB (100%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.0.dev47 (UTC 2006-11-01)

I can't get VidiiU Streamer to work on the 3DS. (using Youtube)

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
So, I finally got around creating a good CMD script that generates videos fully compatible with the YouTube application. It was kind of a pain since container format profile for mp42 seems to be a MPEG-4 variant somewhat uncommon, created by Microsoft, and FFmpeg still isn't compatible with it.

So, for now, the following script generates both video and audio streams separately, with the appropiate formats. Then, MP4Box is used to multiplex both files into a single MP4 (with the correct containter format). This assumes you already have installed MP4Box, so go get it if you already don't have it.

Code:
ffmpeg -y -i "%~1" -s 400x240 -aspect 2:1 -c:v mpeg4 -b:v 400k -g 100 -profile:v 0 -level 3 -bf 2 -an "video.mp4"
ffmpeg -y -i "%~1" -vn -c:a libvo_aacenc -ar 44100 -b:a 128k -ac 2 "audio.aac"
MP4Box -brand mp42 -delay 1=1 -add "video.mp4" -add "audio.aac:sbr" "output.mp4"
DEL /F "video.mp4" "audio.aac"

You can of course modify the video/audio stream settings to suit your needs (except changing the applied codecs), but be warned: don't set values too high unless you wanna end up getting a buffering hell.

Foxi4 is right, though. We need to find out which other containers/codecs are compatible with the YouTube player, in order to see if we can generate videos with better compression rates and overall a better playback experience.

If anyone is interested, I didn't have enough time nor motivation to set myself up a home HTTP server, so I used www.qfs.mobi to upload the test files from my PC and then I logged in from my 3DS to play them.

P.S.: Use "-c:a aac -strict -2" instead of "-c:a libvo_aacenc" in line 2 if you didn't include the "-enable-libvo-aacenc" flag in your FFmpeg build.

EDIT: Here's an example video (use your 3DS to navigate all the way here): http://qfs.mobi/f1117423.

Reactions: Inuuto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn