Hacking Use serial# to find drive chip?

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm finally set on getting a chip, most likely wiikey/clip since it's easy and all I care about is booting up my games. No need for watching dvds or anything else. Oh, and hopefully I can update it as well to make sure new games don't prevent me from booting.

Anyway, I don't have a triwing, and I'm not willing to wait a week to get my screwdriver just to check my board, then another week to get my chip, that's lame. Someone told me you can find your board type by using the serial #, and I found a site, but I'm not too sure if this is a fact or just some joke.

Anyone have an idea?

Thankies
smile.gif

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a fact. It might not tell you exactly what it is, but it will tell you what it probably is. Basically, it's a compilation of many people who have submitted their serial number and what their drive chip actually is. It then tells you (after you enter your serial number) what the odds of your drive chip being DMS, D2A, etc. based on how close your serial number is to other Wii's and what their drive chips are.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I would do is check your serial number and see what it tells you. There's a possibility that there may be enough submitted serial numbers that it's 100% sure you have a certain drive chip. Also, remember that the same chip works for DMS/D2A/D2B, so if it says "40% sure it's DMS and 60% sure it's a D2A", you have nothing to worry about.

Otherwise, just take a gamble and order what you think, but take apart the Wii with the tri-wing screwdriver BEFORE opening the chip packaging . Then look for sure and if you ordered the wrong one you can just send it back and get the one you need.
wink.gif

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It says:

Your Drive Chip is most likely GC2-D2B.

There is a 25% chance that the pins on your drive chip are not cut and a 75% chance that that they are cut.

I'm not sure what the pin-cutting part means, but that's supposedly my chip. Doesn't give me a %
frown.gif

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I think I'm going to take a chance and order this damned thing. If it shows up and it's wrong I'll just hope they let me trade... ModChipCentral seems like a decent place, but if anyone recommends another place to get a Wiikey/Wiiclip please suggest something
smile.gif

I am pretty sure the Wiikey is ancient, but it seems good.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd wait on ordering for right now until you're sure it's what you want. I'm not 100% positive, but I think cut pins means you can't get a Wii Clip; I think you have to solder. Might want to wait for somebody else to jump in this topic and help you out with that.

I do recommend WiiKey and ModchipCentral though.

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is just ridiculous

There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D2B (no cut pins or missing pad).
And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).
Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2B with cut pins and missing third pad.

Hell, I'd be better off to just say screw it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Veloxi said:
This is just ridiculous

There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D2B (no cut pins or missing pad).
And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).
Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2B with cut pins and missing third pad.

Hell, I'd be better off to just say screw it.

Look at my post... The Wasabi works with all drivechipsets! DMS/D2A/D2B(Cut and Uncut)/D2C/D2C2/D2E.
Go with the Wasabi and Gogo!
biggrin.gif

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just open your Wii up and look at the Chip. You'll see whether or not it's a D2B and whether or not the Pins are cut. You should allways do this before you order the chip...
If it's a D2B with uncut legs get a Free-Clip, if they are cut, get a Wasabi, D2Pro or D2Sun, with their corresponding clips.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Slowking. With the dilemma you're in, I'd just order a triwing and wait a week to get it, then open up the Wii and see what you're working with. Make your decision from there.

It's the best solution in the long run. Who knows, you might not have to solder after all.

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo can official burn in hell. I found a tri-wing at my local Ace Hardware, and everything is going smooth until I peel back the rubber feet and expose 2 silver screws buried an inch into the plastic body of the Wii. Low and behold, I can't get them out. Nintendo can officially suck my white ass.

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Veloxi said:
Nintendo can official burn in hell. I found a tri-wing at my local Ace Hardware, and everything is going smooth until I peel back the rubber feet and expose 2 silver screws buried an inch into the plastic body of the Wii. Low and behold, I can't get them out. Nintendo can officially suck my white ass.

Nintendo sure do suck for making it more difficult for you to play games for free.
rolleyes.gif
. Try a different screwdriver TriWings are pretty damn cheap

-edit- On reading the thread again wow you really are impatient if you can't wait a week or two for something

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only reason is because I'm leaving for the Air Force not too long from now, so I'd like to play some games before I'm off

I don't mind waiting normally, but come on
frown.gif

There's always my DS I guess
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb