Homebrew Use homebrew launcher to launch apps from r4 flash cart?

Teric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am brand new to the 3ds homebrew scene. I just purchased a r4i gold 3ds plus flash cart, and I installed homebrew to my old 3ds xl last night.

The o3dsXL only has a 4gb SD card, but my flash cart has a 32gb micro sd card, so I'd like to keep my homebrew apps there. However, after I installed the homebrew launcher, it only lists FBI, ctr-no-timeoffset, and Anemone3DS folder. I don't see a way to launch homebrew apps from my r4 flash cart. Am I missing something?

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate of an old thread. I did a search and I didn't see any similar threads, so I thought I would post my own.

Thanks in advance!

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Teric There is TwilightMenu++ which can launch games and homebrew from selected flashcarts.
According to this it supports Acekard 2i and r4i, so maybe your are in luck, but with the 20 revisions of R4 I don't know for sure.
However, with my AK2i it doesn't work at the moment so maybe you will have a little so it works for you.
It only allows you to run DS games at DSi speed, so you don't have twice the space for 3DS games.
The speed improvements aren't that great for existing DS games except less slowdowns in 3D games, so it is also ok to just launch it from the 3ds menu without any homebrew involved.

Last edited by Wuigi,

Teric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent, I will try TwilightMenu++. Thanks for the suggestion!

Can it run homebrew emulators like snes9x and such?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Direct micro-SD access does not work for R4i Gold 3DS Plus as far as I know.
official TWiLight Menu++ thread said:
Flashcards supported with direct access, if running on the console's SD card:
  • Acekard 2i
  • R4 Ultra (regular, not R4i) (r4ultra.com)
TWiLight Menu++ / nds-bootstrap is (mainly) for starting DS software (including emulators for DS) from the console SD without having a flashcart. It runs in DS(i) mode (TWL_FIRM) not in 3DS mode and has all limits of the DSi (reduced resolution, not using the main CPU…)

The SNES emulator for the DS(i) – included in TWiLight Menu – is not very good. Neither homebrew apps/emulators nor ROMs for (S)NES, GB(C), Genesis… are very big. You can put many of them on a 4GB SD.

If you plan installing 3DS games: You will have to use a bigger SD for the 3DS anyway.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Teric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't plan on emulating DS nor 3DS games. I simply want to use my 3DS as a retro gaming machine--NES, GB, GBA, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafix16, etc.

So you're suggesting I should install the homebrew emulators onto my SD card and simply use them from there? Did I waste my money on the R4 flash cart?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't plan on emulating DS nor 3DS games. I simply want to use my 3DS as a retro gaming machine--NES, GB, GBA, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafix16, etc.

So you're suggesting I should install the homebrew emulators onto my SD card and simply use them from there? Did I waste my money on the R4 flash cart?
No u didn't waste your money on a ds flashcart u can now play ds roms from it and play emus and 3ds games from the 3ds side

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here