Tutorial  Updated

Use Atmosphère to access FULL RAM with homebrews WITHOUT NSP

As of Atmosphère 0.8.6, the system now uses "override all apps" by default. This means that THIS GUIDE IS DEPRECATED - you only need to press R over any installed title and it will be overridden by hbl. Enjoy your hassle free homebrews and CFW updates!

I see a lot of people using RetroArch as an installed NSP to access full RAM, or people whining that they can't play 20FPS SM64 because they don't want to install any NSP.

Well guess what, now with Atmosphère (and soon others CFW I guess) you can have full RAM homebrews without installing any NSP. It will basically "replace" the game with hbmenu when you launch it with R pressed (or not, your choice), granting you full RAM access.

Note : You need at least one title on the console (whether it's an homebrew NSP or a digitally puchased game or a cartridge game). If you can pick an up to date game that's better as you won't be nagged everytime you launch hbmenu.

Let's get started !

1. Download the latest release of Atmosphère here, as well as fusee-primary.bin : https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
  2. Extract the ZIP to the root of your SD card
If you don't care about mods
This method breaks mods (and sysmodules with an invalid title id)
  1. Open the atmosphere folder of your SD card and edit loader.ini (Notepad++ is your best friend)
  2. Replace the title_id line by "title_id=app"
  3. Replace the override_key line by "override_key=R"
  4. Save the file, put the SD card back in your console
  5. Use the fusee-primary.bin payload to boot Atmosphère (you can chainload it with Hekate to dual boot others CFW / Lakka)
Now running any game while holding R will open hbmenu instead of the game, how impressive ! If you want to play the game instead, don't hold R while launching it.

Or, if you care about mods
This method works with mods and invalid sysmodules
  1. Find the title ID of your target game here : https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Title_list/Games
  2. Open the atmosphere folder of your SD card and edit loader.ini (Notepad++ is your best friend)
  3. The current title ID is the Photo Gallery - replace it with your game (title_id)
  4. Save the file, put the SD card back in your console
  5. Use the fusee-primary.bin payload to boot Atmosphère (you can chainload it with Hekate to dual boot others CFW / Lakka)
Now, running the game you selected will open hbmenu instead of the game, how impressive ! If you want to play the game instead, just hold R while launching it.

If you want to, you can edit loader.ini and change the key combination (override_key) :
  • override_key=!R will run the game when R is pressed, hbmenu else
  • override_key=R will run hbmenu when R is pressed, the game else
If it doesn't work or if it's glitchy, just try another game and hope for the best.

Last edited by natinusala,

darriousx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway to get this to run without having to have purchased an actual game from the eShop? Particularly if you're banned lol

Edit: I'm banned. Any NSP will do. I'm a derp.

Last edited by darriousx,

eAL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, just installed the new atmosphere using this guide and using atmosphere 0.7.2. replacing the older data on my sd card. Then iIbooted up my switch directly via primary bootloader and also chainbooted primary loader via Hekate. BUT every time I did and tryto start hbl or any generic nsp or installed game I got an error message game data corrupted. Where did I go wrong here? Wasn't I supposed to replace the atmosphere folder and the hbmenu and hbl data!? I guess I have to start over fresh which is a pain in the ass since I didn't back up my save games recently... >_<
Thanks for help in advance guys

Tinnetju

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, just installed the new atmosphere using this guide and using atmosphere 0.7.2. replacing the older data on my sd card. Then iIbooted up my switch directly via primary bootloader and also chainbooted primary loader via Hekate. BUT every time I did and tryto start hbl or any generic nsp or installed game I got an error message game data corrupted. Where did I go wrong here? Wasn't I supposed to replace the atmosphere folder and the hbmenu and hbl data!? I guess I have to start over fresh which is a pain in the ass since I didn't back up my save games recently... >_<
Thanks for help in advance guys
Overwriting the files should work but it's always best to start with a clean SD (except for the files you know you need like mods and games). Your saves should be saved on the Switch so I don't think you're in that much trouble :P

eAL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Overwriting the files should work but it's always best to start with a clean SD (except for the files you know you need like mods and games). Your saves should be saved on the Switch so I don't think you're in that much trouble :P
unfortunately it didn't work. I used the sd files from tumGER/tomGER initially and replaced home-brew software with their updates when updated files were available. but for atmosphère it didn't work. I guess I'll go back to the sd files again, thanks though!

eAL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
HEKATE fixed it I repaired the switch folder
I'll try later setting up atmosphère and hbmenu again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1