Use Atmosphère to access FULL RAM with homebrews WITHOUT NSP

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by natinusala, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Reisyukaku

Reisyukaku Onii-sama~

pip Developer
    Feb 11, 2014
    United States
    So all you're doing is launching hbmenu off another title other than gallery? literally any cfw can already do this if so.

TheFIrstAv3nger likes this.
  2. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

pip Developer
    May 25, 2018
    Germany
    it's true that it's now common knowledge among people that follow switchbrew and reswitched activity (or people who just looked at the ldr source), but the tutorial was specifically made for those who did not know, such as sdfiles users who may still be using album applet, so that they do not resort to installing NSP.
    Also it does additional stuff like patching the npdm in memory etc, which would've been done manually before (and thats more than just patching the TID, among other things)

On a side note: what a weird way to say "atmosphere fork"

Last edited by m4xw, Oct 29, 2018
  3. Trice

Trice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2009
    Switzerland
    Just to be sure that I didn't miss anything: If I want to keep my Switch on a lower firmware, there isn't actually any way to make use of all the RAM as I'm unable to access the eShop to install a legit title to launch homebrew through and would have to install an NSP either way, correct?

I'm currently thinking if I should update my homebrew Switch through ChoiDujourNX without burning fuses or just install NSPs for homebrew that needs more RAM like RetroArch as this Switch is only used for homebrew software anyway and I don't really need access to Nintendo's online services for anything.

[edit] Scratch that, I can't update to the current firmware through ChoiDujourNX anyway as there isn't any game out there that contains the necessary firmware, so I guess installing NSPs is my only option for the time being (mainly thinking about RetroArch here).

Last edited by Trice, Oct 29, 2018
  4. TheFIrstAv3nger

TheFIrstAv3nger GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2017
    United States
    Michigan
    Awh look at you two, throwing all that shade. What a bunch if shills.

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You can get the firmware files from sources other than games.

6. Trice

Trice GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2009
    Switzerland
    Oh right, I totally forgot about that possibility.

7. bonoboy

bonoboy GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2008
    United States
    Target game must a eshop legal purchase?

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Any .NSP file is fine, regardless if you own it or not.

bonoboy likes this.
  9. Polazriz

Polazriz Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2017
    Anguilla

How to chain load with an other CFW? i tried this but it will just boot normal atmosphere instead of ReiNX,

Code:
    [CFW]
    kip1=modules/required/loader.kip
    kip1=modules/required/pm.kip
    kip1=modules/required/sm.kip
    kip1=modules/required/fs_mitm.kip
    secmon=modules/required/exosphere.bin
    kip1patch=nosigchk
    payload=bootloader\payloads\fusee-primary.bin
    payload=bootloader\payloads\ReiNX.bin

10. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Okay... I'm going to ask a stupid question... Why not simply use a NSP?

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Some people are afraid of ban hammers.

12. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    I can see that... but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other things that can cause the ban hammer. Heck.. I'm pretty sure Nintendo could look at the gallery and see if when it doesn't load the way they want it.

I guess I was just wandering if there was an actual benefit to it. But it appears not, so this feature I will ignore for now. :D

13. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    Is this OP still the easiest way to do this? Or are there newer instructions somewhere?

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Kosmos already has hbloader and hbmenu pre-included so you can skip steps 1-6 but the rest has to be done manually since every game has its own title-ID. But despite the number of steps, this whole tutorial is a relatively short process. You'll probably spend more time downloading stuff than actually doing anything.

15. rsn8887

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    IMO, Kosmos should include these instructions somewhere (Steps 7 and onward). They are not mentioned in their guides at all.

Now that we have a working swkbd that ONLY works when hi-jacking, this is more important than ever.

Also it would be nice if it could be made easier, without requiring users to manually edit any file.

Option 1) Default titleID to "*" and default the hi-jack button to R. Then allow "*" to stand for a wildcard, e.g. hi-jack ANY app. This way, by default, any app could be hi-jacked by holding R.

Then users wouldn't have to edit anything. But you could still edit it if you want to limit the hi-jack to a single app.

I know this would replicate SX behavior but why not? It is easier to use that way.

Option 2) Distribute with a default application nsp (Homebrew Channel, or something), and a .nro applet that installs that default nsp. Then everybody could just install the nsp. Everybody would have the same app with the same titleID that will always be used for hi-jacking. The titleID in the notebook could default to that one titleID then.

Last edited by rsn8887, Jan 5, 2019
  16. natinusala
    OP

natinusala Win32 error 31 is not an error

Dec 1, 2012
    France
    I'll pass the ban thank you

17. rsn8887

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    Yes I understand the reason why this is not done now :) after some discussion on Discord

18. natinusala
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    France
    However the wildcard as default is actually a good idea, does this currently work ?

19. rsn8887

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    No.

20. natinusala
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    France
    Last edited by natinusala, Jan 6, 2019
    TotalJustice, hippy dave and The0919 like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted