Use a 3DS screen(s) with 2DS motherboard?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by QuickQuestion, Jun 24, 2016.

1. QuickQuestion
    OP

QuickQuestion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    So pretty much I'm just wondering if it is possible to connect an O3DS screen(s) to the 2ds motherboard. The solution doesn't need to be elegant, I haven't fully opened this cracked 2DS to see if the ribbon cables would work, but I was curious (primarily due to the fact of how much cheaper replacement parts are for the O3DS than the 2DS). If anyone has any remote ideas, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I thought 2ds had 1 big screen in it, rather than 2 screens?

3. NinjaSushi

NinjaSushi Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2016
    United States
    Yeah it's one giant screen, so there's no simple solution to that

KiiWii likes this.
  4. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    it is one screen, but it has 2 separate connections for top and bottom parts of the LCD, so in a sense it's like having two separate screens. The biggest problem with using 3DS screens with 2DS board: connectors for top and bottom screens are different (much wider on 2DS), so it can't be a straight fir, you'll have to run myriad of wires to make it work, just wouldn't be practical, much easier mod would be: to put 3DS motherboard in 2DS shell, and use o3ds screens, will take a bit of work to make it, but it might be possible

QuickQuestion likes this.
  5. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Aren't the 2DS screen areas larger than the O3DS screen areas anyway?

6. QuickQuestion
    OP

QuickQuestion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    Like I said, the solution wasn't going to be elegant or anything, I wasn't planning on playing with it, just wanted to see if it was possible so I could dump the nand+install A9LH etc...

NekoMichi likes this.
  7. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    If that's the case, I don't think you need any special hardware for 2ds.

8. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    That's true, although I was more worried that the screens won't fit perfectly in the casing and will shake around, which risks damaging the ribbon cables or the logic board.