usbloader gx intermittent recognise my iomega 3.5 1tb drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by cv65user, Jun 18, 2009.

1. cv65user
    OP

Newcomer cv65user Member

United States
    i have uk pal wii soft mod fw ver4 with a iomega 3.5" 1tb drive with external psu brick , with 101 games on 500gb wbfs main partition + 500gb ntfs second partition. with usb loader gx ver533 in hbc and cios ver10. just realised ver 541 boot dol out . so i will test that tonight but in mean time

my wii always intermittantly recognise the 1tb hdd and it will only reocgnise it in the usb port paralell to the dvd slot . - inside is a hitatchi 1tb sata (others have reported to have wd drives inside , so its hit and miss ) . if i turn wii on , and leave usb plug in . then turn on 1tb after getting to channels menu . then loading usb loader gx forwarder channel . it is then most likely to recognise it . otherwise sometimes it will stay on the white back ground / none of the footer (clcok / disk size/ buttons) stuff load and it will just freeze but cursor moves or cursors missing . or it will come up with wait 30 secs use ios249/222 but it will never find it . so i have to exit back to channel menu / or reboot wii if its frozen . then switch off/on 1tb drive then reload usbloader gx . ( at this point i dont have to resseat usb cable at all )

so you can imagine when i exit the game, and wii restarts to main menu - it then looses the hdd . mostly i know when usbloader gx will recognise the 1tb drive as i can physically hear it click and spin up then usbloadergx is most likely to reocgnise it .

on the other hand , i have a 160g seagate ide , which recognises perfectly on time in any usb slot . but its obviously too small to hold all my 100+ games preferbly . so i need my 1tb drive so it must be compatibility issue so that leads me to my next qs

i am trying to find out what is root cause be it driver/ ios for recognising hdds . is updating cios or usbloader gx more likely to give wider hdd compatibility . the hdd manufactur number is hitachi hdt721010sla360 if that helps . if not , how can i edit usbloader gx to include compatibility for the 1tb hitachi sata hdd .

and i dont think it is because i have 101 games , so its trying to cache it . because this problem was apparent when i only had 27 games installed.

i hope i havent bored you , but i wanted to give as much detail to help solve my problem . thx .

2. davidsl_128

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    I think that USB Loader GX doesn't support HDD that are higher than 500 G (not the partition you're using, but the whole drive), someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. cv65user
    OP

Newcomer cv65user Member

United States
    dont get me wrong , it intermittently recognises. when it does reocgnise it , it works perfect. it just that times from cold/warm boot (exit game) it looses the hdd . so usbloader gx is looking for hdd on a frozen blank white background screen or keepas asking me to wait for 30 seconds .

4. JohnnyCheeks

Member JohnnyCheeks GBAtemp Regular

United States
    EDIT: I'm an impatient speed reader sorry heh. But I'll leave what I wrote in case others are reading who are having similar problems.

You using cIOS 249 rev 13(b)? That's most likely the culprit. Use rev 12 or Hermes cIOS 222 if that bothers you, otherwise use the 'Reset' button in the home menu.

5. calecchia

Newcomer calecchia Newbie

Italy
    I have the SAME problem with a Iomega USB Prestige 1TB.
    GeexBox will recognize EVERYTIME the hdd. It's a USB loader problem? I have tried all the cios (from 9 to 13b) and every usb loader (original, usbloadergx, lopts edition, neogamma ecc...)

Please help us!

6. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    YOU ARE WRONG!
    There is a 500 game limit, but no limit on the HDD size or the partition size.

7. madeirabhoy

Member madeirabhoy GBAtemp Fan

i am using a verbatim 1tb drive, partitioned into two 500 meg partitions, first one fat32 for movies, 2nd one wbfs for games. I have CIOS 13 and the lates usb loader gx

i have never had a problem getting it to see my drive with the usb loader gx, nor with seeing the other partition with geexbox.

8. calecchia

Newcomer calecchia Newbie

Italy
  9. kwirky

Newcomer kwirky Advanced Member

United States
    I am having the same problem with a Thermaltake sata/usb docking station. I guess it is just incompatible with the ehci module in the cios.

10. wookienow

Newcomer wookienow Newbie

Australia
    I have the same problem exactly with a 1TB Lacie Drive. Has anyone solved this yet?

11. markehmus

Member markehmus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada

50gb of space left on a 1TB drive with 500games and 25Game.iso at least to go [lots of shovelware] they would be only a few GB and id still have more space left so how do i get the rest on....ohhhh