dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
on a previous thread I made,I learned that because the wii can only read the burned DVDs at half speed then some slowdown,sound cutting and video slowdown are normal.

correct?

so I was thinking...what if I connect a usb hard drive and load games onto it?
will that mean that they will play at normal speeds?
since it won't have to read any disk?

yes yes....I'm a noob
rolleyes.gif

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some games may experience slow loading screens or choppy playback during videos. In the case of some older music games with poor buffering (Guitar Hero Aerosmith ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS) it can lead to desynchronized chart and music. Of course, bad burns or rips can also cause audio and video issues.

USB loads as fast as the HDD can access and transfer, often faster than even an unmodified Wii disc drive can. Some games will show a tangible improvement in load times (play Metroid Prime 3 and time how long it takes for doors to load when playing from USB - much faster).

jaynecobb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
definitely go the usb loader route.

playing burnt dvd's through backup loaders absolutely kills cutscenes, and makes games nigh unbearable.

i suffered through the backup loaders way back in the day, then switched to usb and haven't looked back.

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
after reading some guides I've come up with a few questions....

in order to play games via a USB HDD I need to put the games(the downloaded ones) from my pc to the HDD and then connect it with the wii?
can that be done?

because it says that WBFS format is only recognizable by the wii and not PCs...

can I download games,burn them to DVDs,then rip them on to the HDD connected to the wii and finally playing them via the HD and not the DVD?

is there any way to put downloaded games from my pc to the WBFS partition on the HDD?(I think there's a program for that, no?) WITHOUT losing all other data on the HDD?

I also saw that usb loader gx doesn't work well with system 4.2? I have 4.2E

will any usb loader programs conflict with anything installed in my wii? (HBC,bootmii,priiloader,darkcorps v1.0 ,gecko 1.9.3)

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you have to format your USB drive to WBFS with a WBFS manager you can also create partitions to have different formats and yes you can use burned game discs to install on to a hard drive through the Wii and i've never had any problems with USB Loader GX on 4.2U or 4.2J and i dont see why there would be problems with 4.2E

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
but I won't be able to load games directly from my pc to the HDD and play them on the wii,right?
I'll have to burn them first.

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
dysan said:
but I won't be able to load games directly from my pc to the HDD and play them on the wii,right?
I'll have to burn them first.

Nope. Use a program called WBFS manager.

That will format your drive to WBFS, and put your games on the hard drive.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is this a thread of today?

You don't need to reformat the disc in WBFS format anymore. Recent loaders can handle FAT32 or NTFS discs just as well. For FAT32, you convert the iso to .wbfs file(s) with a few clicks of wii backup manager or wii game manager. With NTFS, I heard you can read the iso from the disc itself (provided it's in the right folder).

In any case, usb loaders won't conflict with any of the things you mentioned. Rather the contrary: priiloader has options to load directly into usb loaders, so you can start your games even faster.

Though I don't have much experience with backup discs, I must say that most games I played worked just fine. Only the load times took longer.

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
so that's why I was seing this chart in step 3 of this guide...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcG1Qflc...mY2Rq&hl=en

ok let's recap!

1)get a 500gb external HDD
2)format it to FAT32 mode
3)create a wbfs folder on the root of the HDD and place my games there using wii backup manager
4)install usb loadergx on my wii
5)connect HDD to wii
6)play games
7)add more games from my pc directly to the HDD WITHOUT formating it everytime I hook it up to the pc because I want to store more than wii games in it
8)????????
9)PROFIT!

correct?

Red Ire Lap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not exactly, you need to format a WBFS partition, not simply create a folder to put the games onto. If you have USB Loader GX or Wiiflow, you can rip games from your existing DVDs (burnt or legit) to the WBFS Partition. If you want to Load them from your PC, you must download a WBFS manager program to allow you to transfer files over to the partition because windows doesnt recognize WBFS formats. FAT32 formats can only store files in 4GB chunks at maximum which means some game wont be able to fit on them logically. If you want You can have both WBFS or FAT32 partitions on the HDD. Mine is half WBFS and have NTFS so i can play movies and such through WiiMC aswell.

I set up my USB HDD 2 days ago and decided WBFS partition is the way to go. Everything that goes onto the partition also gets autocompressed usually by the programs as an added bonus. Hope this helps.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice going with the disinformation. Either you're basing yourself on some serious outdated stuff, or you're just trolling. But either way:

-usb loader gx and cfg can rip to a FAT32 partitioned drive just as well (NTSF is a bit buggy, last I heard).
-yes, FAT32 is limited to 4GB. That's why when you rip a bigger game, it get automatically divided into different chunks, and all chunks are stored together in a map. For playability, it means just squad (I don't even know which of my games are big enough to be split up and which aren't...they all play the same)
-you can indeed have both wbfs and fat32 on a single disc, and I used to have that very same setup. But aside from being harder to set up (means repartitioning), it's almost the same. Except you can delete or move your games in wiixplorer, windows won't ask if you want to reformat your wbfs drive, and more of that stuff.
-the ripping of your iso into wbfs chunks also gets rid of the extra zeros on the disc. The result takes up the same size on FAT32 as it does on WBFS

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Red Ire Lap said:
Not exactly, you need to format a WBFS partition, not simply create a folder to put the games onto.
simply and utterly wrong
QUOTE(Red Ire Lap @ Apr 22 2010, 02:31 PM) FAT32 formats can only store files in 4GB chunks at maximum which means some game wont be able to fit on them logically.
wrong too
Fat32 has a maximum file size of ~4GiB right.
Thats why the big games are split into multiple ~4GiB files.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call it intentional disinformation, some people are just not quite up-to-date.

If I recall correctly, there is a marginal difference in load and access times between the different USB formats - WBFS seems to initialize a little faster than FAT. Other than that, your choice of format is a personal decision. I still use WBFS since it's what's on my drive and it works fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.