USB/SD Loader ISO read problems.

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by timc, May 21, 2009.

May 21, 2009

USB/SD Loader ISO read problems. by timc at 11:42 AM (1,213 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. timc
    OP

Newcomer timc Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi Guys.

I just wanted to confirm what I appear to have found with the USB/SD Loader 1.5.
    [For info running menu4, cISOv10 & modchip]
    The process I have been using for my ISO backups previously was to use DVDDumper0.8 of course this is very slow via 2Gb SD card in GC slot but appeared to work perfectly (ensuring chip is disabled for the last chunk).

When trying out the USB/SD Loader 1.5 and installing an ISO onto a USB drive it works fine and plays fine. The whole process being much faster than DVD dumper. I can then extract the ISO off the drive with WBFS Manager 3.0, burn to DVD as before and load the DVD using my modchip.

I then got one disk which didn't work after it was burned to DVD, despite playing fine from USB!
    I discovered that after installing and extracting the same disk twice I got two different MD5 values for the ISOs (although both played fine from USB, neither loaded from DVD, with or without the mod chip enabled). I then tried a full DUMP using DVDDumper and it stopped on the 1st chunk with a read error...a little bit of Pledge (cleaner) and a wipe...and I managed to get DVDDumper to read the full disk. I then checked the MD5 value and of course different value again, but this time the burned DVD played fine...so...

Am I correct in discovering that the read of USB/SD Loader 1.5 does not do very good error checking compared to DVDDumper? I am guessing the difference between launching from DVD and the SD/USB is the wii isn't performing any signature checking for the SD/USB iso (fine for loading the backup but not good for ensuring the ISO is good).
    If so, this may be the cause of issues people are having with some games, rather than it being due to their USB device.

I managed to do a compare between the three ISOs, the good image had data where the others had 00s (it did also have at least one section of 00s but this matched on all three images). I shall look at the file in more detail (I have a program which scans for blocks of values and will mark them graphically, but not with me) so it will be easy to see if the file should only ever have two sections of 00s (i.e. one after the disk id and at the end of the game data, or loader data whatever it is about one 410th into the disk). I'll also have a look between an existing DVD backup and one read via USB/SD too. Also the USB/SD loader doesn't copy the packing data allowing the smaller ISOs (I guess like wii scrubber) so that may be different too.

Of course it may be easier to just use cIOS-DVD-Dumper_v1.2 instead to copy to USB, but the USB/SD loader approach will be nicer when I get a bigger drive. Also I fear cIOS-DVD-Dumper will also have the same issues.

Anyway, thanks for any feedback/info (very sorry if I missed anything similar on my forum search).

2. timc
    OP

Newcomer timc Newbie

United Kingdom
    Just to tie off this post.

I have concluded that the USB/SD Loader 1.5 isn't ripping the iso's properly (even the disk I thought was working, also fails to load). I will stick with DVD dumper for now (this is tried and tested for me) and if I do use the USB/SD Loader I will transfer the ISO via PC and WBFS Manager 3.0. I've tried cIOS-DVD-Dumper_v1.2 but it offers nothing extra due to file size limitations and no way to skip to the next chunk, plus the wifi transfer isn't much quicker. Are there any dumpers available which do dump directly to SDHC or USB at a decent speed and produce good ISOs?

Also I appear to have the drive sleep issue (game crashes if device not accessed for a bit - although it is a flash drive). This also may be related to a bad iso (since the DVD version fails to load), but the crash is not in the same place so it isn't just that the data is corrupted (so maybe this is something to do with the loader itself).
    I will probably try the USB loader again at some point, but will wait until I have a bigger drive available, I feel like there are still issues to address with the loader with regards to ISO copying and error checking and the USB support doesn't quite seem there yet (but much credit to the work which has been done, it is superb in the least).