Hacking USB-nand Triiforce Wad Manager1.5 rev14 (result: -1) ERROR

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This TOPIC is a work in progress....add your own errors and resolutions if you like

My problem is I can not inject wads onto a nand in my USB HD from my sd or vise versa or I get an error. Also Wad Manager 1.5 will not mount or won't find my USB HD.

I first made sure I had a clean dump of my nand by:
tHciNc said:
Every time i try dumping my nand i get the same issue
Error: fopen(sd:/FSTOOLBOX/title/00010000/52483650/data/HP:HBP0) returned 0
Dont understand what it means, but i take it the file is Harry Potter Half Blood Prince save... maybe??
Definitly Harry potter data, I had 2 errors at first when dumping my nand. Both were Harry Potter titles.

10000/52355045/data/HP:OOTP = Order Of The Pheonix

10000/52483645/data/HP:HBP1 = Harry Blood Prince

I followed the address to the data and deleted it out of my nand with AnyTitleDeleter:

and got a perfect dump afterwards with simpleFSdumper.

My test dummies:

tried 3.2U and 4.1U
2 different wii's
same HD Maxtor III
1TB fat32/wbfs both active(don't know which is first partition, I believe the fat is)
2gb sd Lexar regular(not sdhc)
wadmanager1.5
rev14
triiforce.4

this is what my current file structure looks like

sd:/wad/wog.wad

usb:/shared1
usb:/shared2
usb:/sys
usb:/ticket
usb:/title
usb:/tmp
usb:/import
usb:/meta

I've tried the opposite:

usb:/wad/wog.wad

sd:/shared1
sd:/shared2
sd:/sys
sd:/ticket
sd:/title
sd:/tmp
sd:/import
sd:/meta

in wad manager Ive chosen 249,nand=where it's located,source=where the wad is,

if the wad is on the usb, the nand(sd) is seen but when choosing the source it gives an -1 error

if the wad is on the sd, it seems(IDK no error is given at this time) to find the nand(USB), choosing sd as source, then it shows you the wads and choose wad, then gives -1 error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fire up triiforce with this config:

sd:/wad/wog.wad

usb:/shared1
usb:/shared2
usb:/sys
usb:/ticket
usb:/title
usb:/tmp
usb:/import
usb:/meta

choosing usb-nand= error -1 cannot get dir entry count! (result -1)
reading folder /title/00010001 failed
error getting the title list

then the wii freezes and have to hard reset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fire up triiforce with this config:

usb:/wad/wog.wad

sd:/shared1
sd:/shared2
sd:/sys
sd:/ticket
sd:/title
sd:/tmp
sd:/import
sd:/meta

choosing sd-nand= loading no titles found (because I didn't have wads installed on my nand when it was dumped with simpleFSdumper

then you can hit home and the wii does not freeze because it is properly loading nand on sd.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my question:
I have only 1 choice inside wadmanager 1.5 when choosing nand= USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device
I have 2 choices inside wadmanager 1.5 when choosing source= USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device and Mass Storage Device

I have chosen every combo of that also and believe me same error -1

Triiforce does not find my nand or read the USB it draws error -1 immediately.

I SET MY PARTITION ON THE USB TO ACTIVE WITH WINDOWS IN THE ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS AND MY USB WORKS NOW WITH EVERYTHING ABOVE

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to make a topic just like yours, and my situation is 100% the same as yours. I have tried every combination possible on my 4.1U Wii with cIOS_rev14. I've tried a 2gb flash drive, an 8gb flash drive, 1gb SD, 2gb SD, and a 16gb SDCH which all work fine with everything else (homebrew, emulators, USB Loaders etc.).

I know NOT to have my nand backup on both devices, and that you can't use a single device to mount the nand and install wads from. I've tried SD (wad source) to USB (nand backup), and vice versa. I made nand backups using Simple FS-Dumper, and the full FS-Toolbox app, both creating the exact same nand successfully. There is something strange in my nand dump though. There is an empty folder called Balls of Fury, which happens to be a game on my USB drive that I've played at least once. I'm guessing the game left some kind of file in my nand
wacko.gif
?

I've tried every mod of WadManager 1.5, using every possible combination, and I get the ret = -1 error every time. I can use WadManager 1.5 to install wads contained on all my devices, to my actual system nand, so I know WM1.5 recognizes all my devices.

As for Triforce, when I try to launch it and use my actual system nand (with no backup nand on my sd card), I get a code dump every time. Perhaps there is something in the settings I need to read up on, but if I can't get WM1.5 to install to my backup nand, then Triforce can't be used for it's purpose (for me at least).

I'm sorry I can't offer help, but you are not alone, and after spending 2 evenings fully testing, and ruling out possible problems, I'm convinced it's a bug/issue with cIOS_rev14 and WadManager 1.5 that is present on certain systems with something causing the -1 error.

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found out what the problem was on my own. I talked myself through it and I found out what the problem was. Anyone who want's to know, ask and I'll tell you. As for this Topic, well, good luck with your own issues. I'll try to help if I can.

The problem is not with Triiforce or Wad Manager 1.5 or rev 14 even though they still have their own issues aside of what my issues were.

Feeling revolutionary and stupid,
ChokeD

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ChokeD said:
I found out what the problem was on my own. I talked myself through it and I found out what the problem was. Anyone who want's to know, ask and I'll tell you. As for this Topic, well, good luck with your own issues. I'll try to help if I can.

The problem is not with Triiforce or Wad Manager 1.5 or rev 14 even though they still have their own issues aside of what my issues were.

Feeling revolutionary and stupid,
ChokeD

So what was the problem?

Only problems i have are

After installing wads to the emulated nand with wad manager 1.5 when trying to exit wad manager 1.5 it freezes everytime.

*Someone in #cios chat said it was because it was still emulating the nand thats why it can't return to a main menu*

After playing games on emulated nand through triforce(beta 5) it will freeze when choosing to exit to wii menu.

*Choosing Reset first and then wii menu seems to work though*

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally figured this problem out, but I had to try a method that would determine whether my USB device was compatible with WadManager. I had failures with my 8gb FAT32 drive, even though it was set to active/primary. I used my 2gb FAT drive, and I finally was successfull in installing WiiWare to my backup NAND. Here is what I did for those with problems:

I used a Sandisk 1gb SD card, and placed the NAND backup (from FS Dump/toolbox) on the root. On this sd card, there is also an apps folder, containing WadManager 1.5, and Triforce beta 5. I formatted a 2gb pen drive to FAT, and made a "wad" folder containing the WiiWare games I wished to install.

From the 1gb sd card, I launched Homebrew Channel, and selected WadManager 1.5. From here I chose to launch as ios249, pressed right on the d-pad to select "nand emu from SD." Then I selected "USB 2.0 device" for the SOURCE (this is where my Wad folder was, containing the WiiWare games). The wads show up in a list, and when I chose to install, they finally installed to the nand backup for the first time.

icpmattj said:
So what was the problem?

Only problems i have are after installing wads to the emulated nand with wad manager 1.5 when trying to exit wad manager 1.5 it freezes everytime.

*Someone in #cios chat said it was because it was still emulating the nand thats why it can't return to a main menu*

After playing games on emulated nand through triforce(beta 5) it will freeze when choosing to exit to wii menu.

*Choosing Reset first and then wii menu seems to work though*
Then comes your response, and you're absolutely correct in reporting the bugs with this setup. Exiting WadManager 1.5 after installing to the NAND backup always results in a freeze, causing you to hard/shut-down the Wii. Triforce will launch the game installed to the nand backup just fine, but when you exit like any other game, it also freezes, resulting in hard/shutdown of the system.

Overall, I'm just glad I finally got it to work. However, I'm not using the devices in the way I'd like, with my larger USB device "hosting" the NAND bakcup, so I have endless space to install games. I realize now that WadManager 1.5 has MAJOR compatibility issues with some HDD drives, which is why you see the majority of people experiencing success, and a small group of people getting the ret = -1 error. Hopefully this will be worked out in either a future revision of WM, or perhaps cIOS_rev14b (15). I hope that someone reads my response and solves their problem. Personally, it's been killing me over the last couple nights, and I'm just glad I figured it out.

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Partition needed set to active. I know I had it set to active at one time but apparently I had reformatted it or something and forgot to set it. I have 2 partitions on the same drive and I just knew I set them both but, just to make sure after all the crap I started to double check EVERYTHING and sure enough, that was it.
blush.gif

HEY, but I solved it myself,
bow.gif
grog.gif
lecture.gif
grog.gif

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChokeD said:
Partition needed set to active. I know I had it set to active at one time but apparently I had reformatted it or something and forgot to set it. I have 2 partitions on the same drive and I just knew I set them both but, just to make sure after all the crap I started to double check EVERYTHING and sure enough, that was it.
blush.gif

HEY, but I solved it myself,
bow.gif
grog.gif
lecture.gif
grog.gif
I'm glad that worked for you, but I have have tested 3 drives now , set to active as you described in your PM, and 2 of them fail with the ret = -1 error. This means that although it worked for you, many users are still going to experience the error, even if they set their drives to "active." Only my crappy 2gb pen drive is recognized by WadManager 1.5, which is cool because I got it to work, but sucks because I have no interest in using this tiny drive for future applications.

It would be nice if a future bug fix would allow you to use the same device for mounting the NAND backup, and hosting the wads you wish to install. For all I know, this Triforce testing binge I've been on will only become a waste of my time, once the actual nand emu releases. Many thanks to the Triforce team though, since it does work, and beta 5 is very impressive
smile.gif

aml435

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple quick observations:
If you press the power button on your remote while in Wadmanager with the NANDemu mounted, it will reset the system, rather than locking up, so you can return to the main menu without getting up and manually powering down the wii and restarting.
Also, if you press the home key while playing a wiiware title from Triforce and choose "reset" instead of Home, it will reset and send you back to the home menu, instead of locking up.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zx-81 said:
I had the same issues with errors while installer wad using wad manager v1.5. The simplest way to overcome issue with wad manager v1.5 is NOT to use wad manager v1.5 to install your wads on your emulated nand image :

Try this :
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index...ad-To-Nand.html
You're my personal hero, but where the heck were you two days ago?
tongue.gif
Kidding aside, your method is so much faster, and I don't have to deal with errors in Wadmanager any more. I used this awesome batch file in conjunction with your app, and I can add many wads at once. I'm now experiencing a problem with Triforce not recognizing my USB device, giving me the ret=-1, so I'm going to do further testing with my USB drive. I personally don't understand why my 8gb drive can play movies with MPlayer CE, launch roms with Snes9Gx, play Wii games from a WBFS partition, but yet Triforce won't mount it at all. For now, I'm still confined to my compatible devices, which happen to be a dissappointing 2gb in size. I'm not too bothered though, and I'm just glad I got these things to work at all. Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn