Hacking USB loader Problems

junpit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

I'm having problems with my USB loader. I think I've done something wrong and want someone to confirm this.

I installed bootmii, hbc using bannerbomb on top of 4.1. At this point I took a nand backup (just in case)
I installed my CIOS using truscha bug restorer by downgrading IOS15, installing a patched IOS36 to slot 36 and then downgraded IOS15 afterwards. I then ran the cIOS38r14 installer using IOS36.

Another guide I've seen relating to USB loader suggests that I should have installed IOS36 to slot 249. Is this important?

Thanks

Junpit

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
junpit said:
Another guide I've seen relating to USB loader suggests that I should have installed IOS36 to slot 249. Is this important?

Thanks

Junpit
Was it my guide by any chance?

The reason why I suggest to install the hacked 36 as 249 is so that you are left with the official IOS36. Once you have cIOS38 in the 249 slot, you don't have all that much need for the hacked IOS36. There are some uses, but they are pretty much all piracy related, and mine is a USB Loader guide for the non-pirate.

junpit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it was your guide. Kudos.

I guess what I am after is just running my backups vis USB. Originally I wasn't going to hack my Wii but was really f***ed off when Nintendo refused to change my scratched wii fit disk (young daughter was too rough) and wanted me to pay full whack for wii fit again. As far as I'm concerned I have an original wii fit disk but need to be able to extract the contents of a backup to usb drive as my wii fit disk is scratched.

At the moment I've installed to 36 and not 249. Should I do it again to 249 to get the USB loader to work properly and leave the 36 as is. What advantages do I get from having a hacked IOS36?

Thanks

Junpit

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, first off, which issue are you having?

Does your USB Loader start?
Do you get black screens when trying to load a game?

If you could let us know exactly what troubles you are experiencing, we could better help you out.

junpit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
0ld8oy said:
Well, first off, which issue are you having?

Does your USB Loader start?
Do you get black screens when trying to load a game?

If you could let us know exactly what troubles you are experiencing, we could better help you out.

OK. I updated my 3.3 using zelda, princess initially and so I might have older versions of 249 etc.
The other day I upgraded my 3.3 to 4.1 using a system udpate which left behind an old version of
hbc which upgraded itself as soon I went into the channel.

I have then installed a patched IOS36 and USB loader. I can run USB loader from the hbc and it runs
wii fit nicely from a 2gb usb stick. As soon as I click training and then launch ski jump for example I get a big white screen.

Like I said my usb loader is using IOS249 and I didnt install one this time. Any IOS249 will be from before when I hacked
the 3.3 menu (about 9 months ago). I cant even remember if I installed 249 then.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try installing a new cIOS. rev 14 is the newest but it is also somewhat buggy. I'd start by installing rev12 and see if that helps. If it does you can either stay with that or update to rev 14.

junpit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
0ld8oy said:
Try installing a new cIOS. rev 14 is the newest but it is also somewhat buggy. I'd start by installing rev12 and see if that helps. If it does you can either stay with that or update to rev 14.

Hi

I installed cIOSCorp 3.2 last night. What would you advise, or is this OK. I'm only really interested in being able to run the usb loader.

-Junpit

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mess with cIOSCORP and I don't want to brick you. I believe it can be uninstalled by running an update to overwrite all the cIOS it installs, but don't do that until you confirm that it won't brick you in a few other places. You'll have better luck asking questions about un-installing it in their thread. cIOSCORP is probably the dirtiest hack available on the Wii and is completely unnecessary to run backups.

Good Luck

junpit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
0ld8oy said:
I don't mess with cIOSCORP and I don't want to brick you. I believe it can be uninstalled by running an update to overwrite all the cIOS it installs, but don't do that until you confirm that it won't brick you in a few other places. You'll have better luck asking questions about un-installing it in their thread. cIOSCORP is probably the dirtiest hack available on the Wii and is completely unnecessary to run backups.

Good Luck

Well, having done some more research, I've decided to restore back to my nand backup just after I'd upgraded to 4.1 using system update and after installing bootmii.
I'll be able to do the things in the order I want to then.

Thanks

Junpit

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm glad to hear you backed up before installing cIOSCORP. It really is a highly dangerous app that has caused many bricks and it is completely useless for USB Loaders.

As for Wii Fit, it seems weird that a game would crash part-way through. From your initial post, it seems that you were on rev 14 already when testing the game. cIOS38=IOS249, so you had indeed installed a new one.

The problem could be spin down/drive related. Try using Hermes' IOS222 to run the game (instructions to do so with Cfg Loader are in my guide).

If that doesn't work, my guess is you have a bad image on the drive. Try deleting it and putting it back on there (possibly from a different source).

junpit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

Its now working nicely. I did everything I had done before except for installing cIOSCorp 3.2. I reburnt wii fit and it now works flawlessly. I noticed that the game wouldnt load either when in the drive at the point it was failing and so realised it was content related.

I have patched ios36 like before and installed cIOS38 using this. This is great. Kudos to all involved.

I tried USB Loader GX but prefer the configurable loader.

The only thing I have noticed is that the homebrew channel, wad manager and all the homebrew stuff including the usb loader seem to have part fo teh screen chopped off. I believe this is a wii ntsc thing but cant be sure. All of the games work unchopped, but then again they are PAL. Im using a component cable which is set to 576p. Any ideas here?

-Junpit

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
junpit said:
The only thing I have noticed is that the homebrew channel, wad manager and all the homebrew stuff including the usb loader seem to have part fo teh screen chopped off. I believe this is a wii ntsc thing but cant be sure. All of the games work unchopped, but then again they are PAL. Im using a component cable which is set to 576p. Any ideas here?
There is no 576p, only 480p - use that it's the best.
Other modes are 480i and 576i, which are interlaced.

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
junpit said:
Hmm.
I don't know why the screen should be chopped then.
-Junpit
Because a lot of homebrew is hard-coded for the 640x480 resolution.
If your TV can handle 480p then use that, it's better picture quality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hello kitty ds is requires