USB Loader Precautions

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Acetic Orcein, Jun 9, 2009.

Jun 9, 2009

USB Loader Precautions by Acetic Orcein at 8:12 PM (721 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Acetic Orcein
    OP

Member Acetic Orcein GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hey everyone! I'm sure I read this somewhere before, but was unable to locate the topic.

Anyway I have like one or two questions so erm

1) Powering off the wii while a game is running from the usb loader- would there be any negative effects of doing this? Normally I always return to the wii home menu and power off that way... was wondering if there could be any damaging effects of powering off directly from the game.

2) Unplugging the hard drive- normally I just power off the wii and leave it in there. My hard drive has a power light so I wait for that to stop blinking and then remove the plug from the socket first. Is there any potential damage you could cause by like... just pulling the usb cable out randomly?

I know these are pretty silly questions! Sorry [​IMG] I've just head some people have problems with usb sockets on their wii not functioning correctly so... yeah. Thanks again.

Take care

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Here are two things to keep in mind - shutting down the Wii at any time is probably totally safe. I don't see a high level of file system damage possible from a WBFS setup since it's essentially running in "read-only" mode when you're playing a game. This also applies to just pulling the chord on it out randomly, although I don't suggest doing that to the Power chord, just the USB chord (unless your drive is powered by the USB cable, then I'd say wait until it's stopped doing anything).

Secondly, if you go into your Wii Internet settings and turn the "Standby Connection" off, when you turn the Wii off it will shut down ALL the way, usually causing your hard drive to think it's not connected to anything and turn itself off, so you don't need to unplug anything ever.

3. natemckn

Member natemckn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have turned off my wii while running a game from USB plenty of times with no adverse effects. In my mind it is the same idea as turning off the system while a disc is playing.

Unplugging the hard drive while it is on does seem a bit more risky. I do NOT recommend unplugging the hard drive while the wii is accessing it. If the wii is off, I don't think there is a problem with unplugging the drive.

4. Acetic Orcein
    OP

Member Acetic Orcein GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thank you very much!
    Yes dont worry, I wouldnt consider pulling out the cable randomly haha!

But yes, wii connect 24 is off. So the wii completely powers down. Woo! I think there's an option in the GX loader too?
    Thanks again.