Hacking USB Loader GX

  • Thread starter cyrex
  • Start date
  • Views 6,370,534
  • Replies 27,866
  • Likes 41

A50SNAKE

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
15
Trophies
0
XP
226
Country
Canada
just wondering how everyone was able to get a NTSC version of NSMB to work on usb loader GX? thanks.

I am on 3.2 and I have tried ppf patched and original full versions, neither work with any settings in the usb loader GX, however i was able to get the pal version to work, except I got a black screen on the first castle in world 6.

thanks,
 

uberbdon

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2009
Messages
117
Trophies
0
XP
133
Country
United States
Hopefully some of the GX authors read this thread, because I have a suggestion. uLoader and CFG are the only back up loaders that spin up my external HD. I know, if I had the money to buy a western digital HD I would. I use a FreeAgent Desk 500gb. Anyway, to use GX I have to either unplug/plug in my HD so that it spins up, or I have to go into uLoader or CFG, have them spin it up, then exit and jump into GX. I'm no programmer, but I'd imagine adding whatever these 2 loaders do to spin up the HD wouldn't be hard to add to a great loader like GX.

Seeing as how the manufacturers of hard drives aren't really striving to be compatible with USB loaders for the Wii, I'd figure maybe the authors of GX would impliment this. As I said, I'm not programmer but I can't imagine it being that difficult to throw into the boot sequence whatever uLoader and CFG do to spin up the HD. It couldn't hurt, only make your loader more compatible with many HD's that people already own.

Thanks
 
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
1,673
Trophies
0
Location
Manchester
XP
421
Country
United Kingdom
Can i copy my Usbloader gx setting to another Sd card for another wii and would it work so that all my setting for alt.dols ect would be the same on the other wii?

Edit: Thanks Flak, this will make hacking my friends wii a lot easier
 

giantpune

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
2,860
Trophies
0
XP
213
Country
United States
uberbdon said:
Hopefully some of the GX authors read this thread, because I have a suggestion. uLoader and CFG are the only back up loaders that spin up my external HD.
have you tried r880+ or the noHDD branch? they are handling drives just a bit differently and it has increased compatibility for some peoples' shitty drives. and with the noHDD branch, it will start the loader without a HDD at all and then just keep retrying it in the background.
 

hdhacker

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
437
Trophies
0
XP
287
Country
United States
uberbdon said:
I use a FreeAgent Desk 500gb. Anyway, to use GX I have to either unplug/plug in my HD so that it spins up, or I have to go into uLoader or CFG, have them spin it up, then exit and jump into GX. I'm no programmer, but I'd imagine adding whatever these 2 loaders do to spin up the HD wouldn't be hard to add to a great loader like GX.

I know two people with that drive with no problems. How did you partition the drive?
 

Clish

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
48
Trophies
0
XP
51
Country
Canada
This problem started a couple weeks ago ......with rev 814 and i updated and still occurs

problem: forwarder goes into a black screen then exit backs to home menu

I can get into usbloadergx from HBC but it does not contain box arts or anything, i can't change the settings on how to launch a game as well meaning i can't set error 002 fix etc... (it stays i don't have an SD card - yet i am running the program from the SD card)

any ideas?
 

dkmaster

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
32
Trophies
0
XP
28
Country
Greece
Hi. I saw that the sundriver is able to run gc games from the hdd. Is it time to hope that will play gc games from hdd via usb loader gx as well?
 

uberbdon

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2009
Messages
117
Trophies
0
XP
133
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
uberbdon said:
I use a FreeAgent Desk 500gb. Anyway, to use GX I have to either unplug/plug in my HD so that it spins up, or I have to go into uLoader or CFG, have them spin it up, then exit and jump into GX. I'm no programmer, but I'd imagine adding whatever these 2 loaders do to spin up the HD wouldn't be hard to add to a great loader like GX.

I know two people with that drive with no problems. How did you partition the drive?

the problem was fixed with the latest release, thankfully
smile.gif
now only if other devs would follow suit for mplayer, snes9x etc..
 

spotanjo3

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
10,951
Trophies
1
XP
5,410
Country
United States
Hello. I use download forward and I have WD My Passport Essential USB 2.0 320 gb.

I bought it today and plug it to my computer and format it then I put New Super Mario bros in it then go to Wii and turn USB Loader GX 1.0 on and it ask me to format it:

USB Load GX version 1.0 -- No WBFS partition found. You need to format a partition. and I did it and now it erased my new super mario bros.iso so I go back to PC and now it ask me to format it as well. oO


I dont understand. Whats going on ? Did I do something wrong ?
 

nanoblade

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
5
Trophies
0
XP
1
Country
Old8oy said:
nanoblade said:
r-win said:
That is indeed the solution, but he cannot access the settings
smile.gif

uLoader uses cios 222, while USB GX and Wiiflow uses 249 by default. It seems that 249 doesn't support you HDD. You should change the default cios to 222. Open /config/GXGlobal.cfg in a decent editor (not notepad) and search for the line cios = 0. Change the 0 to 1, save, and try again.

Thanks buddy, I've done that for wiiflow now, and the 222 version works fine. However, since GX loader can't start with my HDD the GXGlobal.cfg file hasn't been generated on my SD Card, I've tried copying and pasting someone elses file text from this forum but that doesn't work. Any other suggestions, or could someone PM me their config file zipped up??

Thanks

try just making a txt file named GXglobal.cfg and add the line : cios = 1

save it and put it in a folder named config on the root of your SD

let us know if it works for you.

Thanks, that worked perfectly.
 

spotanjo3

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
10,951
Trophies
1
XP
5,410
Country
United States
RockmanForte said:
Hello. I use download forward and I have WD My Passport Essential USB 2.0 320 gb.

I bought it today and plug it to my computer and format it then I put New Super Mario bros in it then go to Wii and turn USB Loader GX 1.0 on and it ask me to format it:

USB Load GX version 1.0 -- No WBFS partition found. You need to format a partition. and I did it and now it erased my new super mario bros.iso so I go back to PC and now it ask me to format it as well. oO


I dont understand. Whats going on ? Did I do something wrong ?

Please help me out ?
 

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
23,518
Trophies
2
Age
43
Location
Engine room, learning
XP
14,795
Country
France
@RockmanForte :

Your computer can read Windows disk format (NTFS or FAT32), and isn't compatible with Wii format (WBFS). That's why your computer ask you to reformat your drive (only the Wii can read it)

At the beginning, the Wii could only read WBFS formated drive, and couldn't read Windows format. That's why the Wii ask you to format your ntfs to wbfs if you are using an old version of usbloader.
But if you format your drive to WBFS using USBloaderGX, your PC can't read it using Explorer.
You will need to use programs to manage the content of your disk if it's formated in WBFS (Format to wbfs/view/copy/delete games), you can use WBFS manager 3.0, or Wii Backup Manager, or any other available

What's new :
The Wii can now read Windows formated drive, but you need a recent USBloader_GX revision.
If you want to use .iso, you will have to update usbloader_gx, so do not use 1.0
Download the 883.dol from here

rename it to boot.dol and replace it in your SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol
delete sd:/config/ folder too, so it will create it again but with newer file's format.

Format your USB drive back to NTFS.
create a folder names wbfs
(like this USBDrive:/wbfs/)
in this folder you will have to put your games.iso

The games must be renamed to match their game's ID, you can do it manually, or use Wii Backup Manager to copy your iso to your usb drive, it will be done and renamed automatically.

The filename must be
xxxxxx_whatever you want.iso
xxxxxx = game ID (you can find game's ID on http://wiitdb.com)

For example, new mario need to be (if it's NTSC version) :
USBDrive:/wbfs/SMNE01_new_mario.iso
or
USBDrive:/wbfs/SMNE01/SMNE01_new_mario.iso


last edit :
Ok, I think I'm done editing again and again, and I finally wrote a fully explicative message, with links and all.
I hope you will find it useful.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/xoBNc4WtlSw