OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
discordapp.com
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to install some wii games on my wii so I got myself a USB so I can play them using the Loader. I followed a tutorial step-by-step ( for reference if necessary. I apologize if it isn't) and when I went to load the channel the game wouldn't show up. It's scanning the USB because it never gave me the error prior to startup but it won't show the game. I went to make sure if the game was in my wbfs folder and it was. Is there something I possibly missed? Or is there another problem that I'm having, such as it could be a bad game file? At this point I'm lost

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't watch the video, but few things :
- Video tutorial are BAD, outdated and wrong 100% of the time.

General setup:
- don't use a flash drive
- verify you are using newest version of tools and apps, don't use provided version of apps in tutorials. (specifically tutorial which can't be updated, like videos).
- Plug your HDD on port 0 (Bottom USB Port on Wii, Top-back Port on WiiU)
- if using a WiiU, you need y-cable to power your HDD. (but I guess if you had a WiiU, you would already had bricked your console by following a Wii video tutorial, so you have a Wii).
- Always use WiiBackupManager to add games to your drive, using this guide.

Follow the syscheck guide in my signature and post the result here, so we can see what has been done or not done yet to your console.
after your report, we will advise what to do.
Don't do things not asked, if you want help from us please wait for our help and don't think you know better and can do things in advance (or you wouldn't be here), and please report as much things as you can when we ask a question and everything will work fine soon enough :)
thank you.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: MichiS97

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
flash drive can work, but :
- it's not sure to work at all, old devices might have better chances than newest.
- if it seems to work, it's just that : seems. Most flash drives can list game but can't launch them.
- if you find a flashdrive which can launch games, it will freeze often, while playing, while dumping a game, while downloading covers, every write can freeze and corrupt your partition.

if you don't want to be annoyed trying to make it work, you better use an external hdd. (for references, they are USB drives too!)

Last edited by Cyan,

TailsPrower07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
discordapp.com
XP
Country
United States
- it's not sure to work at all, old devices might have better chances than newest.
- if it seems to work, it's just that : seems. Most flash drives can list game but can't launch them.
- if you find a flashdrive which can launch games, it will freeze often, while playing, while dumping a game, while downloading covers, every write can freeze and corrupt your partition.

if you don't want to be annoyed trying to make it work, you better use an external hdd. (for references, they are USB drives too!)
I'll give it another go once I get the money to get an external hdd, which I'm pretty sure cost an arm and a leg lol. Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

TailsPrower07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
discordapp.com
XP
Country
United States

Sorry to bring this up months later, but finally deciding on getting an eternal hdd to get this going again (stopped playing the Wii for a while). But I just have a quick question, will any HDD work or are will only certain ones work? And is there any that you would recommend? Thanks

DrGlitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here is how i got mine to work, I used WII Backup Manager and converted my USB drive ti WSBF within Wii Backup Manager, i then set drive 1 as the c drive and my usb as drive 2, downloaded the covers, and selected transfer to drive 2. and it worked.. note if your using wii backup manager. I strongly suggest running either the 32 or 64 bit version depending on your system. don't just run any version it might corrupt the files.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't use WBFS, it's old and deprecated.
just use FAT32, and if the drive is not detected fast enough, then just use IOS58 like I said. it's what ALL other homebrew are using, and it works fine like that.
if still you have issue, it's because you use a FLASH DRIVE instead of real HDD. FLASH DRIVES ARE NOT SUPPORTED. I can't count how many times we said it on this forum. but yes, wbfs can "semi-fix" the detection problem, but not the write problem.

wii backup manager either 32 or 64 bit? well, there's nothing else. that's basically all the possibilities. so, of course, use either one of the two existing version. there's no 16bit version, or 128 bit version....
if you meant "app version" and not the "bit version", then old is not necessarily bad or corrupting hdds. I'm using an old one without issue. of course, newer is probably better for bug fixes, but not always. newer can mean new introduced bugs too.

edit: I might have understand it now : you meant if he uses 32bit windows to not launches 64bit version? and vice versa?
64bit on 32bit windows wouldn't run, and 32bit should work fine on 64bit windows though.
I'm using v0.3.6 build 48 32bit version on win64 and didn't have problem so far, both on WBFS and FAT32 partition format. but that's only because I don't have to deal with partition bigger than 2TB (or else, you need 64bit version)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Alexander1970

DrGlitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
don't use WBFS, it's old and deprecated.
just use FAT32, and if the drive is not detected fast enough, then just use IOS58 like I said. it's what ALL other homebrew are using, and it works fine like that.
if still you have issue, it's because you use a FLASH DRIVE instead of real HDD. FLASH DRIVES ARE NOT SUPPORTED. I can't count how many times we said it on this forum. but yes, wbfs can "semi-fix" the detection problem, but not the write problem.

wii backup manager either 32 or 64 bit? well, there's nothing else. that's basically all the possibilities. so, of course, use either one of the two existing version. there's no 16bit version, or 128 bit version....
if you meant "app version" and not the "bit version", then old is not necessarily bad or corrupting hdds. I'm using an old one without issue. of course, newer is probably better for bug fixes, but not always. newer can mean new introduced bugs too.

edit: I might have understand it now : you meant if he uses 32bit windows to not launches 64bit version? and vice versa?
64bit on 32bit windows wouldn't run, and 32bit should work fine on 64bit windows though.
I'm using v0.3.6 build 48 32bit version on win64 and didn't have problem so far, both on WBFS and FAT32 partition format. but that's only because I don't have to deal with partition bigger than 2TB (or else, you need 64bit version)

Well I tried using FAT 32, MYSELF and it wouldn't detect the games. I converted to WBSF using WII Backup Manager and it worked perfectly fine. and yes I meant if he's using a 32bit operating system then he should only use the 32bit exe file.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
is your drive an external HDD, or a flash drive?
I know flash drive have issues, and using WBFS is one way to fix it.
if it's a HDD, then it's not common to have to use WBFS as FAT32 (or ntfs) should work.

But, as long as everything is good for you, then there's no problem using wbfs :)
that tool is fine to manage the partition. wit/wwt/wijmanager/WiBaFu are fine too.
WBFS Manager is not though, it corrupts games on wbfs partition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @AncientBoi my condolences to both of you +2