Hacking USB Loader GX V3 is much slower to load than V1

jamonbread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a used Wii a few months ago now and it came with a 2GB SD card with homebrew already installed. I've updated most of the hombrew apps now. I recently got a new Samsung 1TB HDD and ripped a few of my games to the drive using USB Loader GX. I noticed last night that I was running version V1 of USB GX using IOS222 Rev 938 so I updated to V3 manually on the SD card.

I then opened GX V3 and ran its in app update let the latest install then restarted GX and it hanged frozen at initialize drive and I had to pull the Wii's plug (its only frozen once so far straight after the update restart)

When using USB GX V1 it booted so fast that I couldn't even see any of the loading text about which IOS it is loading and waiting for the drive to initialize. I'm thinking its probably best downgrading back to GX V1 since its faster with my new HDD
Are there any real disadvantages using V1 with IOS222 over V3 USING IOS249?
I never bothered to update the channels installed forwarder for GX Its takes the same time when launching from the HomeBrew channel.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If v1 work for you, you can continue to use it but you will miss lot of features and fixes.
some games will not work with v1, but as long as you don't encounter incompatible games I guess you don't need to update.

v3 is slower to load because it's loading internal resources (system menu font, images, etc.) to construct the new interface with banner animation.
it's like 5 seconds instead of 2seconds? if you can't wait 3 more second at launch to get more features, supports, fixes, etc. then v1 is enough.

v3 has :
FAT32/NTFS support (recommended FAT32 now, old WBFS format often corrupts old games when adding new ones)
Gamecube backup support
Banner layout mode
Emulated NAND channel launching
lot of fixes for games (compatibility with latest cIOS, IOS-reloading games (like metroid prime trilogy, Sam&Max, all motion+ games, etc.)
Category filtering
and many more.

You can see the full update list on the main threads (since 2.0)

jamonbread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's just the HDD initialize speed that's quite a bit slower now. I was using an old 500gb HDD for a few days and it's was slow to initialize on GX V1 so when I updated to to a 1TB Sammy still on V1 I was impressed by the almost instant drive speed. Should I bother to install the newer GX forwarder or is the old one fine as long as it works? I've backed up my SD card before updating GX so I'm going to stick with V3 for now and make sure I don't get another freeze at startup or any in game freezing before deciding. Thanks for the response

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the new forwarder supports boot.dol location on USB, and read the meta.xml's arguments.
arguments are used to provides the loader user's settings right at boot time before it even loads the settings file. It's used for example to tell which USB port to read from (port0 or port1) or if USB should be skipped (users only want SD card for gamecube, or homebrew launching).

by default it loads USB from port0, using cIOS on slot249.
if you only have your boot.dol on SD and don't need arguments, you can keep your current forwarder.
but it you have the occasion to update it, just do it so it's done. it doesn't takes a lot of work to update it and you won't bother with is anymore.

jamonbread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. I had another freeze when USB GX was initializing the HDD I also experienced one fatal error after a few hours of ghostbusters and the game then froze during a loading screen straight after rebooting from the freeze. Is it common to get the occasional freeze every now and again using boot loaders in general.

I tried wiiflow but it can't even detect my HDD for some reason, its formatted to WBFS as I'm using it solely for wii rips at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all