USB Loader GX: "USB Device not initialized. Switching to channel list mode."

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by The T, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The T
    OP

The T Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2016
    United States
    This is my first time trying to set up Backups, and it's been a total nightmare.

I have grabbed USB Loader GX from it's thread here; updated it in the app itself.

I've used Wii Backup Manager to format the drive (FAT32, 32K) and move the WBFS files onto the USB drive.

And when launching it, after it does the initial setup (or any time I go and select what types of files to show), I get the error message "USB Device not initialized. Switching to channel list mode."

Going into the settings and choosing the top option of the 3rd menu item (sorry, it's not in front of me) does not let me initialize it; clicking it has no effect at all.

What am I doing wrong?

2. person66

person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Jun 16, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Make sure you are plugging it into the USB port closest to the edge of the Wii. I don't know what kind of drive you are using, but it may need more power than the wii provides. If you have one of those cables that plug in to two usb ports you could try that (make sure the main plug goes into the edge usb port). It may also just an incompatible drive, see if it works with a different drive (even a thumb drive or something would work, just to test it).

3. The T
    OP

The T Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, it's in the right spot; when it isn't in the right spot, it hangs on a timer (until I press B) during the black loading screen.

It's an 8 GB flash drive; Are flash drives an issue, or should they work fine?

I guess if there are no other options, I will grab another flash drive when I can and try it.

4. dragonjud

dragonjud Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2009
    United States
    I get this error on occassion. Unplugging the drive, and reconnecting it. Often times resetting the Wii, also helps to eventually help clear the error.

MegaSuperab2 likes this.
  5. person66

person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Jun 16, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Most flash drives should work fine, the odd ones do have issues though. I know one of the older off-brand flash drives that I have doesn't work right in my wii. Might be worth it to try a different flash drive if you have any laying around.

6. Nitsud

Nitsud Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2016
    Was there any solution found for this?

Currently suffering the same issue with the "USB Device not initialised. Switching to channel list mode".
    I am very stumped on this issue.

I mostly followed this video:
    And I use wii backup manager.

The USB flash drive used is a sandisk 16GB.

EDIT: I can only load the game when I go to Loader Settings and change the USB port to 1. Though after loading game up, it goes into a black screen of death.

Last edited by Nitsud, Aug 21, 2016
  7. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Please post a SysCheck report and what revisions of any loaders you're using. This thread is from March and may not have anything to do with what issues you're having. Flash drives are notoriously flaky on Wiis so a HDD may solve your problems.

One thing I can see is that the tutorial video recomends WBFS Manager and WBFS partitions, both of which are a bad idea. Use Wii Backup Manager and FAT32.

Last edited by GreyWolf, Aug 21, 2016
  8. Nitsud

Nitsud Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2016
    Here is my Syscheck:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

The USB Loader GX version is 3.0 r1239.
    I've used Wii Backup Manager and FAT32 from other guides prior to the video, so I dont think it was those issues.
    I switched over to a WD Hard Drive but same problem.

Last edited by Nitsud, Aug 21, 2016
  9. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    The report looks fine.

WBFS Manager has a habit of corrupting games already on the disc when adding new ones. If you absolutely have to use WBFS as a partition type Wii Backup Manager is safer.

r1239 is a bit old, it may help to update the loader. The newest one is r1260.

10. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.