USB Loader GX not running games

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by the_rhino_uk, Jul 31, 2009.

Jul 31, 2009
  1. the_rhino_uk
    OP

Newcomer the_rhino_uk Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Ok, this is a bit of an odd one.

After all my reading and such like I installed UBS Loader GX the other day and was happily running games from an old Iomega HDD drive (formatted a blank partition in WBFSManager). But that really is an old drive and I wanted to get a new one just for my Wii. So after looking at the compatibility list I decided to get a WD Elements 640GB.

I was setting it up last night and I liked the idea of partitioning 300gb for my Wii games and leaving the rest as a seperate FAT32 partition for storing game ISO and dumping ISO's via Superdump.

SO I created two partitions and assigned them both drive letters, formatted one in WBFSManager and the other to FAT32 (using fat32format.exe).

Everything seemed to be going fine when I fired up USB Loader GX as is picked up my drive and displayed the game I transferred to it BUT when I ran the game it just reset back to the Wii menu which was odd. To make it a bit more strange I had also installed Configurable USB Loader and tried the drive through there and it ran the game fine!! I kinda thought this ruled out cIOS38_rev14 being the problem as the game ran and I wasn't having these problems on my old Iomega.

So I tried to switch the partitions around (WBFS second and FAT32 first) and that also didn't work. It wasn't until I removed both partitions and then created / formated the whole drive partition as WBFS that it worked fine in USB Loader GX.

Now this isn't a big disaster because I will probably get a 8GB Kingston Datatraveller USB stick to use with superdumper as I've come to realise that having to unplug / re-plug in the HDD every time I dump a game will be a pain and worse case I could switch to using Configurable USB Loader but I just thought I would bring it up to see if anyone else has run into this problem before when trying to get a couple of partitions running with USB Loader GX (or even with a WD Elements drive).

After all USB Loader GX is kinda my fav USB loader at the mo [​IMG]

So the info about my system
    Wii Softmodded 4.1E with HBC, preloader, USB Loader GX, Configurable USB Loader, NeoGamma and cIOS38_rev14 installed.
    HDD - WD Elements 640GB trying to partition a WBFS and FAT32 (both ways around) both primary partitions created using Windows Disk management.

Any ideas / suggestions / info anyone?

2. Logan

Member Logan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
  3. the_rhino_uk
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ah, thanks for the link and apologies as I should have found that thread on my own and stuck up my details.

Kinda glad that its a known problem and wasn't just me being a spacker!! [​IMG]

4. jono@home

Member jono@home GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It been foxing me for a while.. if you can still post you details it would be appreciated... helps the developers...

use rev 647 it appears to be the most stable for us dual partitioner's... at least until its fixed...

hth

*whistles to self*

5. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm having the same issue and can't even find a download of r647 on their page. Grr.

6. Logan

United Kingdom
    Come back to this thread in five minutes and I'll have a freshly compiled r647 link for you.

7. jono@home

United Kingdom
  8. Logan

United Kingdom
  9. FenrirWolf

United States
    Thanks. I'd actually managed to find it a bit before you guys replied and now stuff is loading. Awesome.

10. jono@home

United Kingdom
    No prob, can you post your spec and findings in the trouble shooting thread..

helps the developers cheers..

11. FenrirWolf

United States
    Sure thing.

12. the_rhino_uk
    OP

United Kingdom
    Blimey, use 647! That's quite old compared to the latest 682 [​IMG]

I guess this problem has been around for a while then. What would you be missing out on if you use that older revision?