USB Loader GX & Nintendont "Unable to open the disc image file."

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by IveMalfunctioned, May 4, 2019.

1. IveMalfunctioned
    OP

IveMalfunctioned Newbie

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    Hi! I've recently gotten back into Wii hacking, and I had the very first version of USB Loader GX from years ago, I didn't even have GC games on it. I'm trying to play GC games from USB loader gx, but I get this error:
    [​IMG]
    I upgraded my Nintendont but whenever I loaded into a GC game it just froze. So I reverted back to the old version I had.

My software:
    -USB Loader GX v3.0 R1271
    -Nintendont v5.486

Modified Custom Paths:
    Main GameCube Path: usb1:/games/
    Nintendont Loader Path: usb1:apps/Nintendont

The reason its USB1 is because I use a 4 GB USB stick to load all my apps and cheat codes, and I use a 1 tb HDD to store all the games. I wanted to permanently have Nintendont on the HDD so I put it in usb1:/apps/Nintendont
    Here's my SysCheck, including all my versions:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

If you need any more info, lmk

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    read the RED MESSAGE : Unable to open the file.
    the problem is clearly access to the file.

1)
    USB Sticks ARE BAD.
    use a real HDD.

2)
    verify your ISO is good, and really an ISO.
    if it's a ciso, that's probably the issue, renaming ciso to iso is not the solution.
    if it's a ciso format, rename it back to ciso, and use nintendont to boot the game instead of usbloadergx.

3)
    verify your partitions!
    usb1 means "first partition".
    if you use 2 USB devices, don't !
    really, don't use 2 devices plugged at the same time, you'll fixed lot of issues.
    put everything on the 1TB HDD.

if you still plan to use 2 devices at the same time, you need to understand how the console works and how the USB Ports are accessed to know which order to plug the devices, and which one needs the files on it.
    you probably messed the settings and have USBLoaderGX see the games on one drive, but nintendont trying to find it on the other drive.
    just use 1 device, problem fixed.
    even better, use an SD card for homebrew instead of usb stick ! don't be cheap, and you'll be thanking me once everything works instead of trying to fix issues that you shouldn't have to begin with. lot of people just make fantasy and folkloric setup and wonder why they have problem, and persist in not changing but request a fix to bad setup instead.

proper and better setup for wii is :
    SD card + 1 HDD
    SD for apps and resources, hdd for iso/rom/games.

Nintendont goes to Sd card too !
    sd:/apps/nintendont/boot.dol <--- ALL homebrew apps on SD
    usb:/games/title/game.iso <--- ALL ISO on USB

you don't need to put nintendont on USB to play games from USB.

Last edited by Cyan, May 4, 2019
  3. IveMalfunctioned
    OP

IveMalfunctioned Newbie

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    Ok, I'll be using a 2GB SD equipped with the same version of USB Loader GX and Nintendont. I tried loading it up without the 4GB USB connected, and I changed the Nintendont Loader Path to sd:/apps/Nintendont but I still get the same error. Also the Main Gamecube Path hasn't changed to usb:/games it's still usb1:/games

4. IveMalfunctioned
    OP

IveMalfunctioned Newbie

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    bump

5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    use of SD : good
    use of flash drive : still not the best idea, why not use your 1TB HDD for the games? it's not FAT32?

if only your flash drive is FAT32, be sure you plug it into USB Port 0 (bottom on Wii), or in port1 if you still use 2 USB devices. Port1 is seen first by nintendont and will be used even if no games are present, resulting in "can't find file" error.
    if everything seems good (path and filename and usb port), then maybe the problem is really the ISO itself. did you verify it? are you sure it's an iso and not ciso ?

did you try to launch nintendont directly, without using usbloadergx ? see if the gamecube game works that way to know if it's a loader's issue, or a file issue.

Last edited by Cyan, May 5, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted