Hacking USB Loader GX Launch Wii Game black screen back to HB Chan

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hooked my HDD to the computer to delete a game. Now when I launch a Wii game from USB Loader GX I get a black screen for a few seconds and then it takes me back to HB Channel. I checked the drive for errors and all clean no issues. I can launch GC games still through USBLGX/Nintendont. Any ideas?

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hooked my HDD to the computer to delete a game. Now when I launch a Wii game from USB Loader GX I get a black screen for a few seconds and then it takes me back to HB Channel. I checked the drive for errors and all clean no issues. I can launch GC games still through USBLGX/Nintendont. Any ideas?

Sometimes when you delete a game using a computer's file manager, it corrupts other games. You must always delete a game from within USBLoaderGX or using Wii Backup Manager. To fix this now, you should copy all your games off the HDD to another one with Wii Backup Manager (And any other files you want to save!), then reformat the old HDD. Now, copy your files to the reformatted drive using the computer's file manager, then copy your games to the reformatted drive with Wii Backup Manager. It should work now!:yaywii: If this doesn't work, you may need a new HDD. :(

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I need a new HDD if the computer tells me the drive is healthy and can not find anything wrong with it? Also, all of the GC games are running with no issues.

I guess I will try reformatting it and moving the games with Wii Backup Manager even though this is not how I have done it this whole time with no issue. Thank you, any other ideas let me know.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I need a new HDD if the computer tells me the drive is healthy and can not find anything wrong with it? Also, all of the GC games are running with no issues.

You most likely don't need a new HDD. I only said that if my method above doesn't work then that is a possibility. But, one other thing to try would be to reinstall the cIOS you use. Also, remember that Wii cIOSes are NOT compatible with vWii. It (probably) won't brick it if you mix them up, but it would definitely not work correctly.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You most likely don't need a new HDD. I only said that if my method above doesn't work then that is a possibility. But, one other thing to try would be to reinstall the cIOS you use. (I would recommend d2x.) Also, remember that Wii cIOSes are NOT compatible with vWii. It (probably) won't brick it if you mix them up, but it would definitely not work correctly.

Isn't d2x the only cIOS set currently updated for vWii?

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been using d2x cIOS for the vWii so I know that isn't the issue. Had no issues prior to hooking it to the computer and removing a game. Trying the reformat but its going to take awhile. will let you know if it makes a difference.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I am sure and have been using it just fine for like a year.

It most likely is not a cIOS problem because it was working perfectly and all you did was delete one game. The problem is most likely a corrupted disk. (And yes it can be corrupted even when Windows says it's fine.) One other thing you can try is replacing the USBLoader GX files on your SD card with the latest ones, effectively re-installing it

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still not understanding "corrupted disk" when I can play all 30 GC games with no issue from the same drive through Nintendont or through USB Loader GX->Nintendont.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes when you delete a game using a computer's file manager, it corrupts other games. You must always delete a game from within USBLoaderGX or using Wii Backup Manager.

What? Deleting a game using usbloadergx or wii backup manager should be no different than using windows. None of the three blank out the exact data the file used, they only flags the file as deleted and the space as "free". I'm not saying it didn't corrupt another game or anything, but it wouldn't be all of his Wii games, and rather unlikely if the gc games work. If it (the HDD) was formatted as WBFS, I'd be inclined to agree as I had the same issue back then.

My cousins Wii did this crap. I just deleted all traces of usbloadergx from sd card and put it back on from the latest archive, problem solved. In any case, what commands are you using with chkdsk?

Edit: I'm not trying to be a dick Mysterio, I've just never heard of such a thing happening as that on Fat32 or NTFS. Like file corruption yes, but not every other file in the same folder structure unless like you said the hdd is problematic/corrupt. But his gc games shouldn't load if that was the case.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? Deleting a game using usbloadergx or wii backup manager should be no different than using windows. None of the three blank out the exact data the file used, they only flags the file as deleted and the space as "free". I'm not saying it didn't corrupt another game or anything, but it wouldn't be all of his Wii games, and rather unlikely if the gc games work. If it (the HDD) was formatted as WBFS, I'd be inclined to agree as I had the same issue back then.

My cousins Wii did this crap. I just deleted all traces of usbloadergx from sd card and put it back on from the latest archive, problem solved. In any case, what commands are you using with chkdsk?

Edit: I'm not trying to be a dick Mysterio, I've just never heard of such a thing happening as that on Fat32 or NTFS. Like file corruption yes, but not every other file in the same folder structure unless like you said the hdd is problematic/corrupt. But his gc games shouldn't load if that was the case.

I HAVE seen it happen, and I know the exact reason. When a game is deleted from an NTFS drive by a standard file manager, what happens is the space is marked as free, and the pointer is removed. Sometimes (not always) the leftover space in that removed pointer confuses USB Loader GX. It works just fine though with other USB Loaders. The two solutions I have found are:
1: Move everything off the drive, then put them back. (Wii Backup Manager puts a few extra files on that help USB Loaders, so that is why I said to use it.)
2: Defragment the disk using Windows Disk Defragmenter. This method actually takes much longer than method 1 because Windows doesn't use the large amount of space that it would take to reparse all the files.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HAVE seen it happen, and I know the exact reason. When a game is deleted from an NTFS drive by a standard file manager, what happens is the space is marked as free, and the pointer is removed. Sometimes (not always) the leftover space in that removed pointer confuses USB Loader GX. It works just fine though with other USB Loaders. The two solutions I have found are:
1: Move everything off the drive, then put them back. (Wii Backup Manager puts a few extra files on that help USB Loaders, so that is why I said to use it.)
2: Defragment the disk using Windows Disk Defragmenter. This method actually takes much longer than method 1 because Windows doesn't use the large amount of space that it would take to reparse all the files.

It might be best for him to try replacing all the GX files first, since that wouldn't take very long. If that doesn't work, then it would be a good idea to try your methods

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It does sound more like a bug with usbloadergx, not the hdd or using a "standard file manager". Especially if other loaders dont give a crap. They all use the MFT on NTFS drives (which is where those pointers youre talking about are). If it was corrupt that bad, he'd be hard pressed to mount it in windows normally.

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deleted USB Loader GX off the SD. Put it back on there, updated it, set it up. All the Wii and GC games show up. GC Games run fine through USB Loader GX but Wii games black screen and back to HBC.

One thing I noticed, after I had deleted that game and ran USB Loader GX, I had to go in and re-check Wii games in the "Select titles source" it had turned off. When I set up USB Loader GX again just now I had to do the same thing, wii games wasn't checked. I don't remember ever having to do that for the wii games only when I added GC games.

Oh well I guess I will be moving all this stuff off the drive... thanks for the ideas everyone.

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moved everything off the drive using Wii Backup Manager. One game out of everything could not be read. Formatted drive, Copied everything back with Wii Backup Manager. I checked the Wii Backup Manager logs and Windows 7 logs and there were no read errors or any issues at all. Loaded up USB Loader GX, All of the games are visible and yet same things happens. When I load a Wii game it black screens for a while and then goes back to the HBC.

GC games, emulators and Homebrew still running with no issues.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reinstall your ciosses, pretty sure ciosx 2.1 or d2x cios is overwritten by stub by Nintendo (hermes should still work though). it could also mean you didn't install the ciosses the right way in that case install ios 236 first, and install your cios with ios 236.

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do I get comments like "it could also mean you didn't install the ciosses the right way" when I mentioned multiple times I have been using this drive, these games, this system for almost a year with no issue...

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reinstalled D2X Cios and no change. WiiFlow black screens and then loads Wii Menu, USB Loader GX Black Screens to HBC when opening a Wii game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.