Hacking USB Loader GX issues & cIOS issues/questions.

WulfBlazer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I'm new to GBAtemp and will be posting a lot once I get situated. It's nice here.
smile.gif
But I digress...

I'm a college student with a Wii that is going to a school where items are easily stolen. I have taken it upon myself to backup my discs via USB Loader GX so I can play at school without fear of having my games stolen (alas, it has happened to me multiple times before.)

Anyways, I already had the Homebrew channel installed, so I followed these directions to the T...

CODE(1): Pass the contents of the folder "files" to the root of your SD card.

(2): Disconnect any Memory Card or GCN Controller. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

(3): Insert the SD card on your Wii and run Homebrew Channel (The homebrew must be 1.0.7 or higher). Run "IOS236 Installer/ Uninstaller"; Press 1 to install IOS236 and wait for a message on the screen "Getting IOS36 revision 3351". Now, select the option "Load IOS from SD card". When the installation finish, press any button to return to the HBC.

(4): Load the "cIOS rev20b Installer" app and choose the IOS 236 on the first screen using the D-pad and button A. On the selection of IOS Base, choose the "IOS56 v5661", then "IOS 249", then "WAD Installation" and then, "Wii SD Slot". When the installation finish, press A to continue with the process. Now you'll have to install the IOS 250. Now you´ll have to select again an IOS Base, so select the "IOS38 v4123" and then "IOS 250" (instead of IOS 249). Also, choose again "WAD Installation" and then "Wii SD Slot". When you finish, press the button B to return to the HBC.

(5): NOTE: NOW, IS THE INSTALLATION OF THE CHANNEL. IF YOU JUST WANT TO LOAD IT FROM HBC, YOU CAN SKIP THIS STEP. IF YOU WANT THE CHANNEL, FOLLOW THE NEXT INSTRUCCTIONS. On HBC, run WAD Installer 1.7. Then press A to continue, and select "IOS 249". Select "Disable" for the NAND option, then "Wii SD Slot". Search the folder "wad", then, select the "USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder.wad" and install it. When the installation finish, press B and then HOME to return to the Homebrew Channel.

Unfortunately, I did not stop there. I grabbed the latest revision of USB Loader GX from the website (2.2, I believe) and Hermes cIOS installer from the USB Loader GX site as well. I installed Hermes' cIOS in both spots 249 and 250..

...I am unable to run USB Loader GX because the program states "Error ! USB Device not found" even though it initializes everything and I have my COMPATIBLE (as per the list) 8GB Sandisk Cruzer formatted to WBFS (FAT 32?) with WBFS Manager 3.0.

I want to know if I should buy a 250gb hard drive, if it's just my flashdrive being crappy, or if I messed up something with the cIOS installation. I know I'm a huge idiot with computers and that, but I will do my best to answer any questions you all have for me. I'd love to be able to use this program.

Thanks much!

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
And a better USB loader like Config.

In what way is it inferior to cfg?? - unhelpful and inaccurate comment (was true about 6 months ago tho

I use both and compatability is about the same, on the latest Beta GX allows you to put save files on the SD rather than fill up the wii menu +1 to GX!.

The only game I use cfg for is Rugby League 3, GX only plays the quick game, cfg plays them all. Compatibility is pretty much the same with both, I have one drive GX (249)will not read - cfg does not either,using Hermes 222 reads it fine though.

Back on topic

Which version of GX did you install 222 or 249 what cios's have you installed, most recommended packs inslude 222,223,224,249,250
However if you used an old guide then you will have old cios's, like suggested above use modmii to download the recommended versions of the above and install those.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Kittymat said:
JoostinOnline said:

In what way is it inferior to cfg?? - unhelpful and inaccurate comment (was true about 6 months ago tho

I use both and compatability is about the same, on the latest Beta GX allows you to put save files on the SD rather than fill up the wii menu +1 to GX!.

The only game I use cfg for is Rugby League 3, GX only plays the quick game, cfg plays them all. Compatibility is pretty much the same with both, I have one drive GX (249)will not read - cfg does not either,using Hermes 222 reads it fine though.

Back on topic

Which version of GX did you install 222 or 249 what cios's have you installed, most recommended packs inslude 222,223,224,249,250
However if you used an old guide then you will have old cios's, like suggested above use modmii to download the recommended versions of the above and install those.
Lol, I browse these forums (and several others) a lot more than you. GX isn't terrible anymore, but it still isn't as good as Cfg. As I explained here, statistics aren't based on your experiences alone. People have way more problems with the latest GX than they do with the latest Cfg.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
Kittymat said:
JoostinOnline said:

Back on topic

Lol, I browse these forums (and several others) a lot more than you. GX isn't terrible anymore, but it still isn't as good as Cfg. As I explained here, statistics aren't based on your experiences alone. People have way more problems with the latest GX than they do with the latest Cfg.
Not to mention that CFG is probably getting SD saves by September. Maybe even USB saves!

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"Not to mention that CFG is probably getting SD saves by September. Maybe even USB saves!"

Maybe, and personally I hope so as like I said I use both loaders, however when I asked for this feature last year when Hermes V5 came out to facililitate it (and uLoader had the facility) Dr Clipper was not going to look at it as it was un-necessary unless you pirated loads of games, so was out of the question! USB is an issue at the moment, this is the comment from Dimok (may need a cios change)

"NAND emu from USB doesn't seem to work. I get an error code -101 returned on mount and it uses real NAND. If anyone gets it to run, tell me. My guess is that the drive is occupied in the cIOS in another module (DI) and can't be remounted in the fat module. daveboal might know what causes that. If i don't mount the USB in the USB Loader GX then mounting the drive for NAND emu works. This is not an option for an USB Loader though
wink.gif
."

"Lol, I browse these forums (and several others) a lot more than you. GX isn't terrible anymore, but it still isn't as good as Cfg. As I explained here, statistics aren't based on your experiences alone. People have way more problems with the latest GX than they do with the latest Cfg."

Since April11!! Sorry that I only answer questions where there has been no credible answer - so I have few posts, I have been part of forums since 2008 when I repaired my first DS, like I said before, always interested if you have any genuine issues with GX, I will bring them to Dimok's attention on the google code thread, however most issues are to do with Hard Drives and cios's, I have not had a genuine DSI dump for many months - I also try all the Beta versions and pass back any issues I find. The latest has no issues with any games apart from the one I mentioned, same with CFG it has no issues, so like I said more to do with looks now than compatibility

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Kittymat said:
"Not to mention that CFG is probably getting SD saves by September. Maybe even USB saves!"

Maybe, and personally I hope so as like I said I use both loaders, however when I asked for this feature last year when Hermes V5 came out to facililitate it (and uLoader had the facility) Dr Clipper was not going to look at it as it was un-necessary unless you pirated loads of games, so was out of the question! USB is an issue at the moment, this is the comment from Dimok (may need a cios change)

"NAND emu from USB doesn't seem to work. I get an error code -101 returned on mount and it uses real NAND. If anyone gets it to run, tell me. My guess is that the drive is occupied in the cIOS in another module (DI) and can't be remounted in the fat module. daveboal might know what causes that. If i don't mount the USB in the USB Loader GX then mounting the drive for NAND emu works. This is not an option for an USB Loader though
wink.gif
."

"Lol, I browse these forums (and several others) a lot more than you. GX isn't terrible anymore, but it still isn't as good as Cfg. As I explained here, statistics aren't based on your experiences alone. People have way more problems with the latest GX than they do with the latest Cfg."

Since April11!! Sorry that I only answer questions where there has been no credible answer - so I have few posts, I have been part of forums since 2008 when I repaired my first DS, like I said before, always interested if you have any genuine issues with GX, I will bring them to Dimok's attention on the google code thread, however most issues are to do with Hard Drives and cios's, I have not had a genuine DSI dump for many months - I also try all the Beta versions and pass back any issues I find. The latest has no issues with any games apart from the one I mentioned, same with CFG it has no issues, so like I said more to do with looks now than compatibility
I am new to gbatemp, but not new to the hacking scene. If you had really been watching the forum, you would see that there are far more issues with GX than with Cfg. You are just one person. You don't have errors with GX, that's great, I'm happy for you. That doesn't change the fact that the majority of reported USB loader errors are GX related.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This has happened to me aswell.
It was because of me messing around with the IOSs..
I also use an 8GB USB so you should need a hard drive unless you want more space.
Get Modmii, which someone else has linked for.
Go onto the menu of it and type in 3.
You should be on a page of cIOSs.
Now type in REC (for recommended) and a bunch of them will be highlighted.
Now press d and they will download.
Now install theses WADs.
You should have any more problems after that.

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"I am new to gbatemp, but not new to the hacking scene. If you had really been watching the forum, you would see that there are far more issues with GX than with Cfg. You are just one person. You don't have errors with GX, that's great, I'm happy for you. That doesn't change the fact that the majority of reported USB loader errors are GX related. "

Thanks for your agreement to help
I await your input - start a thread with any genuine issues and be assured they will be reported into the development thread for the next release

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Kittymat said:
"I am new to gbatemp, but not new to the hacking scene. If you had really been watching the forum, you would see that there are far more issues with GX than with Cfg. You are just one person. You don't have errors with GX, that's great, I'm happy for you. That doesn't change the fact that the majority of reported USB loader errors are GX related. "

Thanks for your agreement to help
I await your input - start a thread with any genuine issues and be assured they will be reported into the development thread for the next release
I don't use GX anymore, got tired of it crashing. If you want stuff to report, just check the threads in this forum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1