[USB loader GX] I can´t run the Gamecube roms direct from HD, why?

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello! Here am I again

Now trying to put gamecube roms to work from USB HD

I have 2 partitions on the HD, one is exFAT and the other NTFS (this one also have the wbfs folder for wii games)
I copied the games folder with the GC roms to the two partitions, just for testing purposes

At nintendont app, it can show and load the roms, and I guess it loads from NTFS partition

At USB loader GX, it was not showing the games, only the ones on SD card, but I´ve reset the configuration and set it up to access all partitions, all usb ports, etc. etc.
and now it is showing the games. I believe this guy sees both NTFS and FAT partition

But, for some reason, when I try to open a GC game that is stored on HD on USB loader gx, it gaves a message asking to copy the game to the SD card. Apparently it will not allow to play without doing it.

I don´t want to do it since I have little free space on SD. I would want to run the games on USB Loader GX direct from USB hdd. Is it possible?

Both apps Nintendont and USB Loader GX are stored in SD

Many thanks for any advice

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why you're using 2 partitions.. And i think GC games like to be in a fat32 formated partition, but i could be wrong. Anyway, you can try this modified version of USBLOADERGX by @blackb0x , and see if the result is any different.
my guess as to why he has two partitions is he's using the drive on another system or maybe even for pc purposes. ;)

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you for the tip,I´ll give a try

Actually I tried first on the same partition of wii games, wich is NTFS. SIce nintendont did not see it, I created the second partition exFAT, and copied the games the folder into there.. So nintendont is working good now but I want use the GX interface because my kid is only 4 and cant read the game names on nintendont.

GX found the games but gives this weird message, something like "this game is on USB drive, you can copy it the SD card now or give up playing it" lol

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I thought it would be the the case but without sure. I creatted and formatted partition using the native disks tool from win 10 and it gaveme only ntfs and exfat options so I thought "let´s try, maybe it´s the same thing"

So if I re-format it to FAT32 will it work direct from HDD?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Normaly fat32 with 32k Cluster is the best option for format drives for WiiU. It gives best compatibiltiy for homebrew. Other like ntfs or ext4 "can" work, but there is no guaranty that everything runs fine and Nintendont doesn`t support ntfs.

If still wont run, we can search for other solutions.

Last edited by Sypherone,

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I created a FAT32 partition on the HD and put the "games" folder for GC games there.

This way, it loaded OK in the USB Loader GX, as well as the games in WII folder, that are in the NTFS partition.

USB Loader GX is wolking well for both consoles, but, for some reason, Configurable USB Loader stopped to find the wii games "at first" scan. In one USB port, it crashes on the cfg loading logo, on the other USB port, it does not recognize at first, but when I unplug and replug the usb cable it says OK! and show the games. I think this issue is prob because the HD has two partitions?

Not a big issue at all, since I can run everything through GX. I just prefer CFG due to cover flow style and automatic-cover-updates..

But I was wondering: IF this time I format the whole HD as exFAT with 32k cluster and put both folders WII and GAMES in this unique partition, would it work on both apps? would it work on wii flow too? (I shall point that, in that first time that I tested exFat for GX app, and it not worked to play direct from HD, I had not used the 32k cluster)

Is there something like an ultimate universal solution for both consoles fully working on the 3 apps (GX, CFG and wiiflow)?

(I cant do the entire HD as FAT32 because it has a limitation of total size of 32GB)

Last edited by locomia,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

@locomia

make a single partition on your external hard drive in fat32 and you will be fine.

put the three loaders on your SD card (choose the one that suits you)

use this version of Configurable loader v78.11 ==>Configurablel oader v78.11

usb loader gx ==> read games only on USB

wiiflow and configurable loader v78.11 ==> plays games on USB and SD card

Do you have an external hard drive or a USB key?

Recommend ==> external hard drive:yaywii:

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
(I cant do the entire HD as FAT32 because it has a limitation of total size of 32GB)
Normaly its right. But there already plenty Methodes to expand the size to format a drive or partition up to 2TB.
For example: fat32-larger then 32gb

And best stay on fat32. If u want to try some other Filesystem on your own, wich run all Loader, u can check the requirements for each Loader on there specific Site.

Reactions: locomia

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I created a FAT32 partition on the HD and put the "games" folder for GC games there.

This way, it loaded OK in the USB Loader GX, as well as the games in WII folder, that are in the NTFS partition.

USB Loader GX is wolking well for both consoles, but, for some reason, Configurable USB Loader stopped to find the wii games "at first" scan. In one USB port, it crashes on the cfg loading logo, on the other USB port, it does not recognize at first, but when I unplug and replug the usb cable it says OK! and show the games. I think this issue is prob because the HD has two partitions?

Not a big issue at all, since I can run everything through GX. I just prefer CFG due to cover flow style and automatic-cover-updates..

But I was wondering: IF this time I format the whole HD as exFAT with 32k cluster and put both folders WII and GAMES in this unique partition, would it work on both apps? would it work on wii flow too? (I shall point that, in that first time that I tested exFat for GX app, and it not worked to play direct from HD, I had not used the 32k cluster)

Is there something like an ultimate universal solution for both consoles fully working on the 3 apps (GX, CFG and wiiflow)?

You can format any +32GB drive as Fat32 with Guiformat, with 1 partition as you don't need more than that.

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wii backup manager has the option to format to fat32, there is no limit, I have two 1Tb HDD in fat32 without partitions and they work fine for everything.

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for all help on this topic

@jeannotte I am using a 320gb hard drive and wish to put everything in there: wii games, GC games and roms for SNES, MD and arcade

I managed to remove everything from 2 partitions, reformatted it as an unique fat32 drive using wii backup manager and copied all the GC and wii games back, respectively in "games" and "wbfs" folders.

It is still working OK on Usb Loader GX

But, unfortunately, for some reason, it is still not being recognized by CFG USB Loader

If I use the upper usb port, it's not detected and start that retry loop. If I use the lower usb port, the app freezes on the CFG logo screen and needs reboot. I tried downloading a new version o CFG loader (the one with a light switch - v70r78.11 ) but got same result, it freezes on the logo

I believe there is something wrong here, because these both apps GX and CFG are using the same folder on the SD root, called "usb-loader". Is this normal?

I tried using an windows app called "CFG loader configurator" available on this forum, to try forcing it to use USB drive as FAT, but no success.. One curiosity is that this configurator app found some invalid parameters in config.txt or theme.txt file (not sure) - this is one more reason that makes me worried about a conflict with the GX lying on the same folder as CFG..

gigxy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
create a folder one your HD with name "games", inside this folder, create a subfolder with the "game name", and inside this gamename folder, put the isogame named "game.iso":
(//games/namegame/game.iso)
That's what nintendont wants
;)

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It is still working OK on Usb Loader GX

But, unfortunately, for some reason, it is still not being recognized by CFG USB Loader
But if it's working on USB Loader GX why would you want to use CFG USB Loader too?

to try forcing it to use USB drive as FAT
You still need to use FAT32 and not FAT.

One curiosity is that this configurator app found some invalid parameters in config.txt or theme.txt file (not sure) - this is one more reason that makes me worried about a conflict with the GX lying on the same folder as CFG
I don't use USB Loader GX... but CFG USB Loader uses the same folder names as the first program.
Even Nintendont uses the same folders, which means that you can load GameCube isos with USB Loader GX or CFG USB Loader.

Maybe your "invalid parameters" are themed related.

The following has nothing to do with your problem, but maybe you're not paying attention to what the programs says at first launch:
When you start either USB Loader or CFG USB Loader, it first will look for USB devices, if there's nothing plugged in, it'll ask you to choose between different options, one of which is SD.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One curiosity is that this configurator app found some invalid parameters in config.txt or theme.txt file (not sure) - this is one more reason that makes me worried about a conflict with the GX lying on the same folder as CFG..
This is not normal, for gx mine is called usbloader_gx in root. And Normaly each homebrew applikation has his own directory in root/apps/<applicationname> including the xml configuration file. The installed forwarders are pointing there. Maybe check for details:
GX Loader: https://wii.guide/usbloadergx.html
CFG Loader: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/usb/configurable-usb-loader

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I believe there is something wrong here, because these both apps GX and CFG are using the same folder on the SD root, called "usb-loader". Is this normal?
Hello,

here is how is put usb loader gx on my SD:

SD://APPS // usbloader gx //==>(boot.dol, icon, meta)
at the root of the SD ://config // ==> (images, language, theme ..........)

here is how Configurable loader v70 is put on my SD:

SD//:APPS // USBLoader // ==>(boot.dol, icon , meta ..)
at the root of the SD ://usb-loader //==>(codes, covers, language, theme....)

For configurable usb loader v70 remove CFG v70 from your SD, and redo a clean install of configurable loader v70 on your SD.

But if it's working on USB Loader GX why would you want to use CFG USB Loader too?

everyone has their own choice, that's how I work.
it is better to have the three loaders which work, instead of having only one which does not work.:P:rofl2:

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you very much, guys! I´ll do a CGF USB Loader clean install and post results here!!

@juan Mena, I prefer CGF due to the cover flow style, it´s just a preference. CFG used to work well in the NTFS whole drive and started these strange behavior after I split the drive in two partitions (NTFS+exFAT) and continued the problem after I did one single unique FAT32 drive.

It´s ok to use USB Loader GX btw (my kid is playing a GC game right now) - but I´d like to have the 3 apps working (GX, CFG and wiiflow - this last one is a next project, in order to set up the arcade emultors inside it :yaywii:)

A small offtopic: In Zelda Wind Waker for gamecube the Y axis (right analog stick) is inverted, is there a fix for this?

Reactions: jeannotte

locomia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
if it can help you (know everything about Nintendont) ==>Nintendont (Gamecube)
Thank you Juan! I take a look on the topic you mentioned, and it left me to other two places (this one and this one)

I did a small research some days ago and today, and apparently the easier and best solution is to include some codes somewhere to invert the wrong axis. I also found some some codes for Wind Waker, TP and Mario Sunshine, like this:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN/AR/PAL)
CODE: SELECT ALL
Subject Camera: Regular Controls [Ralf]
1M00-RQCM-HYB0H
P819-N7EM-GAN6M
(etc.etc.)

I am pretty sure these codes would help me but I have no clue of where and how to include them (people talk in these topics about the codes as if they already know where to place them). Is it an Ocarina or Nintendont-native thing? Being on Ninentendont, will it work when launching the games through US Loader GX?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Same as always