USB Loader GX hangs downloading stuff - need to pull power cord...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by DebugErr, Dec 6, 2014.

1. DebugErr
    OP

DebugErr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    In my vWii, I use the USB Loader GX version to load backups.

Generally, it often hangs at downloading covers or cheats, and now it also hangs at "Theme Downloader" (just hit it to see what it offers).
    I can never abort such a hung download. The console isn't frozen, it's just USB Loader GX not doing anything anymore and not giving me a Cancel button. I also can't turn off the console, so I have to pull the power cord. Annoying!

Is there a secret "reset" key for USB Loader GX / vWii / Wii U or something?

I also wonder if these download problems are known or just an issue with my network.

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I have this issue as well. Hopefully cyan will post a solution.

I use cfg to download covers and it works perfectly

3. DebugErr
    OP

DebugErr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    Funny thing too, if I want to update it through the built-in updater, it hangs at 99.88%. At least it provides me a Cancel button I thought. But it does absolutely nothing :D

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    The theme downloader is not working anymore due to registration required on the website used to store themes. (unless It has been changed again)
    I didn't work on this part since they required registration.

Though, I don't know why it hangs when you want to update the loader or download covers.
    Usually, users with this issue reported that it was an issue with the drive (or even more usual : because you use a flash drive instead of USB external hard drive)

There's no secret reset or power off function.
    if the console crashed, it will not check any user input.
    I note to my todo list that I'll have to look at the "frozen download".

Oh and instead of pulling the cord, keep Power pressed for 7+ seconds to to a hard reset/forced shutdown.

5. DebugErr
    OP

DebugErr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the forced shutdown tip, I'll try it the next time I have problems with updating / downloading art.

It's actually not the whole console crashing or freezing, it's just that the USB Loader GX goes in a GUI state in which I cannot do anything to cancel the hung download. Either no Cancel button or a Cancel button with no effect.

I'm indeed using a 64GB USB flash drive.