Hacking USB Loader GX guide?

oRBIT2002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Along time ago I enabled homebrew on my Wii (using the Zelda-hack), but obviously later Wii firmwares disabled that (I'm pretty sure I've got the latest Wii(E) firmware installed).
I haven't read alot about the possibilites on the Wii lately but now I noticed this USB Loader GX to be able to load/run iso's from an USB drive.
I've searched for a "installation guide for dummies" for this software but haven't found one yet. Is there a guide for people like me how to install it?
smile.gif

Thanks in advance

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Downlad the all in one installer, it should put everything on the SD card.

However as you may not have all the required cios's so find and run modmii on your pc, this will download all the cios.s and also install a usb loader forwarder.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
First, re-hack your Wii if not already done (check sticked tutorials in the Wii > hacking forum). I recommend that you follow ModMii guide if you don't know a lot about the current hacking process.

Then, once hacked, you can launch any homebrew you want.

There's the official website for USBLoaderGX : http://usbloadergx.koureio.net/ or take the AllInOne 249 pack.

You shouldn't really need a guide to use it, almost all options and menus are explicit.
You just have to know how to launch homebrew, and connect a USB HDD (FAT32 or NTFS are both working).
You can either extract the content of the "all ine one" package on your SD card, or use the Installer.

If you need a specific help, read other topics first, there are a lot of detailed information.
If you don't find what you need, ask again here, or if it's about a specific option or setting in the loader, you can post in the main topic.

oRBIT2002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"all the required cios's"?
"usb loader forwarder"?
well I'm a newbie more or less.
smile.gif

EDIT: I've managed to install the HBC now (using the LetterBomb hack). USBLoaderGX asks for some cIOS stuff to be installed... hm.
smile.gif

EDIT #2:
So I've downloaded some "d2x cIOS Installer v2.1", and downloaded the d2x6 cIOSX and unpacked them all to my SD apps/ directory. So, do I dare to try this installer? Is there anything else I should do before trying this?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Consider IOS like the Wii main programs. It contains all instructions for games and console system menu to work with the hardware (NAND access, USB, SD, etc.)
There are different IOS with different set of functions: Some are used for music games to enable access of USB to use microphones and instruments, other IOS may contains Wifi modules, etc.
Each IOS are installed in different Slot number, and loaded when needed (only 1 at a time). Possible slots are from 1 to 255, though current official IOS are installed into the 80 first slots only.

To enable USB access in games instead of using the DVD reader, you will need to modify these IOS files.
Custom IOS (cIOS) contains instruction for accessing USB2.0 HDD, and many more things that official IOS files can't do.
cIOS are installed in slot > 200
There are different cIOS too, each of them doing something different. The main cIOS are : Hermes, Waninkoko, d2x
The "d2x cIOS" is the most complete and the most up to date.

So, you need to install the cIOS required by the homebrew you want to use : USBloader require HDD USB access.
cIOS are installed when following the ModMii instructions to hack your Wii.
Once you've followed ModMii, you don't need to worry about cIOS, they will be all installed as they are "required".

About forwarders:
You have different ways to launch a program/homebrew.
- SD card, from the Homebrew channel.
- Wifi (through another receiving homebrew on the Wii)
- USB (through a special development device, USBgecko)
- Channel: Installed directly on the Wii memory, listed in the Wii menu as a channel. It contains the full program in the channel (like WiiWare games).
- Forwarders channel: Forwarders are Channels installed on the Wii menu, though these kind of channel doesn't contain any real program (no USBloader, no game, etc.). The content of the Forwarder is only a program which load another homebrew located on the SD card or USB drive. It forward to another place. The interest is that you don't have to update/reinstall this channel on the real program update. Just change the program file (boot.dol) located on the SD card and the homebrew is updated.

oRBIT2002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info.

I'm now trying to run the "d2x cIOS Installer v2.1", but haven't got a clue how to configure it. I tried pressing "ok" more or less but it just said "downloading data" and it seemed to take forever so I did something wrong.
smile.gif

I installed the d2xv6 in the modules/ folder in apps/d2x CIOS installer folder on my SD-card.

Hints anyone? Thanks.
smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Version 3 is available, don't use 2.1

Also, if your wii is not already hacked, follow ModMii guide instead of installing things on your own. (except if you have reason to not use it, like you are not on Windows?)

If you really don't want to follow ModMii, don't do things without knowing what you are doing.

If you already have Homebrew channel (which seems to be the case), then yes, you can just run d2x installer, and install that :
what : d2x v6
where : 249
base : 56
version : 21006

and
where : 250
base : 57

oRBIT2002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I obviously really needs a step by step guide for that cIOS installer app. Why can't these clever boys create userfriendly apps with readable help?
smile.gif

I tried the ModMii windows application (running in some kind of DOS environment in 2011?!), but I got some questions I was unsure of what to answer (why does it ask me if I want to download the photo/shopping-channels? I already got those) so the installer app from HBC seemed like a easier choice. Perhaps I was wrong.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Modmii lets you in fact update all the installed things on your wii one by one, but with keeping all the hack.
It download everything in a Wad form, and then you use a wad manager to install it.

if you don't want to update your internals, you can just choose to "create the cIOS", there's a page only for that, then install the cIOS Wad with a wad manager.

Or else, you can run the installer.

I don't think the installer is really hard to use. I never used it, but I guess it should be like this (like every other installer):
- Launch
- If you don't use HBC1.0.7+ with the given .xml file, It will ask you which IOS you want to use to proceed (You remember? Everything need a IOS to get hardware access), select IOS236 if you have it, or IOS222, or IOS249 (you need a cIOS which will grant the installer the ES/NAND access).
- Certainly it will ask you if you want an offline or online installation (Online is Way easier, you don't need anything else. Offline require that you download official IOS from Nintendo servers and place it on your SD card in a specific folder, in a specific format).
- Then the program should ask you what you want to install, select this:
where : 249
base : 56
- Then there's a recap of what will be done, check and accept.
- Wait for the installation to do its magic

oRBIT2002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep I've got wifi and the HBC already installed. My system is running 4.3E.

I understand why companies sell installations of this stuff when it's this complicated assuming you're not 100% into all the techstuff.
smile.gif

How do I know which iOS I have? And why do I need to install the new cIOS into two different locations as mentioned above? The dx Installer mentions that something is already present on one of those two locations btw, do I need to worry?

justjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Don't worry. it will just overwrite it. The cios is installed into two different slots because one will have base 56 and you'll be able to play almost every game with that, but there's a few that will only work with base 57.

oRBIT2002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
justjack said:
Don't worry. it will just overwrite it. The cios is installed into two different slots because one will have base 56 and you'll be able to play almost every game with that, but there's a few that will only work with base 57.

Thanks.

What does this "base"-thing actually means?

Once installed (if I ever manage to do it
smile.gif
), I assume my original discs/WiiWare will still work without issue?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaZWBrG__s