[USB Loader GX] Getting a PAL 576i game to run in 480p (fullscreen)?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by bengalih, May 13, 2017.

1. bengalih
    OP

bengalih Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2009
    United States
    I've got a game for my son:
    "Thomas & Friends - Hero of the Rails"

It is a PAL game - was never released in the US.
    My console is a NTSC console.

Using all the default/global settings in USB Loader GX the game loads however my TV switches into 576i (TV is a 720p Vizio).

The game shows in color, but takes up maybe about 85-90% of the screen (some black borders all around). I also noticed after a few minutes of playing there is a fuzziness to the picture (that may be due to the interlacing?).

I played around with a bunch of the settings and arrived on these:
    - Video Mode: Force PAL60
    - DOL Video Patch: All

With these settings it appears to not switch my video mode (i.e. I don't get a balloon pop-up from my TV, so I assume it is playing at 480p). The video also seems of a higher quality - i.e. I don't see the fuzziness anymore.

The only thing that remains is that the video seems to still only fill about 85-90% of the screen (black borders). I tried to change the aspect ratio setting to 16:9, but that didn't seem to do anything.

It looks like I got my settings right to play the native PAL title in 480p, but why to the borders still exist?

2. bengalih
    OP

bengalih Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2009
    United States
    Ok, I solved this one on my own.

I was a little pre-occupied with the Video Mode setting at first, so once I fixed the "haziness" with the DOL Video patch, I didn't go back and really experiment with the other Video Modes.

Firstly - a correction to my OP. The settings I mention there were playing it in 480i not 480p. I realized that USB Loader GX is in 480i, and I only get pop-ups from my TV if it switches to another mode...so no pop-up meant the game was still in 480i.

By changing the Video Mode to NTSC480p I was able to get it to play in progressive mode. However I still had borders on the right and left sides of the screen.

By changing the Video Mode to NTSC, I was able to remove all borders and get the game full screen. However, it is in 480i in this mode.

So - it doesn't look like I can get it in 480p without any borders at all, but this is really ok for me I think. The borders are slight if I decide to keep it in 480p mode. I think I will keep it in standard NTSC 480i though since I prefer this game to take up the whole screen and I really can't notice the difference.

Hope this helps someone!

3. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    What cable are you using? and how did you configure the tv?

Using a component cable and setting the wii to 480p normally solves all the display mode problems without having to use display mode patches.

4. bengalih
    OP

bengalih Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2009
    United States
    I'm using an HDMI connector (like one of these).
    My Wii is set to HDTV (480p) Widescreen and is connected to a 720p TV.

I don't think your statements are accurate, as I have heard many accounts of having to use patches of one sort or another with out-of-region games regardless of the configuration.

5. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    Maybe it is only when running NTSC games on a PAL wii?

6. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    would this be why games like Resident Evil Remake doesnt run in full screen and has graphical issues