Hacking USB Loader GX and WiiFlow fails to load games from a NTFS partition

akuotoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I have a Wii and it fails to show games from an external drive containing only one NTFS partition. It works just fine with FAT32, but not with this drive that I use for other things as well. I am not going to buy a new drive since that is not an option. USB Loader GX shows no games and WiiFlow says it can't find a partition. WiiExplorer, however, shows the entire content of the drive. If I use WiiFlow, and select FileBrowser, it shows the content of the drive and allows me to play some games, but not all of them. I just installed Hermes CIOS 222/223 v5.1, but no changes. What should I do? Every loader claims to be compatible with NTFS, but it doesn't seem to work.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
then, we don't have any idea what the problem is if you did everything correctly :(

or maybe you didn't, and you'll have to provide more information than "it doesn't work".
nothing "doesn't work". It can't "not work".
it usually have an error text, or a text no an error, something happens (slow detection ? etc.), what do you expect & what do you see instead ? where ? which version of the homebrew ?

In USBLoaderGX, what happen when you boot ? wich IOS slot did you use ? which cIOS base/version?
what happens when you go to HDD menu? what do you see on first option ? what happen when you click on it? ("nothing" is possible here, depends the text you read here)

Which partition table ? which partition ? which size ? Primary, extended, logical ?

Maybe
333970-CrystalBall1.gif

but not with this drive
Oh, crystal ball might have work.
is "this drive" a flash drive? if it's flash it's normal it doesn't work with USBLoaders.
Flash drive works, somehow, not very good, with Wiixplorer or other homebrew.

You said external drive, so we might have wrongly thought you talked about external HDD.
of course, if you plug it to the wii it's an external drive, it's plugged in usb.
You don't want to get another drive, but if it's a flash drive then it's your choice : get or don't get another drive, up to you if you want a compatible one or still hope to use a non compatible device.

Last edited by Cyan,

SSorin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Well..that problem has a pretty easy fix.
Just use a NTFS To FAT32 converter,you won't lose any data,and it takes only 10 minutes(depends on the hard drive)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well..that problem has a pretty easy fix.
Just use a NTFS To FAT32 converter,you won't lose any data,and it takes only 10 minutes(depends on the hard drive)

If you mean using a flash drive that won't fix it, either. d2x cIOS does not even use the filesystem when it's running a game. The loader sends it a list of sectors the game takes up on the HDD. FAT32 is only actually needed for cIOS NAND redirection. It has to be on an MBR/FAT32 drive. It's the cIOS code accessing a flash drive that results in a black screen.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
step by step ? I didn't provide steps to fix your problem, I asked for answers.
but, if it helped you identify the problem that's fine. I would have preferred to know what was your problem because you said you had already done everything correctly, now you say "something" fixed it. I wonder what.

akuotoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
step by step ? I didn't provide steps to fix your problem, I asked for answers.
but, if it helped you identify the problem that's fine. I would have preferred to know what was your problem because you said you had already done everything correctly, now you say "something" fixed it. I wonder what.
I mean the step by step guide you didn't provide so I can answer those questions. "Download this, run it and post the results", "Enter here and write down your version", "Get the partition info from here". Those steps you so kindly provided me. Actually I ended up fixing it by updating my crystal ball to its latest version and applying the harry_potter_wand.wad. You were really helpful, thanks.

Last edited by akuotoko,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn