Hacking USB Loader Drive Compatibility

Alexrose

Untitled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm wondering whether to purchase a 250gb external hard drive for £30.

Seems a great deal but is there any requirement to be compatible with Waninkoko's loader? Is NTFS compatible etc. etc.? This way I can make GH custom isos without wasting discs.

Here's the spec:

Disk Capacity 250GB
Disk Speed 7200RPM
Interface Interface Type(s) FireWire/USB 2.0
USB 2.0 Cable 60MB/s
Firewire Cable 800 50MB/s
Enclosure type External
In The Box Iomega 250GB Desktop USB/FireWire Hard Drive, USB Cable, FireWire Cable (1394a), Power Supply, Quick Installation Guide, Start Up welcome kit including Iomega Automatic Backup Pro software, Dantz Retrospect for MAC and MusicMatch Jukebox (PC)
Dimensions 12.1cm (W) x 19.7cm (D) x 4.1cm (H) - Weight 0.909kg

"

* Preformatted for simple set up
* Plug and play and hot swappable, no need to shut down
* Fast 7200 RPM for better performance
* Built-in stand to store drive on its side
* Stack multiple drives to easily add capacity
* Backup instantly with Touch-free Iomega Automatic Backup Pro (software included)
* Complete disaster recovery software included

"

Is this suitable?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Try to find out if that drive has a sleepmode (and if there is one, if you can turn it off)
drives going into sleepmode after several minutes of no activity seem to be causing problems with the loader

Alexrose

Untitled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't find anything written about sleepmode on their website or other sites. I asked on their forums but it looks highly inactive.

If there is one, is it likely that the software it comes with will allow you to deactivate it?

Also, other than the sleepmode issue, are there any other requirements for it to work with my wii? e.g. does it have to be formatted in FAT or can it be NTFS, are all drives compatible with wii, etc.?

Thanks a lot.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alexrose said:
I can't find anything written about sleepmode on their website or other sites. I asked on their forums but it looks highly inactive.

If there is one, is it likely that the software it comes with will allow you to deactivate it?

Also, other than the sleepmode issue, are there any other requirements for it to work with my wii? e.g. does it have to be formatted in FAT or can it be NTFS, are all drives compatible with wii, etc.?

Thanks a lot.

Some drives do come with software that can set sleepmode to 'never'.
The loader has its own filesystem, so it has to be formatted into that.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The drive not being on the list doesn't really mean anything yet. It just means it hasn't been tested yet.
A lot of drives work, but a select few seem to have problems.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Alexrose said:
It's not on the list. :/

Are most drives compatible?

no way to tell than except buy it and cross your fingers if it works/doesn't than add it to list. if you don't want to take the risk than pick 1 from the list that has been confirmed to work.

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was looking at getting a new 250gb external just for the Wii but everywhere put the price up.... about a day or two after the USB loader came out.... hmmmm!! Conspiracy?
wink.gif

Anyway, where are you getting the drive from for 30 quid? That seems like a good price to me! Could you let me know... cheers
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol