1. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

This just started a few days ago I have a usb hub that will stay on when my Laptop is turned completely off not sleep or hibernate mode but turned off. I use an app called usbdeview and it can see all the devices connected through usb and I can even run autohotkey scripts to manage the devices and turn them off and on but I have tried everything and the usb hub won't turn off and it has several things I want to keep plugged into it that I don't want running 24/7. Any ideas?

thanks

I kinow I can just unplug it, but I'm hoping to keep it plugged in.

Last edited Aug 27, 2020
  2. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

I did google where someone posted this

I think this is not an hardware issue, it's an OS setting. You don't need to make BIOS changes. I think you can solve this in 2 steps:

1 - Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Change Settings Scheme > Change Advanced Power Settings > USB Settings > and deactivate Selective Suspension;

2 - Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose What Power Buttons Do > Activate Settings Currentlly Unavailable > scroll down to Shutdown Settings > disable Activate Fast Start.

That should solve your problem. It did for me ;-)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...shutdown/5a97d8d6-49d7-4537-a76d-7bb219aeb8d1

And I did these already and it did not help.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    This is almost assuredly a BIOS thing, but you can try turning off Fast Startup in Power Settings and see if that fixes it as well.

If not, then boot into BIOS and check for any setting related to keeping USB ports powered when off/standby. This can be called a few different things, like ERP or USB Power delivery and other fairly similar terms.

EDIT: Whoops, had this tab open before you posted again so missed the second post which you tried already.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo, Aug 27, 2020
    Deleted User likes this.
  4. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

I was pretty sure that would fix it but there wasn't anything in the bios only wake from usb and it was already disabled.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    What laptop model is it?

6. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

Acer Nitro 5

7. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    Do you still happen to have any Acer software installed? There should be either a "Quick Access" or a USB Charge Manager program that's preinstalled, if either are there check those for an option to disable it. If not, grab them from Acer's site for your model.

If not, unfortunately it may not be possible to turn the feature off, which is odd as I've never seen any PC that didn't at least have a BIOS option somewhere :unsure:

8. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

I searched for Quick Access and found it, sure enough it has Power-Off USB Charging on. I was about to post "problem solved" but decided to try it first, and yet somehow the hub is still on.

This is the only page in Bios that has anything relevant about usb the rest is about boot mode. USB Wake from S4 Support looks like the only option that could help but it's already disabled.

[​IMG]

So I guess I'm screwed.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Reviewer

United States
    What's in the advanced tab? Just 3 options or a nice selection of menus?

Doing some checking, I do see some Acer laptops do have this feature enabled and un-toggleable by default for some reason. Some people have been able to access these toggles in the BIOS, but you need to flash a modified BIOS (which I wouldn't recommend if you're not very tech savvy) to do that, which at that point I'd honestly just unplug the hub

10. Deleted User

OP Deleted User Newbie

Thanks for all the help I found sort of a workaround. I have two usb hubs (yes I have a lot of things hooked up) one usb 3.0 and one usb 2.0, the 3.0 would power off while the 2.0 would not. So I just tried plugging the 2.0 into the 3.0 and everything powers off when shutting off the computer.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - turning, laptop, power