USB HDD loading

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by djricekcn, Dec 27, 2009.

Dec 27, 2009

USB HDD loading by djricekcn at 10:55 PM (933 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. djricekcn
    OP

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So I heard Xbox360 finally can load games off a USB HDD or a non Microsoft sata 2.5 HDD, but the question is how do I do this and how do I install this freeboot or xbreboot thing? I'm trying to find information on it but I can't seem to find a concrete info. Also, is there one where I don't need soldering skills and so on? I am planning to use this on my launch Xbox360 which has a DVD Drive that is near dead (sometimes the doors itself wont' shut right). also, can i replace the DVD drive somehow as well?

thanks

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It can be used on all models but it needs the second bootloader to not be updated to the one that came with the August the 11th 2009 update.
    That is to say if you have done the August the 11th update you are out of luck and if you have a 360 built around the same time period or that saw a return to a repair shop around then the same probably applies.

Soldering: no trace cutting/desoldering is necessary which is nice but thus far nobody has developed a solder free method, some people have toyed with the idea of conductive putty or a clip on chip but frankly most people who do this can already solder or can pester someone who can.

freeboot or xbreboot. Freeboot is probably better but not by enough to matter and requires a cygnos chip (about $70 and maybe more and will require some skill with a soldering iron) while xbreboot works for all models now (a 512 version was released the other day).
    Either way first you need to hack your 360 for homebrew (xell: http://www.free60.org/Main_Page ) which gains you the necessary info to install either freeboot or xbreboot (each of their NFOs has relevant data) and once those is installed you gain a hacked dash and you can then use one of the various loaders like viper360 or XeXLoader.

As for the DVD drive first the eject problem is often a problem with the little rubber band/ring inside the drive that slips which you can either tighten or replace.
    As for straight up replacement it is possible but you will first need to dump the keys, if it is the same model then it is easy enough but for a different model you will also need to remember to spoof the drive as something else. Modern tools like jungleflasher or firmtool will do this automatically though.

3. djricekcn
    OP

United States
    I don't really know anyone (at least locally) that is into gaming and don't know where I can go to get these services done. I've tried looking at Craig's List local, but I still only see offers for flash DVD drive. Do you know of a place where I can get this service done? I'm really looking forward to have my Xbox360 revived.

As for the DVD Drive, it appears both the door and the laser (or it might be the motor itself) is dying. Any information is greatly appreciated. Side note: Is the HDD loading off a USB HDD or a 2.5 HDD replaced in the Xbox360 HDD enclosure? If the latter, what tools would I need to transfer files from PC to HDD without reopening the case?

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Just to make it perfectly clear DVD drive flashing is identical to DVD drive replacement in terms of method used and tools needed. If the person says they can not do it walk away as they clearly do not have a clue. It is not that hard to do either.

Homebrew hacking: I figure if I can not do a hack myself there is no point in doing it so I do not know anywhere.

Hard drive loader: both as far as I am aware (the idea is to load it from wherever the 360 can get at).
    As you asked though the 360 hard drive is a 2.5 inch sata drive and nothing more.
    The rebooter apps allow you to stick any drive of any size in there while stock 360s can use third party drives but only certain sizes and models and it requires you to read a guide or two to make them at first.
    As you do not want to crack the case open every time though there are apps and homebrew does afford a measure of access to the drive beyond that which is normally seen (if you ever saw the original xbox it is not quite at FTP levels like we saw there but it is heading that way).
    Tools include Datel XSATA and XPORT, the MS Xbox 360 HDD Transfer Kit Cable itself, some of the mod kit tools teams make devices for it and you can also mod the case to include a sata cable.

5. djricekcn
    OP

United States
    I've searched around but doesn't look like I am able to do this, kind of sad =( don't really understand some of the words they use and I don't have things like the LPI port =( if anyone knows a shop that sells Xbox 360 with the service, let me know.

6. djricekcn
    OP

United States
    I found a Xbox360 Halo Edition that has never been opened, does that one work? Not sure when Halo 3 edition came out, Halo 3 too for that matter.

7. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Amazon has it as Release Date: 26 Sep 2007

Chances are it will have a Falcon motherboard and will probably not have a liteon drive although if you are going down the homebrew route you should be able to dump the keys from the motherboard even if it was.

Personally even if you are not going to do homebrew I would probably grab it and sit on it. It is still possible to find them now but come a few months when they get a bit more rare then you could probably make a tidy profit.