kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

m contemplating getting an external USB drive for my pc. Am i right in thinking that if i put mp3s and stuff on it, and plug it into the USB of the 360 it will read them? I know the USB drive is no good for Xboxlive stuff and saves etc but just wondered what i can do? I have a fair few HDWMV's on Dual layers that read in my 360, will they read from a usb hard drive and play through the 360 as well? It would save on expensive Verbs if so!?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not sure about the movies, but I know you can play music off it. I'm not sure though if m$ was banning people for connecting up usb harddrives.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it'll work with a NTFS formatted hard drive at the very least. My 360 could only read my ipod as an.. ipod and not an external. Also it could read my psp's memory sitck and it's contents.

Though I'd like to know if a FAT32 formatted external would work.
And if xvid/divx works though it.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AFAIK FAT32 will work, NTFS I know doesn't.
XVID currently isn't supported but is rumoured to be added in the new firmware update (makes sense since Sony are adding it).
If the WMV's work from a DVD they should work from an external HDD.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to play an AVI file from a USB flash drive, but it wouldn't show up.

AVI is like the most standard of all video formats, but is it not supported?

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
The new 360 firmware comes out on 4 December so it'll be interesting to see what sort of increased video/audio/harddrive support they add if any.

Divx support pretty please
tongue.gif

That would make my 360 a lot more useful
happy.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I tried to play an AVI file from a USB flash drive, but it wouldn't show up.

AVI is like the most standard of all video formats, but is it not supported?

I found this on a webpage about the spring '07 update, so currently the 360 only supports.

QUOTEWhat exactly does the Xbox 360 support for H.264?

Xbox 360 supports the following for H.264:
·Â Â Â Â File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
·Â Â Â Â Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
·Â Â Â Â Video Profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to Level 4.1) profiles.
·Â Â Â Â Video Bitrate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See question number 6 for more information.
·Â Â Â Â Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
·Â Â Â Â Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 6 for more information.

What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for MPEG-4 Part 2?

Xbox 360 supports the following for MPEG-4:
·Â Â Â Â File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .mov
·Â Â Â Â Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
·Â Â Â Â Video Profiles: Simple (including Simple profile content mislabeled as Advanced Simple)
·Â Â Â Â Video Bitrate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30fps. See question number 6 for more information.
·Â Â Â Â Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
·Â Â Â Â Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 6 for more information.

What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for WMV (VC-1)?

Xbox 360 supports the following for WMV:
·Â Â Â Â File Extensions: .wmv
·Â Â Â Â Container: asf
·Â Â Â Â Video Profiles: WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in simple, main, and advanced up to Level 3
·Â Â Â Â Video Bitrate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See question number 6 for more information.
·Â Â Â Â Audio Profiles: WMA7/8, WMA 9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA lossless

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SO, is there any way to add a non official HDD or not?

Do you mean a non official to use for game saves and downloaded content?. You can do it , but it's not like on the original xbox.

You need a western digital scorpio drive (nothing else will work) + you need a the hdd security sector (hddss.bin). Then use this program here http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=601813

To make the info of the western digital drive change to match what is stored on the security sector. No custom sizes , you can only have 20GB or 120GB. You have to get the correct hddss file for what you want. 120GB drives needs one from a 120GB hdd , 20GB needs one from the 20GB drive. Drive can be bigger than what you want to use , so to make a 20GB any scorpio that is 20GB+ will work , same with the 120GB , making that any drive 120GB+ will work , but you will only be able to use 20GB and 120GB.

If just for media , then you can just use a usb hdd.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things