USB h/d causes lots of interference on screen

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by paul3100, Apr 29, 2009.

Apr 29, 2009
  1. paul3100
    OP

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Hi all gba tempers

So my problem is that since i started to use my h/d enclosure setup on my wii to run games it causes quite a lot of very noticable interference which runs in lines across the tv screen.

My setup is as said 1) hard drive + enclosure and now using Component AV cable which does give better picture but still getting some/most of that interference!. And using the new Component AV cable with the usb h/d causes the screen to looses signal from time to time when loading games mostly.

So does anyone else get any interference on screen using a usb hard drive with ot without enclosure? and if so what cable does your wii use to hookup to the wii?

Finally any ideas on a fix apart from not using the h/d in the first place! , i thought the h/d was too close to the wii so moved it quite a bit away but no difference ,also tried using usb cable with better sheilding but still no good.

So what else can be done?

cheers , paul

2. Commadore64

Member Commadore64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Does the problem go away when the drive is off?
    Does the problem go away when the USB cable is disconnected (drive still on)?
    Does the problem go away if you plug your drive into a totally different wall socket than the Wii is connected to?

*I am thinking you got a cheap case for the external drive or bad ground somewhere

3. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    caused by both i had a cheap case with a bad ground it it made my tv pulsate basicaly threw it out in the end it just wasnt worth it

4. paul3100
    OP

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Yes!

Now i wouldn't say £20 was cheap cheap and the h/d inside is actualy a 160 gig ex sky+ h/d , + i have the best usb cable connected but still SH*T pic... I should also say when using Component cable i can lose the signal completly for a second or two when it seems to be loading data!

So you both think either cheap case or bad ground OR both! so can it be sorted without buying a new h/d enclosure? cause i bought two of them....

paul

5. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Is the switch mode psu making a funny noise? listen to it if there are any crackles or loud whines it is faulty. Is it a new hard drive or old one possibly that is pulling too much power for the supply?? have you tried swapping psu from the other kit? have you tried another hard drive in the enclosure?

6. jy2

Newcomer jy2 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Definately sounds like interference from the power supply!

I use a WD Passport drive here that is powered only via USB and it works great with no interference! Perhaps try and place the AC adapter as far as physically possible away from your Wii and see if that makes a difference?

Oh, and as for £20 being cheap/expensive? That depends entirely on how much markup your supplier chucked on!

7. Commadore64

Member Commadore64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Best test is to borrow another external drive and plug it in
    If it is a clear picture then it proves it is that drive...then you need to determine if it is a cheap case or bad ground

8. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I have the same issue. I tend to get minor audio distortion aswell (unclear or whiney sounding).

My HDD case seems kinda cheap, and i know that the HDD itself is very old.

But, it could just be a problem with the power supply eh?

9. olliepop2000

United Kingdom
    let us know how you got on

10. XioN2kx

Newcomer XioN2kx Newbie

United Kingdom
    I wouldnt use a CE HDD (sky+ etc) for the wii as the power it needs is probably more than the enclosure delivers and the drives are hard coded to sleep at any given opportunity, as the wii currently wont pull a drive out of sleep its a buggy solution, get a WD caviar or similar, or better still a usb powered drive.
    What might be at fault, although it's a long shot is magnetic interference, try move that drive further away, otherwise it could be a bad earth, I've got an icybox case (not for the wii) and when thats off it'll give me a jolt sometimes.

11. Daminite

Newcomer Daminite Advanced Member

United States
    i'm looking at one of these will this enclosure work ok?

i dont have a wii yet(saving up). but i'm hoping that by the time i do i'll ether be able to get a 3.4 or there will be a new hack for the 4.0

12. olliepop2000

United Kingdom
    What is the point in 1TB seriously, you would run out of memory blocks for the save games lol and who needs space for like 700 games unless you were partitioning it and adding loads of movies.

P.S. That question is in the wrong thread.

13. Daminite

Newcomer Daminite Advanced Member

United States
    the 1tb would be going in something else i've got an older 300gb wd that would be in the enclosure. i didnt think thik the hard drive really mattered, i just wanted to know if the enclosure caused interference?

14. olliepop2000

United Kingdom
    As long as the PSU is ok it shouldn't be a problem, I have had cheap ones fail early though. Old HDDs tend to pull a lot more current than new ones just use the lowest amperage one you have. It isn't a grounding problem as there is no earth connection on the enclosures. They are double insulated so don't require it. The lines on the screen are more than likely a noisy/faulty PSU.

15. Captin

Newcomer Captin Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I've had this problem too. It's caused by a cheap power supply, the ones where you have a power brick with a lead on each side. I switched to a proper external hard drive (seagate) with a plug in the wall adapter and it's fine.

Dont assume that if you pay a lot of money you will get better quality, my first caddy (without drive) was over £40. try to avoide anything from ebay as they all ship with real crappy chinese power supplies. Besides when you add the postage on it's normally cheaper at Play.com or amazon.