USB Gecko discontinued, better WiiRD support in usb loaders?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Kira99, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Kira99
    OP

Newcomer Kira99 Advanced Member

Canada
    I haven't been following what's been going on for a few months now, I've been to busy finishing University (just finished last course!)

I read on WiiBrew that USB Gecko has been discontinued and the schematics released on Google code. Apparently Gecko OS's source code is also on Google code as well.

Does this mean that the WiiRD code support in USB loaders will get better? Alot of the codes have not worked in my experience.

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the usb gecko support is the exact same in usb loaders as it is in disc based games. you just need to make sure that the code handler is in memory before the game is booted. in usb loader GX we do this if a gecko is found in slot b or if ocarina is enabled. then only other variable is the hooktype. we always use the same one. just start a game and then start wiird and it will hook.

im not sure how other loaders handle it, but as long as ocarina is turned on, you will ensure that the code handler is loaded and be good to go.

3. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Actually, as far as I know, there's only one Loader with the newest Gecko Code Handler (the one that supports Bralw+), and that's Neogamma Beta8 r15. Maybe GX has it also integrated, but I don't know, I'm not following this Loader anymore...

And what do you mean with better? I never had a problem with Cheats and the Code Handler....

4. Kira99
    OP

Canada
    I use GX. I've had problems with codes not working or freezing the game. For example Muramasa wiird codes freeze at start of game.

This is what I usually do. I use either of the 2 homebrew cheat code selecters to create that .gct file.

I recently have been using the code selector in GX, and I believe I've had codes not work fully too.

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    if you have a usb gecko, just start the game with no codes. then you can upload codes once the game is running. thats how i do it and i never have any issues with it.

6. Kira99
    OP

Canada
    No, I don't have a usb gecko, and since it was discontinued and the source was released, I was wondering if usb loader code support would get better.

I believe GX uses only an Ocarina code engine, which is why most WiiRD codes freeze or don't work.

7. Kira99
    OP

Canada
    Does anyone know or experience the same thing?

I'm not using a usb gecko, I'm using the Ocarina cheat engine within USBLoader GX.

8. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Just because it doesn't work with GX doesn't mean it won't work on other loaders...try CFG-Loader, for example. If it works there, it's GX fault. If it also won't work there, it's a basic issue.

Again: I've never had a problem with Cheats (I use CFG-Loader), at least not with the ones from geckocodes.org (including newer ones). And if I would have a problem, it would be the Cheat which is causing this, and not the Loader.