~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
Fairytale said:
gonna get one too. finally gonna be able to hack my own codes.
I really hate that when people have the equipment to do something they think that they have the ability to do it.

You have a computer, so why haven't you written an entire operating system yet?
becuase you have windows, mac osx or linux, so why do we need another

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Gosh, guys, can't you just get along?

I'm gonna state this again, as I already did in the DIOS-MIOS thread. Whoever starts flaming again, is gonna get warned. Ok?
there seems to be a common denominator to all these flareups, and last i checked, that common denominator had committed precisely zero lines of wii-related code to this community.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
Fairytale said:
I really hate that when people have the equipment to do something they think that they have the ability to do it.

Yes this always confuses me too, how people think they will magically be able to create codes the instant they get a USB Gecko.

A tip for anyone who thinks this: It doesn't work like that. My advice would be get a program like CheatEngine or ArtMoney for your computer, and start making cheats for PC games. Once you can make cheats fairly well, THEN consider purchasing a USB Gecko.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dter ic said:
Arm the Homeless said:
Fairytale said:

becuase you have windows, mac osx or linux, so why do we need another
It's a hypothetical question.

And we do have much more than those three, by the way.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not into cheats but find it handy for sending GC/Wii dols, screenshots and when beta testing the main reason I got it was it was cheap (£12 posted) and I wanted to try USB-boot.
there's also the ripping feature but most of this stuff can be done easier or quicker using newer apps nowdays

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SFenton said:
Don't these things have screenshot functions or something? That's probably the only reason I'd ever pick one up.
Yeah I believe that through Gecko OS (on Wii/GC) and Wiird (on PC) you can take screenshots, and completely freeze a game, e.g. in the middle of an unpauseable cutscene or whatever.

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
SNEEK has already a screenshot function implemented. Why waste 40 bucks?
Oh, USB Gecko can only take screenshots of games, too.
no, youre all wrong

usbgecko is so much more what you think...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RoboticBuddy said:
So this is like SD Gecko? But with a USB Cable?
Nope. It's a device which plugs into the GC memory card port of the Wii and allows you to get debugging info via a USB cable. Which means hackers can investigate games and write cheats with the help of the device, and also that homebrew developers can find bugs in their applications easier.

And while some of this may be possible with SNEEK (e.g. screenshotting, finding cheats (?)), I reckon its probably easier to have a computer sitting next to your Wii and use a USB Gecko for this sort of thing, rather than using SNEEKs cheat menu. But I could be wrong on that, never tried either.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
lulwut said:
WiiBricker said:
no, youre all wrong

Please dont tell me what an USB Gecko is. I OWN one. And it is true that the USB Gecko can take screenshots, but only in games, no system menu and no homebrew.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The USBGeko's main functionality over other hardware/software is its use as a debugger through the wii. You can set breakpoints, search for values, read the instructions as they are executed etc. If knows how to use a debugger such as gdb, they should have no problem using Wiird to find codes or whatever. I know I spent months trying to find a USBGecko, and made a crap ton of codes within an hour of getting it (had to read the giant code document and look through some of the Ocarina/GeckoOS source to figure out exactly what everything did). On the other hand, I know how to use a debugger and hardware like this (and make an operating system for that matter, but finding Wii codes is much simpler). Honestly, anybody can learn how to make simple codes, there are lots of good tutorials out there that involve only using the search function to find addresses and then setting those addresses with codes. These codes are usually not that interesting. If you want to make cool and interesting codes you will need to have a basic understanding of how computers work (how registers are used, what the call stack is, and a basic understanding of PPC assembly). At the same time, it is very rude to assume that others do not posses these skills. The USBGecko and Wiird are probably not the best places to start learning these things, but that doesn't mean that people can't give it a shot. (Sorry for the rant, it just feels like there is no need for this back and forth bashing of other people).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
lulwut said:
WiiBricker said:
no, youre all wrong

Please dont tell me what an USB Gecko is. I OWN one. And it is true that the USB Gecko can take screenshots, but only in games, no system menu and no homebrew.

Yeah it can do that. It can also do MANY other things, far more useful than that. And I'm pretty sure there is a rebooter hook in Gecko OS to have USB Gecko active in System Menu, are you sure you can't take screenshots there using it?

As for homebrew, you could always make an ISO of it and use a modchip to boot it via Gecko OS...

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
lulwut said:
WiiBricker said:
no, youre all wrong

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
you dont know what a usbgecko does or can do.
it CAN take screenshots of homebrew or system menu if you want
&debugging ofc

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
SifJar said:
WiiBricker said:
lulwut said:
WiiBricker said:
no, youre all wrong

Yeah it can do that. It can also do MANY other things, far more useful than that. And I'm pretty sure there is a rebooter hook in Gecko OS to have USB Gecko active in System Menu, are you sure you can't take screenshots there using it?

As for homebrew, you could always make an ISO of it and use a modchip to boot it via Gecko OS...
I mean it's not possible with an USB Gecko with either WiiRD or Gecko .NET. Sure you can burn an ISO, but who would do that for just a screenshot?
Oh, I was wrong regarding screenshots of the sytemmenu. Yes you can as you said use the rebooter and take screenshots of the systemmenu. But it' not possible with homebrew. There was a discussion regearding it on the WiirD forum. If you dont believe me, ask Link.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Link said:
I rechecked the screenshot code.. it is dumping video registers in the CC000000 memory area.. that's where games built against the Wii/Gamecube SDK store their video data to. Unfortunately libogc does not need to do the same.. if libogc does not store video registers there, WiiRd cannot locate the YV12 picture in memory...

Quote from Link on Wiird forums, suggesting that if you modified the screenshot code to dump the video registers from the CORRECT location in memory for libogc, you could screenshot homebrew. Dunno where that location is, or where the code is that would need modifying, but there it is. I don't see why someone couldn't do this, one of those far more experienced than myself. i.e. in theory it IS possible to screenshot homebrew, just the software doesn't exist for it right now
tongue.gif

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
SifJar said:
Link said:
I rechecked the screenshot code.. it is dumping video registers in the CC000000 memory area.. that's where games built against the Wii/Gamecube SDK store their video data to. Unfortunately libogc does not need to do the same.. if libogc does not store video registers there, WiiRd cannot locate the YV12 picture in memory...

Quote from Link on Wiird forums, suggesting that if you modified the screenshot code to dump the video registers from the CORRECT location in memory for libogc, you could screenshot homebrew. Dunno where that location is, or where the code is that would need modifying, but there it is. I don't see why someone couldn't do this, one of those far more experienced than myself. i.e. in theory it IS possible to screenshot homebrew, just the software doesn't exist for it right now
tongue.gif

Sure, it's possible for great devs (heck, even gc usb loading is possible), but not for common people. The gbatemp user who said, that he might pick up an USB Gecko only because of the screenshot feature is not a dev and he did not expect to have to modify libogc in order to take screenshots of homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...