Hacking USB Gecko as GC Memory card?

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to make a USB Gecko act as a GC memory card? Sorry this has probably been answered before but I can't find it.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The first generation of usb gecko's had a flashrom on the pcb. The second generation that is sold now dosn't seem to have it anymore.
Maybe they are using another pld inside that doesn't need the flashchip anymore?
It wouldn't suprise me that the flashchip in the first generation was used so the device could function as gc memory adapter.

As I told before, this are my personal speculations. A lot of software that was available for the first usb gecko's seems to have vanished as well.
It is sold as a debug adapter, and it works well for that.
You might be able to find some cheap sd gecko's on Ebay, which is probably what you are looking for.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
obcd said:
The first generation of usb gecko's had a flashrom on the pcb. The second generation that is sold now dosn't seem to have it anymore.
Maybe they are using another pld inside that doesn't need the flashchip anymore?
It wouldn't suprise me that the flashchip in the first generation was used so the device could function as gc memory adapter.

As I told before, this are my personal speculations. A lot of software that was available for the first usb gecko's seems to have vanished as well.
It is sold as a debug adapter, and it works well for that.
You might be able to find some cheap sd gecko's on Ebay, which is probably what you are looking for.

If that's true, then the 3rd gen is sold in the moment, USB Gecko SE:
http://www.usbgecko.com/

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The flash memory was there to store programs since the gamecube didn't have NAND. You could put a loader in the flash and a small stub in memory (very similar to the HBC reload stub), then consecutive homebrew programs could be run without requiring an exploit each time.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know that there was a flash memory in the first version.

About using it as a memory card, there's only the "SD gecko+GC Animal crossing" which can do that.
There is no other way to use it as a memory card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs