USB Flash Drive still accessible for a few mins. But then shuts down.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HackGenz, Mar 26, 2016.

1. HackGenz
    OP

HackGenz Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    United States
    I don't understand why when I plug it in to my Wii or PC to install some games, the flash drive itself stops being readable whenever I try to install other games.

2. Clutz450

Clutz450 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2013
    United States
    If you are trying to install games to a USB Thumb drive using USB Loader GX then that is why. It is a known issue with thumb drives that Cyan (one of the creators to USB Loader GX) doesn't know how to fix. USB hard drives don't seem to have this issue. However, thumbs drives work fine for playing games. So if you can somehow get the game onto your USB thumb drive you should be able to play it.

3. Subscriber0101

Subscriber0101 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    USA
    I can't speak about installing games via ULGX because I... don't know anything about that at all :P

But anyway, if you're having problems installing games to your hard drive from your PC, then yes that is an abnormality.

Make sure your USB Stick is formatted with default settings in FAT32 and that you are adding clean rips of the games with Wii Backup Manager.

If you're still getting problems, try using SDFormatter to format your USB Stick. In the past, SDFormatter has done what Windows couldn't do by fixing up my SD/USB.

4. Linkuei

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    Weaks ago i was having this same issue with a sd card with sd card to USB adapter on Wii.

Now i'm using my SD card with an old cell phone with his mass storage connection mode and all works fine!!

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Are you using WBFS partitions? If so, don't. :)

6. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    Buying an SSD instead of a HDD might help you out. It could be your Wii, so maybe first try getting a Y cable and plug both cords into the Wii.