Hacking USB DVD drive with USB Loader GX

TecXero

Technovert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii's internal disc drive has been giving me problems lately. Instead of patching it up, again, I seem to remember some talk a while back of using USB Disc Drives with USB Loader GX. Mostly, I'd use it for backing up my games as I rebuild my collection.

I figured this way would save me trouble in the long run due to the poor quality of the Wii's internal disc drive, even though an external drive is more expensive.

My question is, is USB Loader GX really compatible with backing up real Wii/GC discs from a USB Disc Drive? If so, what are some of the recommended drives? If USB Loader GX isn't capable, is there stable up-to-date software that is?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USBLoaderGX is not compatible (yet?).
But there are patches available on googlecode's issue page submited by a user requested the same thing.
I can't test it as I don't have USB DVD drive.

http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/issues/detail?id=2287

WiiMC seems compatible as the files provided in the issue are from that homebrew.

TecXero

Technovert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thank you. I'll get an USB hub and an USB DVD drive for it. I'll probably look for stand alone software for it, so I don't have to take the time to compile USB Loader GX with those patches and hope it doesn't break anything every time there's a new revision I want to update to. I tend to be a bit lazy.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hub are not working with USBLoaderGX (and cIOS in general).
it works fine only if you use IOS58 for your homebrew.

If you compile a version of the loader which works with external DVD drive, let me know and provide a patch, so I can add it officially to the sources and prevent you from making a new one for each new revision.

TecXero

Technovert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, that's a bit of a problem. I use a wired connection on my Wii due to it not being compatible with my current wireless setup (I could make it compatible, but at a performance hit to my network and bluetooth devices). I might just open it up and fix it up again. It wasn't hard to do last time it had a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on