USB devices working and others not with Wii Backup Launcher?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by StevePaper, Apr 11, 2018.

1. StevePaper
    OP

StevePaper Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2018
    Canada
    Hi, I've been reading and testing and just can't seem to find the right answer.
    On Wii Backup Launcher, I have some USB keys (older and smaller ones) that work, and others (newer or bigger) that don't.
    I do the exact same protocol to format and put games on them.
    Is there different types of USB devices and I just don't know? Like different generations with different technology?
    Is the size of the key an issue?

Thanks for any clue!

2. Dave_Chad

Dave_Chad GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2016
    Not so much a size issue just the wii is picky as hell with what drives it's compatible with. I've modded a ton and found really low compatibility with usb sticks. With hard drives i've found Seagate don't work well a lot of the time and they also struggle with drives that require over 0.7a of power too. Most WD drives i have bought have been 0.55a and worked fine. Toshiba generally 1.0a and very low success rate with those even with a power splitter cable.

3. bostonBC

bostonBC GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 17, 2011
    United States
    Most USB flash drives will not work on the Wii. You may be able to get some to work if you use an SD card to hold the forwarding channel app and the USB for just storage using WBFS.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes, that's what you are saying.
    New drives seems to have issues with the Wii in general, I suspect it's not using the same hardware low level commands to access the drive.
    The Wii (IOS, and cIOS) are using a specific command, and some devices are probably not expecting that one.

Flash in general have a really bad compatibility rate. It's rare to find a working one.
    it works, some people will tell you "flash work, don't tell users they don't!" but, see the failure rate based on people's created thread about flash compatibility.