Hacking USB crashing on BOTW movies

Kiel2040

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have BOTW installed on a 32 GB USB drive, its the only thing in the drive. during game play I only had one or two crashes but when the game plays one of the memories movies I get a USB error screen. Now it's happening with the ending movie so I can't get to have the game finished. Can I just reinstall a new downloaded version of the game in the same USB? Do I have to back up the save or it will be OK?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have BOTW installed on a 32 GB USB drive, its the only thing in the drive. during game play I only had one or two crashes but when the game plays one of the memories movies I get a USB error screen. Now it's happening with the ending movie so I can't get to have the game finished. Can I just reinstall a new downloaded version of the game in the same USB? Do I have to back up the save or it will be OK?

First of all are you on the latest system firmware if not that is your problem the game uses a video codec that is only available on the latest firmware on lower firmware the game crashes when certain videos play.

Secondly just before the game came out nintendo said only to use sysnand or a hdd for playing the game they said the a usb drive is not recommended due to the fact that the game is constantly reading and writing to the storage and USB storage is not designed for constant read and writes so it's possible something could be going wrong with your USB storage device.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be a few different reasons why the game is doing that.

Are you running the latest version (1.3.0/v97) of BOTW?

Also, it could be that your USB Pen drive is not fast enough to read some of the movie files.

I am pretty sure Pen Drives and USB Flash Drives are not recommended to install and play games on. They probably recommend a Hard Drive for just this reason. USB Flash Drives and Pen Drives are very slow when trying to read huge files, such as the game's movie files.

But that is just a best guess, so I could be wrong.

Last edited by TheTechGenius,

Kiel2040

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The drive is 3.0 although the WiiU only works with 2.0 so that makes no difference. I tried to use HDD but the ones I have always end up failing because they don't have a Y cable. Also tried with a SATA to USB case with power adapter and never got to run properly a Game. With USB i only had this problem on BOTW and Hyrule Warriors which sometimes the movies lag but I can just skipthem.
The console is running on 5.5.1 is that the latest? I I update the web luncher for homebrew still works?

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The drive is 3.0 although the WiiU only works with 2.0 so that makes no difference. I tried to use HDD but the ones I have always end up failing because they don't have a Y cable. Also tried with a SATA to USB case with power adapter and never got to run properly a Game. With USB i only had this problem on BOTW and Hyrule Warriors which sometimes the movies lag but I can just skipthem.
The console is running on 5.5.1 is that the latest? I I update the web luncher for homebrew still works?
Yeah, USB 2.0 is pretty slow when we are talking about huge file sizes.

And like the other guy said, USB Devices are not built for constant read and writes. That kind of activity can and will make your USB device fail faster.

Why not buy either a Y Cable for the HDD, or an External SATA power adapter that plugs into the wall and your HDD?

I bought an External SATA power supply years ago to power my X360USB Pro v2 so I could flash Xbox 360 DVD Drives with CFW. And I can tell you, they work.

Kiel2040

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why not buy either a Y Cable for the HDD, or an External SATA power adapter that plugs into the wall and your HDD?

I bought an External SATA power supply years ago to power my X360USB Pro v2 so I could flash Xbox 360 DVD Drives with CFW. And I can tell you, they work.
Tried to buy a Y cable but got no luck around here and shipping costs are more expensive than the cable itself. I still got to try with another hdd on the SATA to USB adapter maybe my old hdd isnt working properly.

Still I'd like to know if I reinstall the game on the USB drive if the save will get overwritten or not

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried to buy a Y cable but got no luck around here and shipping costs are more expensive than the cable itself. I still got to try with another hdd on the SATA to USB adapter maybe my old hdd isnt working properly.

Still I'd like to know if I reinstall the game on the USB drive if the save will get overwritten or not
Why not backup your save with Saviine, then format the entire drive, download and install BOTW to the drive again, then transfer your save back to the drive using Saviine.

That's what I would try anyway.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Saviine the only way? Tried to use it and cant undestand how it works properly.
Dumping Saves with Saviine -

In the Saviine folder on your PC, where Saviine_server.exe is located, Hold down Shift and while you have Shift held down, Right Click in the folder where the Saviine exe is located. Then choose the option "Open Command Window here" in the right-click context menu.

In the command window type:

saviine_server.exe dump

And press enter

Then Saviine will listen for any tcp Saviine connections coming from your WiiU.

Then open another command window, and type:

ipconfig

Press enter and write down your local IP.

Now on your WiiU launch the Saviine Homebrew app, and use the D-Pad to input your Local IP that you wrote down.

Then press the button that says something like "Launch Saviine and go back to main menu".

Then launch BOTW.

On your PC it will ask you to save the dump, just press OK. And it will save your saves under Dump on your PC.

Then to inject your save back to the WiiU, you Just have to put the folder that is in the Dump folder, in the inject folder. The folder will be like this "0000000000-0000000000", but not all zeroes, that's just an example. You have to put that folder in the inject folder.

Then you do the same exact thing to inject the game, but you have to run Saviine on your PC with the inject command, like this:

saviine_server.exe inject

Then Saviine will be running in inject mode. Everything else is the same.

-------------------------------------------

It may seem like a lot of work because it's a lot of words. But it's really not. After you know how Saviine works, it's really easy, fast, and very stable. I've been using Saviine about every other day with modding my BOTW saves from different WiiU accounts, and I have never had any problems using Saviine. Not even one.

I even have another DS Haxchi game installed with a custom image and modified to launch Saviine by default. So i don't have to launch homebrew launcher channel to load up Saviine anymore. That's how much I use Saviine. Lol

Last edited by TheTechGenius,

KevinLSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flash drive is dead. Dump save with saviine. Get a hdd with y power cable. Install game to hdd. Import save to hdd with saviine.

Same thing happened to me not to long ago. Dump your save before it gets corrupted.

Kiel2040

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Dumping Saves with Saviine -

In the Saviine folder on your PC, where Saviine_server.exe is located, Hold down Shift and while you have Shift held down, Right Click in the folder where the Saviine exe is located. Then choose the option "Open Command Window here" in the right-click context menu.

In the command window type:

saviine_server.exe dump

And press enter

Then Saviine will listen for any tcp Saviine connections coming from your WiiU.

Then open another command window, and type:

ipconfig

Press enter and write down your local IP.

Now on your WiiU launch the Saviine Homebrew app, and use the D-Pad to input your Local IP that you wrote down.

Then press the button that says something like "Launch Saviine and go back to main menu".

Then launch BOTW.

On your PC it will ask you to save the dump, just press OK. And it will save your saves under Dump on your PC.

Then to inject your save back to the WiiU, you Just have to put the folder that is in the Dump folder, in the inject folder. The folder will be like this "0000000000-0000000000", but not all zeroes, that's just an example. You have to put that folder in the inject folder.

Then you do the same exact thing to inject the game, but you have to run Saviine on your PC with the inject command, like this:

saviine_server.exe inject

Then Saviine will be running in inject mode. Everything else is the same.

-------------------------------------------

It may seem like a lot of work because it's a lot of words. But it's really not. After you know how Saviine works, it's really easy, fast, and very stable. I've been using Saviine about every other day with modding my BOTW saves from different WiiU accounts, and I have never had any problems using Saviine. Not even one.

I even have another DS Haxchi game installed with a custom image and modified to launch Saviine by default. So i don't have to launch homebrew launcher channel to load up Saviine anymore. That's how much I use Saviine. Lol

This explanation should be in the Saviine thread, totaly working now. Will try to get anoter hdd to try again with a power cable, at leat now i have a back for the save.

Reactions: TheTechGenius

Kiel2040

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So to update on things, after dumping all my saves I formated the usb drive and reinstalled BOTW with the last update and injected my save. Killed ganon and all movies worked fine. So seems like the movie files got corrupted while i played the game, but a format and reinstall at least for now works.

Reactions: TheTechGenius

KevinLSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a hdd. This has happened to me botw and usings flash drive. Its working now but before you know it, the save/game will get corrupted. Flashdrives arnt meant be read/written constantly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: