Hacking USB 3.0??

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, I found a usb 3.0 hdd here. I didn't think they finished up the standard but it looks like there are allready have $7 usb 3.0 cables too

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea but you will probably need a hardware mod for usb 3 because I think it has 6 wires 8 wires instead of the usual 4.
chaseincats said:
usb 1 to usb 2
it is from 1.1 to 2.0

chaseincats

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ya, but wondering how thats possible

i mean nintendo built a 1.1 usb controller

with some magic software it becomes 2.0

could someone explain to me how that happens and why it cant be the same for 3.0?

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
chaseincats said:

could someone explain to me how that happens and why it cant be the same for 3.0?

The hardware of the wii is USB 2.0. They included 1.1 drivers in the wii software/IOS. cIOS 202/222/249 are using an EHCI module to forward USB messages to 2.0 calls or something like that. Technically speaking, I don't know what I'm talking about, but it's something like that.
tongue.gif

chaseincats

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darkmystery said:
chaseincats said:

The hardware of the wii is USB 2.0. They included 1.1 drivers in the wii software/IOS. cIOS 202/222/249 are using an EHCI module to forward USB messages to 2.0 calls or something like that. Technically speaking, I don't know what I'm talking about, but it's something like that.
tongue.gif

interesting, any idea why they did that?

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
chaseincats said:

Possibly because when the Wii was designed the USB 2.0 standard wasn't fully ratified - the hardware was there, but still choices had to be made about how it operated - so send it out as 1.1 on 2.0 capable hardware. Then a simple update to give 2.0 operation.

They could have put it out as a USB 2.0 draft device, advertised it as such and then had a raft of CS calls and bad press when Nintendo USB 2.0 draft didn't work with USB 2.0 draft.

chaseincats

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hunnymonster said:
chaseincats said:

Possibly because when the Wii was designed the USB 2.0 standard wasn't fully ratified - the hardware was there, but still choices had to be made about how it operated - so send it out as 1.1 on 2.0 capable hardware. Then a simple update to give 2.0 operation.

They could have put it out as a USB 2.0 draft device, advertised it as such and then had a raft of CS calls and bad press when Nintendo USB 2.0 draft didn't work with USB 2.0 draft.

what do you mean?

we have had usb 2.0 stuff for nigh 8 years

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
how do i find out if my computer has 3.0 on it?

My usb 3.0 ports are blue and have USB 3.0 written between the two ports as opposed to the normal usb symbol next to it. Not sure if that's like a standard or anything though. Only have 2 of those ports as opposed to the 8 regular usb 2.0 ports in it.

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
chaseincats said:
what do you mean?

we have had usb 2.0 stuff for nigh 8 years

Then more likely that big N foresaw no need for anything beyond USB 1.1 at launch and pushed out a subsequent update when they did have a need.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1