Hardware USB 3.0 Card- readers or stick on USB 2.0

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd get a USB3 one nowadays just so when you get a computer with USB3 ports you don't have to get a new reader to benefit from the potential speed increase.

But no harm getting one over the other, really. Personally I'd likely just get a USB2 one because they're inexpensive. Not sure of the price on USB3 ones yet.

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I need a new SD card reader, should i go for an USB 3.0 card-reader are does it not matter if i take an USB 2.0 one?

Thanks

Well, USB 3.0 will obviously give you better read/write speeds and if you have the Ultra or the Extreme cards, then a USB 3.0 card reader will really help. Otherwise, no.

Also, you need to check the prices too. Am not sure about Belgium (that's what your flag says), but currently in India USB 3.0 card readers are really costly and am just gonna use my 2.0 reader for now and get a 3.0 one when the prices come down.

Am talking about BRANDED USB 3.0 card readers like Transcend, SanDisk, Anker, etc., and NOT the shitty cheap chinese ones. Definitely stay away from those :)

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the info :)
I have Ultra and Extreme SD carrs and i'm talking about branded usb 3.0 readers, just not checking prices yet, first i want some info before i go out and buy one :)

It will mainly be used for making a monthly diskimage backup on windows from my Rpi2 MicroSD (32GB Sandisk Ultra)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
These days both are inexpensive (at least in uk markets) so it only makes sense to go for a USB3 one. Backwards compatible with USB2, but gives faster speeds in supported devices. However I can't speak for other markets, so it's really a matter of checking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario