USA: are you better off than a year ago?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Costello, Jan 11, 2018.

?
  1. Yes (explain why)

26 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. No (explain why)

20 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. Not better, not worse (explain why)

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. I'm not a US citizen but I want to vote in the poll anyway

46 vote(s)
    42.2%
  1. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Which would cost thousands of S. Korean lives still before the missiles hit. N. Korea has guns pointed at several areas of S. Korea.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  2. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    I think you’re missing my point here. Basically I’m saying that if any nuclear attack occurs from any government, the entire planet will glow in a matter of hours. We’re all fucked.

Xzi and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I love how no one learned anything from the 80s

Xzi, B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and brickmii82 like this.
  4. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    It really actually isn't. I could care less what they wear, what I was originally trying to get across is the point that when women wear outfits like that, then they are objectifying themselves, and they really don't have a right to be disgusted with men who go crazy over them. Personally, I like it when they leave things to the imagination.

It is probably the way I am raised, as well as my religion. I just don't get the mindset that most have.

5. brickmii82

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Or Fallout games...

Xzi, Noctosphere and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  6. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Personally I'm a Canadian citizen, so this isn't really affecting me.
    Seeing how people are going crazy makes me worry about what political party I may vote, that may make me keep my friends.

7. brickmii82

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    If they’re worth keeping around, they’ll continue to be your friend. You’re not a dick about politics, but if they stop talking to you over them, they certainly are...

8. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N オンライン翻訳者が悪い

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    Yeah. Honestly, they'd have to be pretty petty to break relations just because of a difference in political views.

People should vote for candidates based on whether or not they're qualified for the position, in addition to whether or not their views align. This is very important for any democracy or republic.

9. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I disagree, there are very definitely political alignments that can and should end friendships if they are not worked out. As an example, two childhood friends, but one is a closeted gay and the other is a very religious conservative that has on multiple occasions stated that gays should go to hell

Xzi likes this.
  10. brickmii82

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    That’s less of a political view and more of a religious one though.

ThisIsDaAccount, Xzi and Memoir like this.
  11. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Far away from my kitty named Zelda :'(
    I hope you know, with how its going right now, trump will crash canadian economy

12. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's unfortunately all bled together at this point, your religious views tend to dictate how you vote. Methinks more than a few preachers/holy men are talking politics from the pulpit.

13. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Do you have any evidence to back up this statement?

14. brickmii82

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, it’s a power grab by professing support of a popular ideology by politicians.

Xzi likes this.
  15. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Should probably look at the GWB crash to see how that affected Canada. I don't doubt that Canada and America are quite intertwined economically, though.

brickmii82 likes this.
  16. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N オンライン翻訳者が悪い

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    Key phrase: if they're not worked out. You should at least try to work these disputes out, or at least have an honest conversation about the topic. Far too many times, people fight frantically over topics without stopping to consider the other side's point of view. Maybe, in the example you gave, the closeted gay could give the conservative a lesson in how not all gay men are evil (though, I'll be honest, given how people seem to take every belief as a core value worth fighting to the death for, I sincerely doubt it).

The other day, I saw a donation ad from an organization aiming to keep church and state separate, noting the increasing mix between the two in modern American politics. While their ideals are commendable, the fact such an organization has to exist in America, the country founded on the separation of Church and State, of all places is depressing.

TotalInsanity4, brickmii82 and Xzi like this.
  17. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Was that the 2008 crash? If I recall correctly, it did affect us to some points.
    If another sort of economy crisis happens, then yes, I think it would affect us.
    But destroy the Canadian economy, as Noctosphere said? I doubt so.

Xzi likes this.
  18. brickmii82

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Idk, the economy has been on the rebound for awhile now. The only way I see it crashing is imo, a failure on President Obama’s part. Wall St was never really dealt with over the housing crisis and mishandling/manipulation of investments. The same factors are still there aside from most of the bad lending practices. But you can still buy CDO’s and synthetic CDO’s, and who knows if their credit ratings are being manipulated again. They’re called Bespoke Tranche Opportunities now. Without the reinstatement of Glass-Steagal, commercial banks are at risk of failure due to bad investments.

19. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Trump is following the GWB pattern, just in a different order. First came the deregulation of various markets and tear-down of regulatory agencies, then the massive tax cut for the corporate class. All we need is two wars to complete the exact same perfect shitstorm that caused the crash in 2008. I'm banking on it, actually. Gonna wait until it feels closer then short some stocks. After the crash gonna buy up everything real cheap.

20. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I mean, the far right (ultra conservative, alt-right, neo-nazis, whatever you want to call them) have basically built a stable platform entirely based on rejection and expulsion of homosexuals, brown immigrants, and non-Christians. I'd say that at least in the current time, it's absolutely a political issue, even though I also heartily would agree that it shouldn't be (nor should it be something that needs to be debated, honestly. Literally if you fail the most basic human decency test of "let others do what they want as long as nobody's getting hurt," you should probably just live on an island by yourself)

VinsCool, brickmii82 and Xzi like this.