US legislation requires new games' communication aspects to be accessible to those with disabilities

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    Meh, if it will be limited to communication options then it's fine. Surely it's another gateway for insane people to censorship games and that's bad, but the law on itself is actualy reasonable. On the bright side maybe we'll get more online games with limited/non-existing communication systems so annoying 10yo kiddos writing to you that they fucked your mama and you're a radert will be not a thing anymore.

Also i hope that it will stay limited to in-game communication. We realy don't want to live in a world of dumbed-down "games" with no challenge at all. It sucks that some people cannot enjoy more complex games because of their disabilities, but this should not be used to ruin fun of others.

Last edited by Kigiru, Jan 4, 2019
  2. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    I mean, if there is a selectable difficulty of "invincible mode so you can enjoy the story" and it's an option, (and it's always been an option), why does it harm how other people enjoy the game?

I recall UDG doing this (giving the players accessible and rapid switching to an invincible character) to prevent the original VN fans from being unable to enjoy this game in case they weren't fans of action FPS.

As long as it's an option, and thus far it's basically always been one exempting walking simulators or VNs (which are genres that focus more on story and not gameplay) I can't see how it impacts the fun of others.

JeepX87 likes this.
  3. JeepX87

JeepX87 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Yes, I do notice that some gamers with disabilities used trainer on PC version to make easier to beat.

Ev1l0rd likes this.
  4. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Hell, I’d be glad if it forces games *coughspyrocough* to have subtitles and make othe games like Ni No Kuni 2 to have legible text.

Xabring likes this.
  5. GbaNober

GbaNober Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2016
    Yes i completely agree IF the game can improve the disabled person mentally and physically(as much as possible)
    like puzzle games,But if it's just a Game that squeeze money and TEMPORARILY boost their dopamine.i think that's too much for a disable person..

6. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States

Now the reason for Nintendo's version of chat on the Switch becomes clear. If they pass it off to some other device they don't have to worry about this legislative bullshit.

7. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    wow, this is the first time you have said anything rational in this site, congrats.

Xabring likes this.
  8. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    Ha ha!

9. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Wow, there are so many uneducated people in here. Smells like Trumps voters.

Pip'

Xabring likes this.
  10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Care to elaborate on what you find objectionable about this legislation or the people discussing it? Or is this just a drive by troll post?

CrossOut likes this.
  11. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Well for most of the people "Discussing" it.. I find objectionable that they apparently don't a) either read the damned article, b) have no reading comprehension.

12. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    This :

Pip'

Last edited by Pippin666, Jan 6, 2019
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    One of those is for a different thread but OK.

One of those I would probably have written off as a failure to see sarcasm (it is a noted problem in textual communication).

The other seems like a reasonable position -- from where I sit this is a forced do nothing especially good but cause traumas anyway piece of legislation.

14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I'm so glad this passed.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

As long as the subtitles are optional and not forced, I'm down.

15. JeepX87

JeepX87 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    The subtitles are always optional in most games in current generation, but some games have forced text box, especially Pokemon games and Super Mario Odyssey.

Even they mandated subtitles in movies so they are all optional, but some anime movies tend to be subbed.