US legislation requires new games' communication aspects to be accessible to those with disabilities

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jan 3, 2019.

1. CrossOut

CrossOut Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I all for it. the more people who can enjoy games the better. I imagine a blind man on a brallie keyboard calling someone a twat, then the other bloke goes, you should have saw it comming....ha!.

2. guicrith

guicrith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    Does this apply to homebrew games or any not for profit game development?
    I know they wont likely get sued but is there an exemption for people who are making there own game and want it exactly a certain way(or just dont want to or cant do the extra work)?

3. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Good!

In case anyone wonders relevance or wants to know more, I highly recommend Mark Browns series about gaming with disabilities. He has several episodes dedicated to subtitles, UI and that stuff.

Legally doing this makes sense, on TV we also expect subtitles for those with hearing disabilities.

I'd link the series but unfortunately I can't seem to find it rn on YouTube. Look up gaming with disabilities, it's really interesting.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If it's anything like games already providing this stuff (there's a lot of games that already offer this to a degree, varying from clearly outlining the UI to throwing a color filter on it), it'll be a settings thing and fully optional .

4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You joke, but I believe it was Contra that is considered the first handicap-accessable game due to having chest codes for variable difficulty

Also, I've only gotten through the first page and the amount of comments that could be summed up as "gotdam ess jay double-yews are taking over!" is disheartening, to say the least. This won't, and realistically has no capacity to even be, a bad thing, but clearly some of y'all hate the idea of having to consider how a disabled person might need accommodations when communicating so much that you feel the need to hit the forums in panic.

Never change, GBAtemp

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Have you ever considered that, like, sometimes legislators do good things because they're just... The good thing to do?

5. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trap

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    In your fridge
    Indeed, a ton of games already do this. So I honestly think this whole thing is a waste of time, resources, and especially tax payer money. It's stupid, but whatever. What do you expect from the FCC these days?

6. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Why are people complaining again? Is it because it’s actually difficult to implement particularly if speech to text is involved or because it’s simply the government?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Have a look at traffic light timings some time. Also that is a rather simplistic view -- it is only the law because they say it is, more accurate would be to say they are there to try to compel behaviours.

Are they? Also the thing described is a fairly token effort. Subtitling, winding in text to speech or vice versa (much less one that is any good at either), or whatever this ambiguous piece of legislation aims to do is something else when applied to long form gaming. I have done lesser versions of it before for websites, restaurant menus (which also have to have all sorts of nonsense about allergies on them) and so forth... the thought of doing that for something the size of a game...

How many devs have we seen say "fuck it" over the years when it comes to translations for spurious/dubious reasons? I don't see the need to legally mandate an actual reason to*. If people want to note it in reviews, create nice guidelines for devs to try to implement if they can, hack things, made overlay programs, make frameworks/APIs, some kind of box art symbols they can have, and so forth then more power to them (I have even helped do a few of those before) but to legally force it... yeah.
    Mind you if there is the "do nothing" option I pondered earlier (text can't be wrong if there is no text at all, and people are then left with having to join third party communications) then that works well enough, still find compelling distasteful but hey. Similarly a carrot rather than a stick also works for me for this -- some kind of tax break, small grant.

*many things here are not trivial changes, and the way a lot of games are made are not prone to being as such.

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I've seen way more invasive/unnecessary legislation *cough* removing net neutrality and broken healthcare *cough* more than I've seen good from politicians. Unfortunately I'm too deeply ingrained in that mindset not to be cynical about it.

9. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    I understand that, but that was why I said that would be the idealistic definition in a later post.

10. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Dunno, the fact that a lot of games do it means that legalizing it is more of a case of "it's universally done and generally improves things, let's make sure that this improvement becomes the standard so that companies can't at some point budget it out if it ever gets unprofitable" (because you know those asshats will gladly stop investing into improving accessibility if it ever starts to get too expensive for their tastes.)

It seems more like a formality and an assurance to give those few publishers that refuse to do this a kick under their ass to do it.

Dr.Hacknik and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  11. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    so, that means that Maybe Nintendo will be forced to DROP their insistence on using the freaking app that we clearly don't need as proven by epic with fortnite, of ALL game makers?
    I mean, let's be honest, the app is harder to set up and make it work that simply plug a simple free-hands headphones from a smartphone you probably forgot on the smartphone box to the switch. and Maybe while we are at it, suggest to epic that add a font upgrade to their text chat (like, adding a black backdrop to the text to make it easier to read or something).

Last edited by Xabring, Jan 3, 2019 - Reason: typos and adding stuff
    MyconMama likes this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    More like they will have a reason to continue to use it. If there is nothing in the game to complain about not catering to the whims of the differently abled as nobody has anything in the first place...

13. Jvhellraiser

Jvhellraiser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2018
    United States
    Thats great lets make tomb raider series /GOW simple/easy, lets add in the select option for difficulty one thats says only for autism people then watch autism people conplain about it.

14. bodefuceta

bodefuceta GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    Brazil
    I hope this makes developers think online will be too much hassle and just make games offline as I like them.

15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Reading comprehension must be hard

Plus, even if your snarky comment was relevant, that's one hell of a false dichotomy

MyconMama and Jonna like this.
  16. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I forgot to sharpen my pitchfork this morning anyway so it's all good.

osaka35 and Xabring like this.
  17. face235

face235 GBATemp's Official Lurker

Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Beyond the 4th Wall
    THIS! THIS SO MUCH!!!

osaka35 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    ...more people buying games doesn't lead to more profit?

Last edited by osaka35, Jan 3, 2019
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Why was I quoted when I see nothing on what I said? WTF?

20. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Not sure. I had a response on another tab, and responded to this person first and I guess it merged them. Sorry about that :P

the_randomizer likes this.